Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have never worked for a place where people find the little issue make it into a big issue and then CC the bosses ( immediate and director ) when they ask why it happened-
when you answer why it was done - because what you did was right to do - you never hear about it again .

its almost like people fear their jobs being taken so badly that they look for people to nit pic on and then show their superiors to say ohh look at that .

Whats worse is when its done when you do them a last minute favor and come to work when its not your weekend to work - what they are telling you is 100% wrong on their part and in their desperation to be right they keep arguing the point with the clerk who got the email first .

I gave up - i wrote my 3 letters of resignation tonight and will drop them off when i go by the office tomorrow to drop off the things i used working today ( another volunteer day ).

its good money 1 weekend a month but not for the stress . i broke down the actual time i am using between friday sat sunday and mondays returning the stuff -and it comes out to ~ 25 hours work - + 2 hours driving ( and that doesnt count the fact i am on call from 4p friday to 8 am monday and then have to check emails each day thru wednesday to see if there were any issues .

i figured i can make that money back at my other job picking up 25 visits a month which often take less than an hour each- is closer to home and no BS to deal with .

I actually do not even need this job anymore since i started the visits one but i started the in office one when i was too sick to work visits - now oddly enough its stressing me and setting my fibro off so making me sick .

But i feel guilty almost quitting it while trying to pay things down - but my sanity and health comes first .

i offered to stay thru end of year so they had time to hire and train someone new ( only 4 of us know how to do it which is crazy IMO they need to make the supervisors learn how to do it all in case we are sick or have an emergency ) .

i am nervous about having all my eggs in one basket job wise but feel a great relief at my decision .

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am a home health nurse myself and "the office" can drive you to drink. I love the "job" (actually caring for the clients) but I also wonder if the stress is worth it at times. But I love my clients so much I put up with it. But something I have learned over the years of nursing (both in home health and just the career of nursing in general) is that you should do a good job and care of your clients to the best of your ability but its very easy to make the mistake of putting the 'profession" ahead of our own families or health or happiness. Being a nurse doesnt mean you have to just give and give and never get anything back for yourself. It is in the end a job and people who work in factories and other types of jobs arent expected by the company to sacrifice everything for the sake of thier careers and I am not sure why nurses are expected to....sorry this is my soapbox....but I have learned that in this field companies will sometimes use anything to get what they need/want and thier favorite leverage is guilt and taking advantage of nurses good nature. Good nurses are caring, but you have to remember that caring means caring for yourself and your family also. You can't be good at what you do unless you care for the caregiver KWIM?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do actual visits at the job i am keeping -that is what i really love to do

i dont like office politics - but it worked when i was too sick to work out in field.
the one i am quitting is 100% administration office stuff for 3 counties- intake -scheduling - complaints- you name it 2 of us do the work they need a 3 story buildings worth of people to do Mon- Fri and they still are stupid enough to nit pik on us when we are one of 4 RN or 2 CSS that can actually do the work . .

·
Registered
382 Posts
It sounds like a good move to me mom you can still do the part of the career that you love. I know you are worried about all your eggs in one basket so to speak but please remember the very nature of the field is that you actually have several baskets. Nurses are used pretty much in every area of healthcare and if its physical limitations that you are worried about there are so many areas of nursing that arent so physically taxing. Remember you have knowledge and that is worth alot to employers. You can do research or be an adjuct professor, you can work in the heart station. There are lots of options if that becomes necesary. But your health issues are aggrevated by stress so seems to me keeping a job that makes you sick, in case you get sick doesnt seem like a good idea KWIM?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
part that worries me is this new idea if you dont have a bsn we dont want you . so they can brag they have all BSN staff .

i would rather brag i had nurses that really wanted to be nurses and dint just go into it for the hours and $$ .

i can understand for new people coming but for people who have been in the field for years its kind of insulting .

my nursing school 26 years ago didnt even offer a assoc . until the class after me .

but i can tell you we had 100% passing of the boards and knew how to do more hjands on care than the bsns that came to work at the hospital i did and now i have 26 years of experience .

i have a latex allergy that cancels out alot of places- i cant physically do FT even sitting in chairs - sitting too long = numnbess -so alot of insurance type of jobs are out for me as they want FT .

i cant do anything night shift it will mess with my fibro if i mess with my sleep cycles .

no way am i even trying to get my BSN because i would need to do clinicals and i cant go into hospitals because even when they say latex free - they arent - if i could do it online and without clincals i would do it in a second - not because i tink it would improve me one but nursing wise - but the world seems to think it would.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I transferred into a position as auditor a few months ago because the politics and backstabbing on my floor at the hospital was causing me to dread going to work. I miss taking care of patients more than I thought I would. This new position isn't very exciting, but I'm trying to stick with it. It's a shame that nurses treat each other so badly!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I transferred into a position as auditor a few months ago because the politics and backstabbing on my floor at the hospital was causing me to dread going to work. I miss taking care of patients more than I thought I would. This new position isn't very exciting, but I'm trying to stick with it. It's a shame that nurses treat each other so badly!
It's this way in so many jobs, in so many fields, mine included. It's like people are just waiting to pounce on a so-called "issue" (which is usually so minor as to be laughable) to make someone look bad. I finally had enough of it and told my boss that it was statistically impossible for me to always be in the wrong. The job pays too well to walk away, but some days I'd sure like to! I'm very tired of dealing with nasty little people who are so insecure in their own abilities that they have to try to tear others down.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mom to 5, where do you live? I am only an LPN and I have never had trouble finding a job but I do see that other states are trending toward more education for thier nurses. I have thought of going on for my RN but I am trying to get a home child care open because I also am tired of the politics. I just want to stay home with my kids and watch some of my friends kids and just spend my day away from other adults all together LOL

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am in NJ - i i have never had issues finding a job before - i probably wont- i have had many jobs that require BSN in their add and i was hired based on exp and knowledge have plenty of experience i just read the articles in the magazines they send and they make me nervous LOL

I am in my late 40s so hitting that considerd older area LOL
i dont wantg to work in an aoffice- i dont want FT i cant be in a hospital as i physically cannot do that work or private duty work with my fibromyalgia ( plus that and the fact iam only 4'11" so couldnt lift a pt well even before the fibro )

i currently have a job i love but if it slows down i slow down because i am not FT ( again a need to control my work hours etc ) - i just get nervous having just one job - almost all of my adult life i was at one or two agencies etc except when i wasnt working at all .

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It's this way in so many jobs, in so many fields, mine included. It's like people are just waiting to pounce on a so-called "issue" (which is usually so minor as to be laughable) to make someone look bad. I finally had enough of it and told my boss that it was statistically impossible for me to always be in the wrong. The job pays too well to walk away, but some days I'd sure like to! I'm very tired of dealing with nasty little people who are so insecure in their own abilities that they have to try to tear others down.
Although my husband isn't in the medical field, this is the same thing he comes home and says almost everyday! I do wonder if it is like Momto5RN said, about job insecurity. A sign of the times?

And momto5, I can't say I can add more good advice to what's already been given. But I will add that being an RN should give you alot of leverage in the job market. And with the circumstances you described, I'm glad you're following your "gut", and resigning. It's that same "gut" that's telling you it is best to leave there, and for the sake of health and sanity, there's no time like the present. Too bad for them, because for them, it's going to turn into "you don't know what ya got till it's gone" kinda thing. But you got "bigger eggs to fry", and a big family who needs a healthy mom and wife!

Hoping the best for you!

Theresa :flowers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.