Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I have to take my 9-week old daughter to get an Upper GI/ Barium Swallow Study done at the local Children's Hospital due to her reflux. From what I understand, they'll give her something to drink and then take an x-ray type picture. I think the hardest part will be not feeding her for three hours before we go to the hospital-- she normally eats every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I'm glad the hospital is only about fifteen minutes away!

Has anyone else had this test done on an infant?
And other than changing or increasing her reflux medication, what sort of treatments would they be looking into?

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Amy, my thoughts and prayers will be with Maria, on monday. Poor sweetie...:angel2: I hope it won't be too hard for her...and you too, Amy. Good luck and keep your courage.:hugz:

Lucie:)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
No information here for you, just wanting to let you know your dd will be in my thoughts and prayers. {{{{hugs}}}}}

Please let us know how things go.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I've had the test done myself, but I don't have any information for you. I hope all goes well and that your daughter will be feeling better soon. :angel2:

·
27,948 Posts
I'll be thinking of you! Hang in there through this time of many questions. Wish I could help you more. Please ask your docs any questions you have. If you forgot something you want to ask ~call ( no matter what the ?) that's what they are there for. :) Hug to you Amy!!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I don't have any information either, but as you think of a question, write it down and take the list with you. Darlene is right, that is what they are there for, if you don't understand the answer tell them that. You need to know!

My thoughts are with you and Maria. :hugz:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
My Daughter had this test done when she was really tiny too.

I'm really sorry but she's six now and I can't remember what happened next :confused: I'll ask my DH in the morning just incase he can? (if so I'll let you know)

Anyway what I do remember is the hospital told me she might not like the Barium as it doesn't taste very nice ~ She took the whole lot so fast it was unbelievable and then screamed blue murder for MORE! lol.

Try not to worry about it ~ I know we do when they're little but I've had 3 out of my 5 in hospital for what seemed like 'serious' things (some were!) and it all works out in the end! We just go gray in the meantime lol.

I'll be thinking of you :hugz:

I'll let you know if DH has a better memory than me ;)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I don't have any information either but I wanted you to know you and little Maria are in my thoughts and prayers. :angel2:

·
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all of you for your kind words... it turns out that me worrying about the test was much worse than the actual test. She did fine-- only cried when the test was done and I was changing her back into her clothes-- this kid hates to be naked/cold!

The test was simple, they fed her a bottle of barium while she was strapped to a table and took pictures of various angles as she swallowed. She didn't seem to mind.

I asked all my questions when we got there, and they were really good about explaining everything. We'll get the results when we go to the pediatrician on Monday.

Thanks again to all of you for your support... as you could tell, I spent the weekend getting stressed about this, and I appreciate having online friends to vent to. :)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Amy, I hope that your results were good. I have kept little Maria in my prayers. :angel2:

·
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to post Maria's results- sorry!! They were good- she's got reflux, but ONLY reflux, nothing else. It's not going into her lung, there aren't any deformities, nothing. The medication was increased and seems to be helping.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and support!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am glad she is doing better due to the medicine increase Amy. I hope she continues to thrive.

·
27,948 Posts
That's great news Amy. Give your little sweetie a hug for me.:heartsm:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Amy! That is great news!!! I'm so happy it's nothing serious.:heartsm:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
What great news for Maria and you. I'm happy to hear she did so well with the test. :hugz:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts