Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that a whole pile of people listed losing anywhere from 3 to 10 pounds this month. What are you doing in order to reach your goals? December seems to be an extra-tricky month for weight loss.

For me, my goal is to lose one pound a week and to just maintain weight during a holiday week. I find that if I set my goal too high, I tend to want magic to make my weight go away, rather than to work earnestly at it. 7 years ago, I lost 30 lbs (more than I should have) by learning how to eat and exercise. Over the years, I slowly put that weight back on, and then took 5 pounds back off. I still have some of the healthy habits I gained in the beginning, but I know exactly where I've slacked off: not enough exercise (although I never stopped entirely), drinking beer/alcohol, and eating too much, especially fast foods. I've nixed the fast food again (yay!) and I'm making sure I hit the gym at work at least 4 days out of the week. I've trimmed down on the eating, but that could use a little more attention. My entire goal is to be 10 pounds less than I am now, which would mean no fat over the abs. That would make me and my straining pants happy.

So what is everyone else doing to lose weight?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I started Smash the Fat diet on the 26th of November. I will continue in phase 1 until December 21st. At that point, I will probably take a break for a few days (eating-wise), but continue to exercise. Since starting last Monday I am already down 3 pounds. I love this lifestyle change.:apple:

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Squirt - I have the same story. A while back I had to lose weight for my health and I did it and then got too scared at the rate I was losing it plus I had never been that 'small' before. B/c it had happened so quick it was very dramatic and to me, I felt anorexic though others assured me I looked 'healthy' - not thin nor fat either. Since then I have gained some lb's back, not all but enough for me to notice I need to get back at it.

The best things I have done - eat proper meals and snacks like clockwork along with eating the right things and no junk, treats or snacks LOL. I try to eat home cooked food for the most part but I'm only a female with hormones that flare up monthly :dis: Tee hee.

I have added exercise back as a staple and aim for 3-5 times a week. 2 days are swimming though I am not good, Im struggling and burning alot of energy trying to be good at it and the other days are using the gazelle. All cardio. I have noticed that I have dropped some lb's but as I got a lil better at swimming I gained lb's. I think - hope too! - that the weight back is muscle. Despite the scale #'s being almost the same, I find I have more energy and am more alert and generally feel better. Plus my pants aren't "as" snug, none of my clothes are.

I think you're doing the best you can do - hiding behind the holiday season and 'missing out' on treats is an excuse but if you're a foodie, its a very valid one. My game plan this holiday - eat responsibly. I mean you wouldn't think of drinkig and driving so why not do the same with eating and your weight/health. Trust me, having a nice festive turkey dinner in July is awesome - pumpkin pie and all. Just b/c you dont eat it now at the actual holiday season doesnt mean you're deprived - just chosing to enjoy those tasty treats at a later date. ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty neat thought, Shorty. I'm going to keep it in mind that I could have holiday food at any time if I were so inclined. That ought to keep thoughts of scarcity away.

Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
To lose this holiday season I'm basically cutting way back on the holiday "spirits" and the processed foods. Sometimes I find that in my efforts to get deals at the grocery store with combined coupons and such, I end up with a lot of junky "non-food" food:spam:. I'm so done with the whole pre-made sugary breakfast bar thing - I know I added weight with those. I'm buying more veg for snacking/nervous eating too:apple::carrot:.

I also hope to get to the YMCA for a lot more cardio. I walk a lot but it doesn't take weight off - but it does maintain my weight at least. I used to lift weights and at one point in my life I ran 20 miles a week, but now 7 years into childrearing and working full time, well, there seems to be no time! I would LOVE to lose 10 lbs. too Squirt! My main "block" is fatigue - I need at least 8 hours of sleep and it is hard for me to get up, get housework done, and give everyone the attention they need when I am physically tired from a workout. I know in time I'll have more energy in the end, but getting to that point is the hard part for me. So does anyone have any tips? Good luck everyone!:reindeer:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Try to get the kids in on it sometimes. They are old enough to like to walk through a park, or you can play ball with them. Also, they are a good age to help prepare veggie snacks while you all watch something on tv together or listen to an audio book or just talk. That's the only way I got anything done when my son was small.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts