Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holiday season is quickly approaching, is your home ready for entertaining? Mine sure isn't :lol:.

I'm still unpacking here and at this point I am just throwing stuff we don't want into the garage. I'm not sure why I packed half of this stuff in the first place :rolleyes:.

What about you? Do you have decluttering to do before the holidays?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have been working on decluttering for that past few weeks.. We don't entertain, but I do it for Christmas decorating..

·
19,119 Posts
Cleaning and decluttering is the focus of Novemberr for me. Papers and crafts all band together to be my nemesis!! Working on it all a little each day!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ugh- the thoughts have my stomach turning! LOL! I don't have a party or a get together planned BUT there is always several unexpected visitors through out the beginning of the holiday season and within a milisecond of giving up on the housework to relax for a moment Christmas evening (they always seem to show up while the house is in utter chaos!)!

I usually declutter some but this year I am going to the max decluttering! The kids have absolutley no space for any new item (us as well!), including a single pair of underware! I also have no "stash place" for any new item to store for Christmas. I am doing a challenge for myself to get everything together for December- actually right before Thanksgiving break! Anyways starting tomorrow I want to have at least 1 kitchen bag full of items to donate and 1 small bag of garbage rid of each room in the house (of course I am hoping for more to be gone- but it's a start!). Also I need to go through my old present stash and make a nice donation to toys for tots (that will help me get more space!).

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yeah....I should get on that.

We usually cut trees right after Thanksgiving, and my house has been volunteered for dd's baby shower on the 10th of Dec. So, I'll need to have the decorating done for that.....including all three trees we put up.

Sigh.....and here I sit.

·
19,119 Posts
Stinkbug - what a wonderful idea - plan a shower in order to get decorated to go!! Love it - think I'll do the same!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Decluttering and deep cleaning is my project for this month! Then I will start decorating for Christmas! :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've been working on decluttering for the last few weeks. Some friends and I on another board are challenging each other and its been great and all of us have gotten a lot done.

As I'm decluttering and decorating for seasons and holidays I'm going through stuff and either keeping and storing in totes that are labeled, tossing if its not useful, and putting what I don't want into boxes for a big moving sale next year. We are building a new home in the spring and I want to have all I can ready, labeled, to be stored in the basement of the new house for next years seasons/ holidays, and get rid of all that I can so I won't have to haul it to the new house. So far so good. Today I just put a few Thanksgiving items out and put away in a tote some of the other fall items I'm keeping...some scarecrows etc. I'm buying totes along so all my seasonal/holiday stuff is packed away nicely.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've been gone a while...but now I'm back. I love this forum because you all inspire me! YES! I need to do some decluttering before Christmas. Fortunately, my kids are older and don't have "toys" cluttering their rooms, but still! Here we go!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'll be entertaining for the holidays, but I'm decluttering just for the heck of it. I'm going to make sure everything is cleaned out and ready for the holidays. Plus, I have a baby due Christmas week.

·
19,119 Posts
Wow - am I glad to see this thread up again!! Major work still needs to be done and I have three weeks to get ready!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Oh me too Maui. I'm having a birthday party at my house for my Aunt around the 7th of Dec. I really need to get moving on things. I've got lots of decluttering and moving of furniture to be done before then. *sigh* I could just kick myself for letting the month of November slip by.

·
19,119 Posts
Polly - you most certainly did not let November slip by - you were very busy as I recall!! I do know what you mean - and tend to think the same myself, until I realize all that I really did get done!!

Am definitely using my daily/weekly list to keep my focused!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Well Maui, I guess I'm looking at it from the what I got done in previous months. November has been full of colds and I just was a slow as molasses in January the entire month. :( I did get some done, just need to get so much more done to be company ready. kwim

:note: Hi Ho-Hi Ho-It's off to work I go :note: :swave:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
No guests visiting for the holidays, but I just can't take the amount of stuff we own anymore. I'm in the mood to purge everything and have been decluttering away the last two days.

We have a dry bar in our family room. It has storage boxes behind it that have been there for years. Filled with my sewing and quilting stuff. I don't sew! I don't think I will ever get to sewing in the next five years either, so purge, purge purge. I am working on getting rid of all of that, clearing off the bar and making it a little art studio area for my daughter for Christmas. The dry bar has shelves and it's just enough room for her to have her own little artistic space with an easel and all of her art supplies. I can't have her art supplies out in the open because the younger two kids would have a field day, so this is the perfect little area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.