Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advice for developing an IEP? We have our first meeting on Tuesday. I am assuming the IEP team will assist me, but I want to be as proactive as possible.

TIA,
Sara

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
I think the most important thing with IEP's is to be prepared and open to new ideas. I would start with a list of things you think your child needs help with. You don't say why you are having the IEP but, for example, if the problem is with reading, I would list improvements I would like to see in his/her reading. Maybe help with sounding out words or understanding more of what is read. Be ready to suggest statagies you have found works with your child. Use the IEP team as a resourse. Remember, you always have the last word on which programs your child is placed . No one knows your child better than you do. You are the expert! I think the proactive approach is the way to go. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son has speech/language delays. I feel like I am learning as I go along or am one step behind and I am not happy about it all.

I do not want the system to tell me what to do. If that makes sense. I appreciate your input very much. I am very open to ideas always. I want the professionals to know that I trust them to do their jobs, but on the same note, I have read some absolute nightmares and realize now the importance of the IEP being well documented.

I'll let you know how our first meeting goes.

Thanks again,
Sara

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
IEP help

Documentation of your IEP is so important. Make absolutely sure that if it is said that the child will receive therapy 3 days per week then it needs to be documented as such-otherwise 6 mos from now when he is only getting it 2 days per week you will have no recourse. Have any doctor's scripts with you--if the dr feels therapy should be 3 days per week, get it in writing prior to the meeting. If possible, read another child's IEP to make yourself comfortable with the language and the set-up of the paperwork.

Take notes and do not feel embarrassed to ask questions, if they use letters instead of words ask that they familiarize you with what they are discussing. If you have any strong beliefs that you want some information provided to your child or not provided to your child, this is the time to bring it up. This is really the time for you to make sure that your child is receiving the services he needs and is entitled to.

This can also be a good time to discuss the past. If this is the first IEP, make sure you have a good outline-with dates and any available contacts- of services the child has previously received. Have an idea--at least in your head if not on paper--of what services you have been pleased with or not and why--what has worked, not worked and very important-what motivates your child. Make sure that any info you want added is documented--"I'd like to make sure these comments are reflected in the meeting notes" Do not be intimidated.

I hope this is helpful--if I can help at all please ask--I'm a stepmom to an autistic child and I supervise a day program for adults with developmental disabilities-so this is kinda what I do.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the iep meeting went well. The group is really supportive and I felt good about the entire meeting. We start speech therapy for my ds Jan 8. I think that's great considering the holiday etc.
I feel the goals outlined were satisfactory and I truly feel comfortable working with this group. My guard was up before this meeting because I wasn't sure what to expect, but by the time I left, I felt empowered.
We have the hearing tests appt in a couple of days. I don't expect there to be any issues, but need to rule them out.
I'll post updates soon. Thank you to all that posted and emailed me. I appreciate it so much.

Sara

1 - 5 of 5 Posts