Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I use this system for lots of things especially grocery and misc. Although I don't follow his plan 100%, I do like most of his plan especially the budget part of it.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Good read...thanks, CJ!

·
Registered
337 Posts
This looks very interesting

to me. I think I may try this. I've never read any of his books before. Has anyone ever bought his envelope system?:turtle:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I bought two of these http://www.daveramsey.com/shop/Designer_Envelope_System_P261C76.cfm
One for dd and one for me. LOVE it! Looks very similar to a real wallet, unlike the black Deluxe Envelope system. I've got envelopes labeled for Blow, Grocery, and Gas right now. Every payday I put my allotted cash in them. When it's empty I'm done. Sure does help me keep aware of my spending, using cash hurts more.
There's also a place for the checkbook with pen holder. Places for your drivers license and cards. Two zippered places for coins. Nice.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
tightwadmommy said:
Pammyboat,
Are there envelopes in the wallet? The picture is too small to tell the details.
Thanks!
I was wondering the samething!

I have used the envelope system off and on over the years and really need to get back to it!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use the evevlope system and I really helped me to slow down on my spending. I try to tell others to do it but nobody listens to me :( (my friends and family). I don't use a special wallet, I use actual envelopes though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yes, there are 6 envelopes, a clear ziploc-y thing for coins, 2 sheets for tracking expenses, place for checkbook w/ pen holder, slots for cards (license, debit, etc), and a zippered place for coins on the outside. The flap has a magnetic-type closure for easy closing. Really, everything I wanted in a wallet with envelopes included. :)

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I lihe this system, me and hubby will try this summer when hes back at work, so we dont over spend
Thanks alot, very helpful.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Im with Mandi on this one. I purchased a box of 100 small envelopes from the local Dollarama here and pretty much just write on the bottom left what the money is for, and set goal if its something Im saving for. I store them in a plastic pencil box or actual pencil case - one thats big enough to hold the envelopes.

Then I turn the envelope upright (so its vertical) and write down the date and amount I put in for that day and keep going until Ive reached my desired goal. This is only good for savings.

For ongoing expenses - I do the same except if I start with $100 for groceries for the month of March/06 Each time I take out $ from that envelope I write down how much was removed and how much was put back in and the date. This way the last # you see is the actual current balance inside. I keep the receipt in there as well.

If I run out, oh well...theres the budget for groceries all gone. Then I have to make due with what I have stocked up. Unless its something I really need then I may borrow from another envelope - and of course track it.

Tedious but you still keep track of money and have it on hand. And dont toss away the monthly ones. You will have every store you spent the $ and the receipts as back up (in case you need to return something) and can see just exactly what you bought. Its great for trying to plan a budget and set goals on what NOT to buy in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts