Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a cat (18 years ago) and it was a no brainer at the time for me to keep the kitten indoors, neuter and declaw...I'm not necessarily feeling the same this time around! As you know from my other post we're looking for a cat (1yr +) from a shelter not a young kitten.

Neuter/spaying is an absolute MUST but I'm totally unsure about the whole declawing thing AND whether this cat will be indoor only or have indoor/ outdoor privileges. Our climate is truly all four seasons with extreme heat as well as extreme cold. If a cat were to spend all night outside (or during the day while I'm at work) with it being winter esp...could be trouble for the kitty cat! I'm super worried that the cat will not be waiting to come indoors on MY schedule. It also bugs me a bit to think that my cat will be using my neighbors gardens or the park sandbox as a litter box. What to do!

So basically I need feedback yet again from everyone...

Oh and I'll be honest and say I'm not enough of a pet lover to tolerate total destruction of my house and that's sort of what I worry about with a cat that still has their claws & outdoor access...I have the total stereotypical vision of my precious new cat going to town scratching up my nice berber carpet then proceeding to jump up onto my curtains or bringing me dead birds & rodents LOL! Ignorant I know so educate me peeps!

Also, if anyone can recommend a cat forum that they like that would be great!

·
4,028 Posts
We have 2 cats and I'm not a fan of having them "outside" cats. However, they BELIEVE differently so I've learned to live with it.

Caesar, a stray who LOVES to be outside will sit and stalk the door so when a dog gets let out/in, the cat will bolt through. The first 2-3 years we had him we kept him inside. Now, Caesar goes hunting and loves to spend the night out and then return to sleep on my bed during the day.

Allwyn, the pretty boy who was raised inside but is now enjoying some time outside. He tends to prefer his nights indoors and I don't think he roams very far - at least not as far as Caesar. Allwyn will hang out and sit by the garden or on the porch for hours enjoying the sunshine and fresh air.

They both have their claws and I trim them monthly during the summer so they wear them longer for protection during the seasons they are outside longer. They get trimmed more often in the winter as they spend more time inside.

Both are neutered.

Reactions: momof2boys2005

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
don't declaw it's cruel. the only way i could deal with that guilt is if i adopted an already declawed cat from the pound.

you know they walk around on stumps after?

i have a pet door, he can go in and out as he pleases. he does go hunting and he does, ah, bring me "presents".

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am fervently against declawing, and recommend getting multiple scratching posts (the simple, inexpensive ones are fine) and putting them around the house before you even get the cat. Set him/her up for success.

As for the indoor/outdoor issue, I think this really depends on where you live. I live in the suburbs and would never let my cats go outside. For one, it shortens their life expectancy dramatically (getting hit by cars, killed by dogs, diseases) and also I think it's wrong to allow a pet to make messes in other people's yards.

I realize with adopting an adult cat, you don't know if this cat is used to going outside, but if you think of it from the point of view that it's really better for the cat's health, then it's worth the extra effort. Your vet bills will be much, much less if you keep your cat indoors. You can even limit the frequency and number of vaccines he/she will need.

Kara

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link...I'll check it out right now.

What do people do that don't have pet doors...I'm not interested in a holes in my doors.

Seriously how do you handle the fact that Chester isn't home yet but you have to leave the house for 8 hours and it's COLD out?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am fervently against declawing, and recommend getting multiple scratching posts (the simple, inexpensive ones are fine) and putting them around the house before you even get the cat. Set him/her up for success.

As for the indoor/outdoor issue, I think this really depends on where you live. I live in the suburbs and would never let my cats go outside. For one, it shortens their life expectancy dramatically (getting hit by cars, killed by dogs, diseases) and also I think it's wrong to allow a pet to make messes in other people's yards.

I realize with adopting an adult cat, you don't know if this cat is used to going outside, but if you think of it from the point of view that it's really better for the cat's health, then it's worth the extra effort. Your vet bills will be much, much less if you keep your cat indoors. You can even limit the frequency and number of vaccines he/she will need.

Kara
I too live in the burbs...

·
Registered
906 Posts
If it is going to keep the cat out of the shelter later in life because of it`s desructive clawing than I`m all for declawing.
That is exactly what a vet told us. We were told by the vet that most of these "horror sites/stories" are not quite accurate. I would much rather see a declawed cat being pampered in a comfy home than dodging cars and getting torn up in fights because it is booted out because of shredding.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Personally I prefer indoor cats. We don't have any pets, but I am tired of the neighbor cats using my yard as a litter box. I should not have to de-poop my backyard so that my kids can play in it. I am also very allergic to cats and would be prefer not have to deal with them.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Declawing is cruel. It is actually taking their 1st knuckle. Declawing isn't just the claw. Like another poster said get a scratching post for every room. Put nip on them and take the cat gently scratching its claws on the post and praise. If it starts doing the furniture remove it to the post.

I keep my cats in unless i'm out w/ them. I love my animals but don't kid myself that there are cruel people out there. Or cars or tainted garbage or cat unfriendly dogs. Occasionally a cat will sneak thru my dogs legs. I hate sitting up and waiting hoping it won't encounter a raccoon or possum.

Lastly,I want to say-there will be damage and accidents. If you can't handle the thought of that its best not to get one. Good luck.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Declawing is amputation. Period.

They now sell (for lack of a better word) tips that you can put on your cat's claws. They last quite a while and keep the cat from doing any damage while inside the house. I have seen them for sale at Pet Edge, and they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
washable slipcovers help too. i can wash the cover on my sofa, bed, and chair.

need to buy stock in those rolly lint things.

edit: i forgot to say my cats love this thing. i have it in the the middle of the path on the floor. everytime they walk by, satifying scratch, walk by, satisfying scratch... http://www.walmart.com/ip/SmartyCat-PawsPad-Scratch-Pad/14962339

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lastly,I want to say-there will be damage and accidents. If you can't handle the thought of that its best not to get one. Good luck.
I'm not new to owning pets (just not as experienced with cats) so I understand that accidents happen (I do have 2 boys LOL) but constant damage no thanks. Will I stay away from owning pets because I'm not ok with my house being turned into zoo NOPE!
I didn't realize the reaction some might have to my considering and asking about declawing (guess it's like BF'ing and circumcision LOL) but I wanted to know peoples thoughts. This is all hypothetical anyway cause I don't even know if the cat I'm planning on adopting IS a scratcher to begin with LOL! If there are alternatives to declawing an indoor cat (yes I'm leaning towards indoor only) that may be prone to scratching everything then I'm all for learning & implementing whatever’s necessary!!! BUT if it ever came to it I think I would seriously consider spending the money on declawing ($500+) before I would let the destruction get too bad and have to consider giving up the cat.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
you're overthinking this. get a litter box, tidy cats 5 lb sack of litter, an old spoon to scoop with, a laser pointer for fun, and go to the pound and get the older cat that speaks to your heart! :)

oh, and cats like the friskies with the gravy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL You're right I am!!!!!! You should have seen me when I was pregnant...I couldn't even stand myself after a while with the what if's hahahahaha! It's just I worry that I might not think of something important ahead of time and then I'll kick myself BUT I will take your advice and run with it! TY! :bfly:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think all the questions you are asking and research you are doing is commendable. The tens of thousands of pets killed each year in shelters die mostly because of people getting pets without putting enough thought into it first. Good for you!

Kara

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I have a cat Tigger we got her at 6 wks old and at 8wks we got her declawed cause she climbed up out screen door! She's 12 yrs old now and have no problems she goes outside occasionally but she stays in our yard which is and acre and a half. She can't fight with other cats when they come around but then she wants inside so no problems there & she can't climb trees to get birds. She doesn't damage furniture or screens without having claws. So I would say to declaw your cat.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.