Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up early this morning. It don't need an alarm clock since I have the puppy in a crate. He lets me know when I should get up and take him for a walk. After I walked him, I fed both dogs and took them out again in the rain. Then, I made the mistake of sitting down to drink some coffee. The puppy crawled into my lap and promptly fell asleep. Sitting there listening to him snore and the rain hitting the roof was so relaxing. I have always struggled with the balance between work and play. Play being anything other than work. When I was much younger, older people would tell me that there would come a time in which I would wish I had taken more time to enjoy myself. I laughed. When all of my friends were having good times, I was working. As a teenager, I was spared all of the stupid things everyone else does simply because I didn't have enough hours in the day to do them. I have tried to strike a better balance in life but it is so hard. I have reached an age now where I can see the fruits of my labor. That makes me think it was worth it. Dw is the same way. She spent many hard years in school training for a career in a male dominated position. She was told many times it was not the place for a girl. We get along so well because we both are very serious people. The time I have spent on this site is more than I have spent doing anything outside of work in many years. I hope, as I get older, I can continue to incorporate more things that I enjoy doing. Maybe this is the first step.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aww, you'l have to post pics of the lil pup...i would love to see him...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I was awoken by the dog crate alarm this morning too!

I think you surround yourself with things you enjoy. You wouldn't work so hard, if somewhere deep down inside, you didn't enjoy it. Know what I mean? I think when your young, you enjoy working hard and seeing your success. But then, when you get older, I think your perspective changes. When retirement is around the corner, you realize that working isn't everything, and you have to find other things to fill your time.

When I worked...I worked 60+ hour work weeks and I worked in a male dominated field. It was tough, and hard, but I loved it. But then came the days that work and deadlines, meant missing my kids activities and I realized I wasn't there for them enough. What had changed? Really nothing. I still loved what I did, but my perspective had changed a bit, and I realized that I needed to make changes in order to be happy. Luckily, I had a hubby who supported the idea of being home with the kids, so I was able to do what I needed to do.

I'm not suggesting something so drastic for you, like quitting your job, but I think you have to strike a balance and find whatever works for you. And it sounds like you may be at that point, when work isn't fulfilling every need for you, since you are contemplating your happiness. You'll find a good balance, it sounds like your puppy is helping you find those peaceful moments! :)

·
19,119 Posts
Interested thoughts and you always express yourself so well. So glad that you have your puppy - pets are so grounding - they know how to have balance in their lives!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate your comments. With my puppy, I am not sure peaceful and puppy goes in the same sentence. He has been a great addition. I have been able to give the treadmill a break while I tried unsuccessfully to wear him out. I do think age brings perspective as Momto2Boyz points out. Now, if I had that perspective along with youthful exuberance, that would be great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts