Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your style?

I am very minimalist, I like bare and clean, but warm. We have a paint colour called "Earth Tone" by Behr on our kitchen walls, I absolutely love it. It's an orangey brown, which I think is perfect for a kitchen, apparently red/orange tones stimulate the appetite. I love it because it reminds me of Arizona, which is my favourite place on Earth. I plan to use it again in our next home.

Pictures attached, wide angle lens again, the kitchen is actually much smaller in real life.

·
19,119 Posts
Love your kitchen and agree about that color - perfect!!

we have a galley kitchen with white cabinets and appliances. DD painted the walls a Chinese red - makes a really nice accent color. There is definitely too much clutter on the counters - I'll tackle that sometime this summer if not before!!

Reactions: monkeywrangler71

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what it looked like when we moved in

I ripped out the cupboard hanging from the ceiling, pulled out the counter with the wobbly drawers and replaced it with the wood counter unit from ikea, painted the walls and cupboards, replaced the faucet and flooring. We had someone come in to replace the door.

The previous owners took their jungle of houseplants with them.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Wow! This is great! It's a total transformation. I love the counter with the open storage underneath!!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You did an awesome job so sleek and clean just love it

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the compliments.

Don't forget to share your own kitchens. Styles, descriptions, paint colours, and/or pictures. Or if you don't like the kitchen you have, share your plans or dreams for improving it.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
The color you painted your kitchen is the exact same color that DH mentioned he wanted. :lol: That's so eerie! I looove the butcher block island you have on the other side. If I had the room, I'd definitely invest in one of those.

We're going for a clean and minimalist, but modern kitchen too. We're still debating the countertop color, but we're basically putting all of the color on the walls and in the accessories.

In the end, we'd like a functional kitchen that includes a kitchen banquette with storage in the corner. I absolutely love your kitchen!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
You did an awesome job on your kitchen reno!

Our kitchen is kinda dated - tiny floral print wallpaper yet I like it b/c its colourful, neutral 'buff' type colour wood cabinets, white appliances though a black dishwasher (go figure?) and black counter top. This was how it was when we bought the house 10 yrs back.

It has been cluttered by my dad for the last 10 yrs as well LOL

I don't think I'd reno too much - basically remove the wallpaper and paint instead and reduce the clutter.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
My kitchen is really small - 11x11ish

I describe my home as "In-home Industrial".
The walls are painted a dark Titanium gray color.
The cabinets are white, the appliances are black.
The hardwood floor and corner piece is birch.
The racks etc are Grundtal.

I will take pictures of it... eventually :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My kitchen is really small - 11x11ish

I describe my home as "In-home Industrial".
The walls are painted a dark Titanium gray color.
The cabinets are white, the appliances are black.
The hardwood floor and corner piece is birch.
The racks etc are Grundtal.

I will take pictures of it... eventually :lol:
I always eye those racks when I am in the store, but had no place for them and couldn't envision how I would use them. I will look forward to your pictures, I'd like to see them in a real kitchen.

I wanted to rip the rest of the bottom cupboards out when we got that Varde piece and do them all. But that corner unit was too wide for our space. I never thought I'd like open storage, but I really do.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I really love what you did with your kitchen! It looks fresh and new and it's really amazing compared to the "before" photo. I don't even think I'd have the imagination to do what you did.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Love your kitchen. It turned out great. My kitchen is small and it has basement steps in it. So it is hard to arrange things. Have been thinking abour things that I want to do to it. Ikea has cabinets that I like. Just have to have the funds and finally have all my ideas settled. I have changed my mind a lot trying to fit everything. Will post pictures so you can see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I always eye those racks when I am in the store, but had no place for them and couldn't envision how I would use them. I will look forward to your pictures, I'd like to see them in a real kitchen.
I will get pics up soon -- hopefully this weekend.

I would have preferred no upper cabinets at all, but I had to keep resale in mind.

If given the chance to do a different kitchen, I would do all lower open storage/drawers instead of upper & lowers.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
We have just done our kitchen. It is almost finished. While I like my new kitchen just fine, well more than fine. It is not what I have always imagined my dream kitchen to be. I wanted a white country kitchen. This house does not scream country in any way.

In the process of deciding what to go with the white cabinets we could afford looked cheap. And cheap country was not the look I wanted. We ended up with a nice wood tone that goes with the rest of the wood trim in the house and black granite tile counter tops. We used large 24x24 tiles and there are few grout lines.

I love your kitchen and the before and afters are amazing! I love the open shelf piece too!

In the beginning like I said country was the way I wanted to go, Dh took down two of the old cabinet years ago and made me open shelving. With the new cabinets they don't go that well anymore. We will be getting the matching ones that we just put in. Just have to save up for them.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will get pics up soon -- hopefully this weekend.

I would have preferred no upper cabinets at all, but I had to keep resale in mind.

If given the chance to do a different kitchen, I would do all lower open storage/drawers instead of upper & lowers.
Short girl's dream :lol: My fantasy kitchen has no upper cabinets, just a few open shelves above the bottom cabinets. I get so frustrated by all those cupboards I can't reach.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Short girl's dream :lol: My fantasy kitchen has no upper cabinets, just a few open shelves above the bottom cabinets. I get so frustrated by all those cupboards I can't reach.
EXACTLY!!!! I am only 5'2, and with my bad knees, I can't use a step ladder every time I need something.

When I had the kitchen remodeled, I did have them drop the uppers to only 16" above counter. I still have a hard time reaching anything in the back of the first shelf :lol:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts