Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe this! No note, nothing at all. This has never happened before. He always gets me flowers and usually a small piece of jewelry, I just can't believe he didn't even write a note or make a card. He said he left his wallet at home on the night of the 13th....big deal!! He had plenty of time before the 13th to do something.

I got him a big box of chocolates and a card, Momma got a big box of chocolates I got squat!

Totally depressed and bummed-out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Valentine's day is just a commercial way of making us feel obligated enough to spend money on our significant other. Every day should feel like Valentine's Day. I didn't get anything either, sometimes I do, sometimes not, if I do that's great, but I don't dwell on it, there is too many other things in life (to me) more important than a box of choccies or a card....

Just keep reminding yourself that Valentine's Day is a commercial ruse. Just like Mother's and Father's day.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
a tight wad holiday

I have to agree with the free bird. Valentines day should be every day.But sometimes men need a lot of help or they wouldn't get you anything,ever.That is why they made up these holidays.LOL I didn't get a thing and I didn't give anything either. A tight wad valentines day. My kids sometimes remind the DH but I told them not to. I would rather not get anything than something given out of obligation. My husband at one time told me not to support hallmark so much. So I pretty much stopped buying cards. You can tell what a romantic I married.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well I am supriesed that my dh somewhat remembered. What I got was a card and taken out to dinner. Well I am somewhat like frugal fannie. I belive that if I get something then I get something. If not then no big deal. Now I didn't get my dh anything. But it wasn't on prupose that I didn't get him anything. I got something after we weren't togeather. I will give it to him tomorrow. He is the type of person that he really doesn't want anything. But I do try to give him something pratcial. That is what pleases him more than some expensive gift. He suprises me. It seems like that he can be frugal in his own ways.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Frugal Witch...BTDT in the past, and I understand your pain. How disappointing that must have been....and then to have him say "I left my wallet at home yesterday", as if that excuses it...with no apologies. It is a horrid feeling to wait all day for the remembrance that "surely must be coming", and then have it really sink in that you were forgotten or blown off. You have to be blind and deaf to not know it was Val Day yesterday, and I do understand the pain of knowing that your dh, in your mind, was reminded ALL DAY LONG in stores, in the media, hearing others talk about it at work....and still made the choice to not get you anything. I'm so sorry that you're hurting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hiya,

My hubby:furious: did the same thing this yrs. He said it cuz I told him not to, But I only told him not to get me flowers...LOL..Our anniversary was in Jan so I had tons of flowers from then, I had a card for him and in the card was a lottery ticket for a $1 which he won $100.. So he said I could have the money.. It just not the same... He was doing so good he remember X-mas and my B-day which is on the same day and our anniversary..... Oh well!!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I used to think it's just a commercial holiday ,then i heard a lady say it was a cop out why not remember each other in some way it doesn't have to cost a thing to show someone you love them! I since changed my mind.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I released dh from any sort of gifts for birthdays, valentines, or mother's day. All I want is him to remember that it is my birthday/valentine's/mother's day and get me a card. That is it. He doesn't have to strain his brain and get me some flowers or chocolate or jewelry....none of which I want or need.

Just remember and acknowledge.

I'm sorry your dh did neither. It doesn't take a wallet to leave a note that says "I love you. Happy Valentine's Day". Especially if he knows your expecting acknowledgment.

·
27,948 Posts
He love you? If so, let that be enough. :heartsm:
If you are not sure then Valentines day is just the tip of something more going on and it's time to talk.
Hey, how long has it been since you have been on a date? Time to spice things up. ;)

And for the record he definitely could have been more lovey.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I'm like Heather... it's not the gift as much as the remembering.

It's been said that men and women don't speak the same language... they don't!

What a woman says - You don't have to buy me anything for Valentines Day

What a man hears - Don't give me anything for Valentines Day

What a woman means - Give me something for Valentines Day, just don't buy it

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Gripey and I didn't get each other anything. We went out to dinner and took my dad with us. It was a lovely evening. I had plans to cook his fave meal and he decided to put that off till maybe tomorrow night. Sssooo, remind your dh that all the V-Day stuff is on sale today for 50% off :lol:

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Sorry he didn't get you anything. My husband and I haven't gotten each other anything since we got married. We will go out to eat (but not on Vday...to busy, plus he managed a resturant and was alway's working that day.)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Frugal Witch...BTDT in the past, and I understand your pain. How disappointing that must have been....and then to have him say "I left my wallet at home yesterday", as if that excuses it...with no apologies. It is a horrid feeling to wait all day for the remembrance that "surely must be coming", and then have it really sink in that you were forgotten or blown off. You have to be blind and deaf to not know it was Val Day yesterday, and I do understand the pain of knowing that your dh, in your mind, was reminded ALL DAY LONG in stores, in the media, hearing others talk about it at work....and still made the choice to not get you anything. I'm so sorry that you're hurting.
I totally agree. I was in an antique mall recently and the woman had an entire section full of antique jewelry. I thought of you.I know you like it. You do so much out of love and duty for others.Above and beyond the call.I am sorry that no one acknowledged you on Valentines Day.I would have been hurt also.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I think that most men are wired different than women :). Things like a gift or acknowlegment of Valentine's Day do not take on the same importance that it does to most women. I am sure that he did not mean it as a direct snub or slur to you. I bet he loves you just as much today as he did last year on Valentine's Day, he was just not focused on gift giving. Did he get you a birthday gift or a Christmas gift? If he did I would let V Day go and focus on making everyday important :) . :hugz:

·
Registered
977 Posts
That had to hurt. I'm really sorry you experienced that and I hope you and your hubby are able to heal the hurt you have.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I too would be upset if my DH forget to get me anything for Valentines day. Not that I want fancy things, but I card and some flowers, or chocolate, or a small gift. I need to know that he is willing to go a little bit out of his way to think about me. This year he has been so busy, but he did stop at Walmart yesterday a buy a card, flowers, and stuffed animal. I made him some fudge.
I understand that Valentines day is commercialized, but I still need a little part of it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My DH didn't get me anything either. We both decided to make a nice dinner, steak, baked potatos and a berry crumble with wine. But we usually always throw in a little suprise too. This year I made him a hand made card and got him a bunch of his favorite candy, cost me $20 altogether. That was my blow money for the next two weeks. He walked in the door with nothing. He spent his $50 blow money on dinner for his friend the night before (I wasn't even there). He said he felt bad, so he said my valentines day gift is 8 years (that we've been together). How clever! That reminded me that my parents put him through absolute hell...HELL, for 5 years and he's still with me. So the disappointment kinda went away. Although, I did hint that I wanted a potted lily for on top of our entertainment center (he could've taken advantage of the awesome sales yesterday...lol)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts