Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how to deal with this... I crave sweets (especially chocolate) whenever I'm stressed, upset, frustrated, overwhelmed...you get it. I'm good with moderation on pretty much everything *except* this...

The big issue? I'm hypoglycemic...so, sweets are BAD, BAD, BAD for me... Sometimes I can get myself to skip it or just have something else as a "treat", but lately. >< Ugh!

I had a BAD blood sugar crash last week. And, just 36 hours before midterms. Which meant I lost my cram time (fortunately, I study all semester, but would have MUCH preferred the review/cram time to lying on the couch, miserable and weak). This is effecting my education and life goals. How do I stop these cravings?

I've tried being logical with myself...health effects, scholastic effects, etc. When I'm utterly stressed out...it's just my coping mechanism. >< It's truly ridiculous. I know this. Ideas? Thoughts? I already try to not keep ANY in the house, but sometimes it slips in and I inhale it at my first stressed opportunity. :(

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Buy a good quaility chocolate in bite sized pieces. (Dove is my choice of poison.) Put the pieces in the freezer. When you want something sweet, pull out one piece and suck on it. It slowly dissolves and makes you feel like you are getting more than you are. It also takes longer to eat, so that makes you eat less of it.

Frozen grapes and frozen strawberries (cut into chunks and frozen loose on a cookie sheet before baggied) works as sweet things. And, again, they take longer to eat because they are frozen. Actually, all frozen berries work.

Lollipops/suckers work also because they take a while to eat.

After you eat your alloted amount of sweets, go brush your teeth. It makes things taste nasty (especially if your toothpaste has SLS in it). And, actually, after eating that much sugar, you should brush anyway. Your dentist will love you if you do.

Buy sunflower seeds. Shelled works because you have to crack them to eat them. The unshelled work also, but you have to eat them one by one. Yes, they are tiny, but it takes forever to eat a 1/4 cup and by then, hopefully, you are either sick of eating something or full from all the protein or it takes up all the time you have to eat and you have to go do something else.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Deal with the stress. The only way to do that is exercise. Literally.

When in stress our body releases a huge amount of adrenaline to prepare us for the coming battle. When the battle doesn't come or is a mental one, not a physical one, our bodies have a hard time dissipating the built-up hormones. BTW, this is also why we get sugar cravings. Our body thinks we're going to need the energy.

So the only way to get over it is to exercise. We have to physically move the adrenaline out of our system. Follow up by lots of water to help flush toxins. Then relax by watching a funny movie (we watch the Comedy Channel) or connect physically with someone (have sex) or take a bubble bath.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Agree that you need to work on reducing stress. Stretch out, do yoga, go for a walk or a jog, do anything but eat.

Second the idea to keep good chocolate in the freezer. Find a dark one, 60-70%, that will have much less sugar in it but still give you a really good chocolate 'hit'.

I have also been told that small candies, like tic-tacs, smarties, etc can help. You suck on *one* piece and it will raise your blood sugar just enough to reduce the cravings without giving you too much sugar. Of course, you have to stop at one.

I don't know what meal schedule you're on but I know things can get wacky when you have to plan around classes and maybe work, too. You know to keep your blood sugar level with balanced meals and snacks throughout the day, right? Maybe you can plan small treats during the day. Have that square of chocolate before you get totally stressed out.

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exercise would definitely be a good stress-reducer. I just never seem to have any free time. (I know, not a valid excuse).

I've tried having only dark chocolate squares in the house. That was the best-case scenario; semi-successful at not eating 5 in a day. Other things just slip through the door, though. And, I seem to have zero portion control when there's anything sweet in the house. :(

Yes, I do small meals throughout the day. Lots of protein (though, I'm more of a protein shake, nuts, pb person vs. meat).

I hate to say it, but I think Brilly is right (cold turkey). :( It just sounds so awful...

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
No not valid. I have the same trouble. I somehow "learned " that if i do something I dont like I get a treat to compensate. Trouble is its always food.
I do eat choc. Even though I'm diabetic. But I have learned the following
-keep only 1 in the house and eat it w/ intension. Not in a distracted way.
-never bring the dang box w/ you.
-excercise in between on breaks. Do it in counts of ten.
-suck the choc. in your mouth then breathe. I dont know why but this releases tension and I eat way less.

As far as excercise a jumprope is excellent. It fits in your pocket. You can run out and do some and dive back into the work.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Good point Brilly! Those drug store deals on chocolate has gotten me into a lot of trouble recently. Why is it so much cheaper when you buy 4 bags? My plan is not go on those aisles or even look at that section of the ad. Come on Will Power!

This may not help since I'm dealing w/a different health issue (acid reflux), but chewing gum really helps me. It keeps me from snacking & satisfies the sweet craving. I'm trying not to keep chocolate in the house at the moment... not sure how long my will power can hold out though. My DH also loves chocolate... guess it our vice.

Reactions: Luv2BeFrugal

·
Registered
895 Posts
When I first read this post I was thinking you were suffering from hypoglycemia, which seemed really odd, because then eating something with sugar is advicable. However, would you be allowed to eat something with a non sugar sweet? Same system as in people suffering from diabetes? I know for sure it exists, especially for chocolate, so maybe that would not be such a problem.

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I first read this post I was thinking you were suffering from hypoglycemia, which seemed really odd, because then eating something with sugar is advicable. However, would you be allowed to eat something with a non sugar sweet? Same system as in people suffering from diabetes? I know for sure it exists, especially for chocolate, so maybe that would not be such a problem.
Actually, no, it's not advisable. I'm guessing you're thinking of HYPERglycemia (diabetes). HYPOglycemia is different...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
You can try baking some low glycemic chocolate bars. How about some granola with cocoa powder added. Or maybe making a fruit smoothie with cocoa powder added, plus you can freeze it. Making pancakes add cocoa powder to it. Get the idea. I have been trying to wean myself off of my chocolate chip addiction. Have been mixing cocoa powder with honey which seems to help. Try adding some cinnamon powder with the cocoa powder. It will help to sweet the food more that you are adding the cocoa powder to. Also check the ingredients in the chocolate. Many times an ingredient will just make you want more of the food. Remind yourself of this to help you stop reaching for it. Give yourself a while to change out foods.

If I remember right this time of the year gets stressful for you. Try getting more "relax" time. Hang in there.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
when I have chocolate I keep it in the freezer on the very bottom so I have to pull everything out....these are some alternatives that work for me

try hot tea it is a nice stress reliever..

Music and dancing.

lighting a candle.

I enjoy listening to my Bible on cd/or whatever u would like

cuddling with a pet

going for a long walk with my pets

sitting on the patio

watching an hour of something funny on tv

visit with a friend...

house cleaning

finally if all else fails put your face in the pillow and scream your bloody head off

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have hypoglycemia also. My sugar dropped so low from not eating breakfast one day before work, I felt like my body was vibrating from the shakes. My nurse made me have some orange juice with sugar and graham crackers to raise my sugar. I haven't figured out how to keep my hypoglycemia under control, besides just making sure I eat. I feel it when it gets low, I get cranky, shaky, and achy. I am really not a huge sweet eater anyway, but I think carbs like bread and pasta are the same thing and I get really hungry when I don't have simple carbs. I wish there was some magic remedy. I am putting on weight because I am constantly hungry and not eating right because of my crazy schedule!! I even tried weight watchers which is great for hypoglycemia, but I was always starving!! Hopefully you figure something out that works for you. Hypoglycemia is very frustrating!!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I would say to eat some nuts like some raw almonds they are good & give you energy or have a cup of hot tea. It keeps me going.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts