Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you all deal with set-backs in your financial plans. I had all my plans set for this year to be debt-free except for the mortgage by sometime this summer. Now I've had three hospital admissions and the medical bills will set my plans back. I am very thankful for insurance and know things could be a lot worse. It's just that I feel discouraged, and I've been beating myself up over this. Trying to keep a positive attitude, but I just want these bills paid and to start saving for me and my family.

When your plans get side-tracked, how do you keep motivated and positive?

·
27,948 Posts
:hugz: Big hug Autumn. The swelling going down & pain lessening? I sure hope so. Most important thing is keeping you healthy, getting back on track $$ wise comes second or third or fourth...
I guess what helps me through the tough times is to remember where I've been and how even when things were really bad there was a light at the end of the tunnel & things would & did get better. They do, they always do.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I know what you mean about set-backs. I think the biggest thing that has helped me was sitting down and making a plan to deal with it and putting it on paper. The truth is you can change the plan but for me it feels like I have a small bit of control with an idea where I am headed. We are looking at several dental bills (including both kids getting wisdom teeth out) this month as I am trying to get everything done while they are still on soon-to-b-ex's insurance. I had planned to pay of debt with the income tax refund but as soon as the dentist pointed out what they needed done, that became a dental fund.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:hugz: Big hug Autumn. The swelling going down & pain lessening? I sure hope so.
Thanks for the hug. I sure can use a big hug!! No, unfortunately the swelling has not gone down. The pain is better since the doctor prescribed Vicodin, but it still wakes me up. I go back to the doctor tomorrow and have more blood work. I'll keep you posted.

If anyone notices swelling in one leg, be sure and see your doctor immediately. I didn't realize how much pain and swelling was involved in a DVT; especially one that is in the thigh. I still can't bend my ankle and knee very much. I don't mean to sound preachy, but if one person can be spared this pain, I will be happy.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
You just keep on keeping on. Pick yourself up and start where you are. Don't get discouraged by things in the past you have no control over. This is why an emergency fund is so important.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I hope you start to feel better soon Autumn. I can't imagine being in that kind of constant pain. Set backs in my financial plans are difficult. I try to keep going, I made a decision two years ago to get out of debt and I keep trying. The set backs get me down and then I have to do what I can to get myself into a positive frame of mind and try again at life and at tackling the debt.

I am realizing that even though I made a great plan to free myself financially, life likes to get in the way. I think it's one of the lessons I need to learn, I need to keep getting back up and trying. I am trying to go with the flow of life and do all I can on my end now. That's where frugal village comes in and lends a hand. I find such strength to continue eating meals at home, I feel empowered not to spend money just to spend it. I wait months or longer now to buy anything I "want." I have faith that things will get better, even on my worst days I try to hold onto hope and faith.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree putting a new plan in writing will make you feel better. Things may not be going as originally planned ( do they ever!),but putting in writing an amended budget or savings plan, at least you will feel better. Usually works for me. When I have had things go astray on me, I take a deep breath, write out a new budget, and realize OK, I have a plan, I can deal with this and 6 months from now ( or whatever time frame it works out to be) I will be back on track. It will make you feel a little more in control of things! Chin up and best wishes.

G

·
I realize that not everyone can do the same, but I always remind myself how young I am, and that I have the whole rest of my life to achieve my financial goals. I REALLY want a house, but we keep hitting up the "down payment on a house" fund for other things - like tax money we're going to owe. So it seems like we have to start over all the time. I just think to myself that while I may buy a house before I'm 30, I will definetly buy one before I die!!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Big hugs to you, Autumnlynn:grouphug: , and take care of yourself. Try not to worry, things WILL get better. As someone else advised, it always helps me ,even just a little, to make a plan. Then I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

--Michelle

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wow, big big ((((hugs)))). I didn't realize you are going through this and feel such sympathy. We've had some DVT's in our family, I know how debilitating they can be. Hang in there!!

Then only encouragement I can give you is that now you know this plan you're on works, it's worked for you already, so when this passes and you're healthy again just know that, yes, this was a setback, but you can get through it. Why? Cause you already have. You know how to overcome these things, you've done it already with what you've accomplished already.

My thoughts are with you while you get better, hopefully soon!!!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
autumn, if I may ask, what happened to you? it sounds terrible. best of luck to you.

I was in the hospital in January two times with my asthma and pneumonia. I was released from the hospital and about a week later I woke up with swelling in my left leg. My doctor thought at first that it could be from the steroids I had taken and was still taking. It stayed the same for about three days and then on SuperBowl Sunday I woke up and my leg was terribly swollen. I had to go to the ER. I had a contrast CT to make sure there were no clots in my chest or lungs. Then I had a Doppler test and they found the clot in the thigh. My doctor said it could have been from all the inactivity because I was in the hospital 13 days and then 5, I think. He isn't sure what caused it. It has really been painful because of so much swelling and I am pretty small (115 pounds) and the doctor says this causes the pain to be worse because my leg is stretched so much. I didn't really think this could happen to a young person, but believe me, it can! I go to the doctor in the morning and I will post an update.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
hhuuugggssss Autumn lynn!!!!!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thank you for this post, and to those of you who responded. I have been in a similar situation, but had not quite waked up to it. This has spurred me to make a new plan, and quit mourning the old one. I started a new job, with a new home, and a new plan on April 17th. I was sent to the ER twice in my first month at work - once was a severe allergic reaction with anaphylactic shock, and the second was never identified but mid-conversation my BP dropped severely and I turned grey. They never figured out why, but I nearly died, and spent most of last summer being scared to do anything - scared to be alone, scared to drive anywhere, scared to exert myself at all, etc. I have recovered from the fear, but had not moved on from my dissapointment about my derailed plans. So, time to move on for me. Thanks for the motivation! I'll make a budget and plan a garden tonight after work! It's a start.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Edna,

I'm so sorry you have gone through such a hard time. I'm glad that you are getting back on track. I'm determined to get back on track, too.

UPDATE ON SEEING MY DOCTOR

I saw my doctor today, and he said the clot I had (or have) is about 6" long and it is blocking the blood flow. That is why I'm having so much swelling. I also have phlebitis (that's what the antibiotics was for). He said it will just take time to dissolve but since I am on blood thinners it will dissolve in time. He said in the meantime, he would try to make me as comfortable as possible with medications, keeping the leg elevated, etc.

He said if the swelling continues he will send me for another Doppler, but in the event there would be another clot, the treatment would continue the same.

I had blood work today and also saw my neurologist who takes care of my migraines.

I guess I will just have to tough this out the best I can. He again reassurred me that I was not in danger any longer.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Sending good wishes :well: and big hugs :hug2: !!!!! Even for someone as upbeat as you are this must be terribly trying. There are lots of good vibes being sent through the web your way!!!!!

You asked: When your plans get side-tracked, how do you keep motivated and positive?....The other ladies have offered wonderful positive advice...what I do works for me, and is positive for me, even though it sounds negative. Here goes.... I consiously "let" myself be negative. I say all those negative things I'm feeling out loud, I have a good cry and feel sorry for myself if I'm feeling bad enough.....then.....once its all out...I ask how am I going to fix this??? I plot it out and I start over. I find that if I don't consiously "let myself" vent it all out I can't refocus. All the negatives keep running through my head unless I let them out. Once I've had my vent I usually know what my real issue with something is as well...not just the one it looks like and I can fix it more apropriately. Then I go to work crunching numbers or doing whatever I have to do to get started on what I'm fixing until I feel the negatives building and have to vent again. I always feel like new after I've "cleansed my system". Sometimes a good cry is much more a positive then a negative!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GG,

Thanks for the suggestion. I really haven't cried and I try to be strong, especially around my kids, but I think I do need to vent. Being sidelined for so long is so hard to deal with. I had bloodwork Tues. and yesterday the doctor called and doubled the amount of Coumadin I was taking. I hope this dissolves the clot.

I appreciate the prayers, good thoughts and hugs from everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts