Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your servicemember carry something with him/her during a deployment to remind them of home? We refer to it as a deployment token, something tangible for Zac to carry, to keep close when he is so far away.

Wesley has two small stuffed elephants that are exactly the same. Bernard 1 and Bernard 2, we call them. Somehow, Bernard 1 made it to Iraq with Zac and was always with him. Wesley always had Bernard 2. I always had Zac's wedding ring with me. He had something *ahem* personal of mine. I'm not sure what he will take with him this time around or what Wesley will manage to stash in his bag. The police department Zac works at is selling challenge coins engraved with the officer's badge number as a fundraiser. We're buying one for all of us to carry during the deployment.

I was just curious as to what other military families do, if they do something similar.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
When dd and her fiance' were deployed, she wrote messages inside his BDUs before he left....(like on the pocket liners) Sounds kinda goofy...but they were seperated about 7 miles for 18 months. He deploys again in Sept...I'll have to ask her if she has any ideas. They have custody of his kids now, so it will be a lot different this time.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I do not know any one who is deployed right now, but I think that is wonderful what you are doing within your families. God bless them for serving our country.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That is a great idea of a "token" I am going to have to send something to my son Josh. He just deployed this week.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hmmm, this is a great idea, I wouldn't think of what to send with the hubby, but I was always worried about the kids! The last time dh deployed was over 6 years ago, and our kids were 4, 18 months, and not born yet.

This time around, IF it happens like he wants it to, we are doing the daddy dolls. Sure, the oldest will think it's kinda dorky, but I know secretly she will snuggle with it at night. I would google them, they are kinda cool.

When does your hubby deploy? Mine is full-time AGR, and is in recruiting. He tried to deploy this year, but they threw a fit saying it would be too much change in the command. So we wait...

Good luck to you, and keep us posted on what you decide to send with him!

-vanessa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts