Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a bag of lemons that had been reduced for quick sale. I want to dehydrate them, but I'm not sure how to get good results. I dehydrated some last year and they are brown, and don't really taste that great in tea. I think I may have dried them at too high heat. (Now I dry everything at about 125 degrees.) So I might try to dry slices again.
Do any of you get good results drying lemon slices, or should I just dry the peels and grind them for lemon zest?

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
8,714 Posts
~No advice on the dehydrating, but you might consider freezing them. I buy tons of limes when they're on sale 12/$2. I wash and grate the zest into ice cube trays and cover the zest with a bit of water(keeps zest from getting freezer burned)and freeze. Then the limes are juiced and the juice frozen in another ice cube tray. I transfer all the cubes to a zip bag in the freezer and they keep beautifully!~

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I hope someone answers, as I want to know too.

If you don't get an answer, you might try the dehydrating forum from last summer.......seems like someone was doing that.

I just do the zest.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Preparation: Wash well. Slice 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
Drying temperature: 135°F (55°C) for 1-2 hours, then turn down to 120°F (50°C) until dry.

CAUTION: Do not dry the peel of fruit marked COLOR ADDED.

Dryness Test: Crisp. Snap when broken.

How to use: You can add slices, or broken off pieces in hot drinks. I prefer using it powdered.

If you dry only the peel, it has about twice the strength of fresh peel.

Storage: Store in the refrigerator. Limes are the exception - store limes at 40°F or above.

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo for all the info - think I am going to freeze mine!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. I ending up slicing the lemons and drying them at 125 degrees for about 14 hours. They came out a beautiful yellow color and they taste good, so I think the problem with the earlier batch I did was drying them at too high a temperature. I also dried the bits and pieces, after scraping off most of the white pulp. I ground these in a coffee mill and have a little jar of lemon zest as well as a quart jar of dried lemon slices. Not bad for 5 lemons!

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I dried a huge bag of them last summer and they turned out beautifully. Have been enjoying them in hot tea all winter long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts