Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I lived in NY, I lived near Durand Eastman Park and my backyard backed to a nature center, as well. They had a bait and shoot program where they would bait and shoot the deer. There was a serious population problem. It was a daily thing for me to see 5-10 deer walking through my yard a few times a day.

Now I live in MI and I see at the gas stations they sell food for deer. Old apples and corn. It's stacked up right along with the bags of mulch.

My question is why are they feeding the deer here? Surely, there isn't a deer shortage. Can I assume it's just because more people hunt here and they are luring them with food?

**edited to add** the bait and shoot program was a govt program. Residents weren't baiting and shooting. The shooting was done in a localized area of the park where the population was heaviest and where many of the deer were unhealthy.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Good question. Here there is an over population of them, in fact they extended deer hunting by one week.

It could just be there is a deer shortage or maybe its to attract tourists. There certainly must be enough food for them there, especially if you have fields of grain.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
City girl opinion here:

When we go to Yosemite area, we used to buy grain and hand feed the deer. I said USED to because I know realize how dangerous it could be to feed any wild animal. But none the less, being a city girl I am very excited at the sight of any creature like that in the wild, i don't see that kind of thing too often, so I would guess that is was a tourist attraction.

·
27,948 Posts
Hmm maybe you could ask.
Even though we had heavy snow and ice and dear were hungry we did not feed them this past winter. There really are too many and since NYS doesn't seem to be doing enough to control the population all I can do is let mother nature do the survival of the fittest thing. Seems like more car vs deer accidents even in Summer (the thought of one coming into your path as you drive at 55 mph is a scary thing indeed) and where I only used to see them in winter someone in my family sees one everyday. Very dangerous and destructive to have so many.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I have neighbors that feed deer in the winter ....... Baiting them isn't very sporting is it ?????? It's like shooting fish in a barrel......

·
Registered
948 Posts
In MN, baiting deer isn't allowed. You can feed deer in your yard, but if the purpose is to hunt the animal, you cannot feed or bait the deer. That doesn't mean it isn't done... dh and I used to hunt in a large party and one of the guys would bait deer near his stand with apples. I don't think it ever paid off for him though!:toothy:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I believe baiting wildlife here is also illegal, but some people do it anyway. In our area we have a lot of people who have retired and moved down from the large northern city areas like NYC, DC, etc, and they enjoy feeding the deer so they can sit on the porch and watch them, but I do think there is a lot of baiting going on too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts