Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deliciously frugal chewy granola bars

Recipe Description
These are big hit with my kids and they are a good high fiber treat for lunch boxes.​
Preparation Steps:
preheat oven to 325 degrees
lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish​
Level of Difficulty:
easy​
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
4 1/2 c oats
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 c butter
1/2 c honey
1/3 c packed brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips​
Serves:
18 bars​
Directions:
-Mix all ingredients then lightly press into pan
-bake at 325 for 18-22 min. or until golden brown
-let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars
-let cool completely in pan before removing or serving​

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Thanks--these sound great! :lip:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
These sound great. I might have to make some tonight!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Thanks for posting. I should try this recipe this week and see if my kids like them...I know I will! :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
~Sounds great! Have you ever replaced some of the oats with cereal?~
No, I hadn't tried that but I'm sure it would work. My dh has a health issue that requires lots of fiber and he is growing tired of veggie sticks and apples in his lunch so I use the oats as a fiber source. I have replaced/mixed the chocolate chips with raisins and/or nuts. My kids like the chocolate chip the best but for dh and I we will use various combinations.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the recipe. Do you think you could sub the butter for margarine?
thanks!
yep, I've used both and both are just fine.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds delicious and I have everything except the chips!

·
Registered
501 Posts
There's a similar recipe that I've used, and believe it or not, you can use 2 Tbsp. butter, and 1/3c. plus 1/4 c. peanut butter instead of all butter.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
How would you store these? I haven't made these yet, but want to know what the best way to keep their freshness. Would freezing them make them rock hard when they thaw?...I almost bought a big box of generic chocolate chip granola bars and didn't because I remembered this recipe.

Reactions: mama2James

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I made the peanut butter version of these last night for DH. Normally I buy expensive pre-made bars at the health food store for him to bring to work (keeps him from going to the convenience store/fast food as much) and when I went shopping yesterday, I decided I wasn't paying that price for them.

I remembered seeing this thread, realized I had all the ingredients and made a batch. I had just enough natural PB but it was at the bottom of the jar and it was dry so I only used 1/2 cup of flour and increased the butter to about 1/4 cup.

I asked DH if he wanted PB or with craisins, he wanted PB. They turned out great!! DH has already sneaked a couple. I told him if he ate them all he wouldn't have any for work this week.

Thanks for the recipe! Looks like I'll be making these alot more.

Now I have to go stock up on oatmeal, honey, PB, and brown sugar as I realized I'm low on all of them. Another bottle of vanilla extract wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I made chocolate chip and walnut ones tonight. I can't bake anything without nuts in it! LOL These are soooo good.

Reactions: elphie
1 - 20 of 60 Posts