Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the old joke about the husband who has a favorite chair that is completely trashed but so comfortable the wife can't get rid of it? My husband has a car.

It's a 86 Celica, his dream car out of college and it has been parked in the garage for the past ten years. It's a long story but he never properly titled it and hasn't been able to drive it the past 20 years. It is in good shape, very low miles and does run pretty well, once we get it started but it needs a whole lot of TLC to make it road worthy -- assuming we can "make it legal".

My problem is DH won't talk about it or do anything with it. I would love to see it running and have him enjoy driving it. He won't even look for the paperwork, what little there is, so I can find out what we need to do. I'd hate to sell it for parts, but if we can't title it, what else can we do?

Any suggestions on how I can make some progress with this? The car is just sitting in the garage taking up space and slowly rotting. I'm hoping that our "newer" car purchase this month will help stimulate some action.... but I don't know how to approach him.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
My dh has his 67 Mustang that has been in the garage for years too. It's not road safe either but we don't really have the money to fix it up. Sometimes I wish he would try to sell it to help with debt, but that's not fair of me to ask since it's his baby. :D But it is just there.......

Even if some things were fixed on it, it's not really a car you would drive around in. I think he just wants it for play.

So not really much help here. I remember those Celica's though.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I think the big attachment to cars like that - that sit and not get driven for whatever reason - is what the car represents: something they couldn't afford back when or would never be able to afford etc Or a memory attached with it that may or may not have been fully shared with you.

Maybe ask him if you two could have QT together by cleaning it out and get it road ready. Its summer time, you'd like to go for a spin with him, want to see him have some fun etc Whatever reason works best here.

Maybe help him remember & remind him why he bought that car to start by asking questions about the car in general? Bring back the memories :)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Libby said:
Or a memory attached with it that may or may not have been fully shared with you.
You mean like a backseat memory? :D Kidding!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get the vin (Vehicle Identification Number) off the car. It's on the left hand side( if your sitting in the drivers seat) of the dashboard all the way in the corner under the windshield. Take this number to motor vehicles and tell them you can't find the paperwork for this car. They will tell you one of three things. One- They have a record and it's in your husbands name and you can order a copy of the title. Two- They have the record and it's not in your husbands name- you will have to find a bill of sale or contact the owner on record and ask them to help you do the paperwork to transfer the car. Three - They have no record. If their is no record DMV will tell you what needs to be done to construct a new title. Your hubby probably knows all this and doesn't want to deal with it. If it was me and my wife offered to help with the paperwork and doing some work on the car with me to get it on the road I'd be a real happy camper.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I hear you on the car my dh has a 1979 Monte Carlo that was his first car. He is almost finished with restoring it for the second time. The first time was not as extensive as this time. It has taken him about 12 years to get it done. All his extra money has gone to doing it. With what he has spent on it we could have bought something else for sure. I do have to say he does have all the paperwork for it so when it does get road worthy again it won't be that much of a pain. He did turn in the tags years ago.

Like the op said get the VIN number and get the ball rolling even if he doesn't you can begin the process and see what you are up against. It may not be as bad as he thinks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts