Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to finally do what my mother never did for me, and what I neglected the last 15 years to do for myself:

Have my jaw realigned and my teeth braced.

I'm having troubles with my mouth as of late and after doing some thinking, I've decided to foot the bill for the surgery. DH's insurance would cover 50R% for braces and I would be able to work out a payment plan for the rest. Provincial health insurance would cover the actual surgery. My friend Josee had hers recently done and in Quebec, she paid $4500 for the whole thing.

Now, 50% of that would be totally feasible.

I'm just tired of the headaches, the jaw popping, the overbite, the canker sores and other mouth trauma that goes along with my unaligned jaw. My teeth aren't getting any nicer, either. I can't stand smiling most of the time because they're in such rough shape.

Has anyone ever had this type of surgery done and can offer me advice? I know about having my jaw wired shut and drinking through a dropper. I'm not sure about the rest.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
My DH had this type of surgery done about 3 years ago. He had braces for about 1 year, then the surgery, and then the braces on for about another year.

His jaw was not wired shut. They did use some rubber bands to keep things in place (and also screws). The first week recovery was pretty rough but he is very happy with the results.

Let me know what questions you have and I will do my best to help :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Are you having your upper jaw moved forward? My DH had that done and has screws in his face (I mean, not where you can see them, but internally). This was years ago. My friend had the same procedure done recently and his recovery seemed pretty fast, from the surgery. I am fairly certain he didn't have his jaw wired shut. He had braces for 6 months before and 6 months after.

I don't have personal advice for you, but good luck! I can ask my DH & friend more about it.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
When my DH had his they moved his lower jaw back and upper jaw forward. He did have to go back and get some of the screws removed in a seperate procedure.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't been back to see anyone about it since the first time it was suggested. But, at that time, I was told (by a military dental department) that my jaw would have to be broken and re-aligned. I have a large overbite, so I'm not sure if it would be them moving my upper jaw back to meet the lower or the lower brought forward to meet the upper.

A lot of the issues I've been having are canker sores and mouth trauma in the lower part of my mouth. So, I imagine they'd be moving at least one of the jaws to meet the other.

The last time I saw an orthodontist here in Canada, he wanted to bring my back teeth up with braces and align the rest of my teeth. I'm looking to have the jaw realignment and the braces done, and I know I'd be in braces for about two years.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
My ortho is Dischinger (Orthodontist Lake Oswego Tigard OR | Dischinger Orthodontics). You might want to shoot them an email and see if they trained anyone in your area. It might be worth it to get an estimate (especially if they do free ones) and see what they say. The running joke at the ortho office is that Dr. Terry just sits and thinks of new designs for the herbst.

They fixed my husband's teeth/jaw also. He had a severe underbite and his upper jaw was all cantywonkers. They did it without breaking his jaw (which is what he was told many years ago) or pulling teeth. The technology that they have now is pretty amazing.

My lower jaw was too small and it is apparently hereditary because one son had it also. One son had his lower teeth in front of his upper teeth and had braces when he was young to fix it (like 7 or 8). They are keeping an eye on him to see if he needs braces again (so far he doesn't). The third son hasn't lost all his baby teeth yet (down to one left and he has several adult teeth that are still growing in). We need to take him in and see if he needs braces or not.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks for posting about this--I will need dental surgery soon and posts about other's experiences have been helpful.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gonna call this week and find a good orthodontist that'll take the kids as well. That way, I can kill two birds with one stone. I know DS12 needs help with his crowded teeth. But due to his autism, I'm not sure how well he'd tolerate braces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.