Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dh has High Blood pressure , He is 24 almost 25 , I am worried abouyt how I should change his diet , he is exstreamly picky and wont eat "rabbit food" or raw vegeies or Lettuce , or chicken , or pork (good go the man is picky) any recomendadtions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think I would say to him "So you prefer to die?".. Anyway, other than that LOL..I would say lean beef..be sure to cut the visible fat and buy the leanest meat you can afford. YOu should sneak in veggies..just pretend he is a child..LOL...put them in sauces, hamburgers, meat loaf...
Fruits and veggies..find out what he DOES like and try to have those on hand.
Exercise is key also!!
:)
Tami

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
DASH diet

Hope that inspires some ideas for you

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I've had high BP since my late teens. The main thing your DH needs to do is cut waaaay back on his sodium intake. Smoking also contributes to high BP as does being overweight. I've been on meds for my BP for quite awhile and it's under control. I don't need to lose weight as I've been at or under where I should be my entire life, but I do need to quit smoking :bag:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Maybe a visit to a nursing home would help motivate him - often young people just aren't aware of the long-term effects of certain health problems, if they haven't seen someone they know be debilitated by them.

I also think it's fair to say something like "Ok, I know there are a lot of veggies that you don't like, but I'm trying to plan healthy meals - so give me a list of 5 veggies that you are willing to eat without griping, and if you want to say how you like them fixed, I'll try to follow your preferences almost all the time - please note I did not say ALL the time, sometimes we'll eat what I like! And remember, potatoes are a plant, but not a vegetable. So do you think you can give that list to me tomorrow night?"

Good luck.

I also agree with the sodium reduction probably helping, and whole grains might help. I made a lot of progress eating oatmeal (not the instant flavored kind) and eating a lot of cinnamon.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
MY Dh had very high blood pressure as well, he exercised and cut down on sodium intake alot and his BP went lower and at the same time lost weight.

I agree with the others about either explaining to him the final outcome of HBP (death) if he doesnt change the way he eats or as Edna E suggested take him to a nursing home, that might change his mind.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
* when making stews or casseroles put in low sodium veg soup and boil till he cant see the veggies lol Ive done it with the kids and with frozen cauliflower, broccoli, helps thicken the stew too
*ww pasta and put in clear containers he wont ever know the differnece. hide the boxes lol
*get no salt , taste like salt but aint
*lite beer if he's a beer drinker in the summer like mine on a hot day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts