Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been much written about Depression ~ I know, I have my OWN libray! lol.

And as it is so complex and there are so many things that we can try for ourselves, each subject can be opened up and elaborated on and made into it's own book!!! :eek:

This can be very helpful, and I for one am definately an information junkie and believe the more you can find out about your condition and the more things you can narrow down and learn to help yourself the better off you will eventually be.

BUT sometimes the key word there can be eventually. A new way of living, thinking, eating, behaving (or whatever else may work for you) takes time, sometimes LOTS of it. And effort on your behalf (something you sometimes don't have!) And practice (when you need something right NOW)

It is also VERY important to realise that nothing you read, hear, or see is an instant cure that WILL work for you. Your first step should always be your OWN doctor and NOTHING should ever replace OR contradict what YOUR professional feels is right for you. (Although if YOU disagree you can always seek a second opinion)

SO......... without writing several books ;) Here are BASIC things that you CAN do now!

Firstly we MUST recognise that we DO have a problem in the first place, Accept it AND ASK FOR HELP!

Sometimes there will be things that trigger the way we feel and when we are too wrapped up in the 'feelings' it is hard to see and we can imagine that it 'came from nowhere' (sometimes it does that too!) IF we can identify the triggers then we have something 'real' that we can take steps working on.

It can be helpful to start to keep a journal - I'm NOT talking here (for the perfectionists amongst us) Something of Great beauty, where we used the right colour pen and made no mistakes and wrote in our best writing with pictures and scrapbooking and the works (can you hear experience here? LOL) But just a book or pad where we can scribble the way we FEEL. Also NOT a today I went to the supermarket and it was sunny etc. But how we FEEL! This can be a very useful tool in the months to come, it can show us when sometimes we DO have GOOD days (remember them?) and when they are bad IF there is a pattern.

Depression can cause all sorts of physical problems too. *You are a little like a convalescent. You don't feel strong either physically or mentally. The foods you crave are the simple foods - either simple to eat or simple to prepare - and you tend to go for bland flavours. Anything highly spiced, such as curry, is just too much for your system to cope with.

Because depression can affect your body as well as your mind you need to look after your digestion. You may be getting butterflies in your stomach or a lot of indigestion, so the food you eat must be easy to digest.

Most people have their own 'comfort' food, which they turn to when they are feeling low. Usually it is something sweet, but sweet comfort foods cannot and must not be your whole diet.

The secret of most comfort foods is that they need little or no preparation, so they can be there when you need them most.*

(*taken from Comfort for Depression - Janet Horwood*) I have a list of GOOD comfort foods if this will be of help to you.

Easy and nutricious comfort foods are a great way to eat for now if you have lost your appetite. Little and often until your appetite has been restored. Otherwise *Eating very little is an easy trap to fall into. It happens without you even being aware of it. You'll start off the day by skipping breakfast, and then lunch and by the time evening comes you are too tired to bother. Without enough food to stimulate your taste buds your appetite decreases. If you are not careful, you could soon reach the stage of having to force yourself to eat.* (been here too! :( )

There are LOTS and LOTS of different things which could either trigger or add to your depression - such as: your past, relationships, money, work, health, stress, lack of, or too much sleep, food, coffee and so the list could go on.

There are lots of organizations and information that can help you with each and every subject and separate problem - far too many for me to list here. There are also people who can help you NOW if you feel that you just can't cope. (those are no doubt different from country to country but you CAN find them in your phone book or through your Dr. and some you can even phone anonymously)

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! YOU ARE NOT DIFFERENT OR MAD!

The main thing is caring for yourself ~ taking the time you need to recover ~ just like you would care for your own child if it was ill. Pampering yourself a little, resting, eating and making a space for YOU.

When you are feeling better (and you WILL) then you can begin to work more detailed steps to stay with your recovery and carry on feeling well and happy One Day at a time.

Blessings to you all in recovery and prayers for your on-going strength.

I AM thinking of you!

:hugz: :hugz:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Bev - what a wonderful post, thanks for sharing that. Sometimes its hard for those of us who don't suffer depression to understand what others are going through.

It helps to read threads like this so that we can understand and give support.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
This is a wonderful post Bev. Most people in the "real" world who know me, would nver imagine the kind of depression I have had for the past few years. I am the kind of person who keeps everything to themselves because I don't want to bother anyone with my problems. reading your posts have helped me so much!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Wow!:angel: Thank you SO much Bev, that was wonderful!

This is something I deal with somewhat privately and for the longest time thought it was just me and figured I could "cure" myself. Didn't happen. I can totally relate to your post, thanks again.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Thank-you Bev.:hugz: :hugz: You are so generous to take the time to post these very helpful explainations about coping with depression.

Lucie:heartsm:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts