Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background, our babysitter quit to find a job. So, I've called about 20 places and people. Finally found one, but dd has to walk to the bus stop with two other kids and no adult, not sure about that yet. So, during all of this dh is working out of town. Last evening he called, and said if I want to start a daycare, I should think about doing it now. I really want to, but yet am scared how I would get the children. Does anyone else here do this? Need advice! I really want to do this! What do you think?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm a bona-fide babysitter for three lit'l boys fulltime and two others part-time. I'm not licensed for daycare and don't have to be as long as there's no more than 6 kids other than my own two. I don't plan to be licensed for daycare, so that part I can't really tell you about but I CAN say that we LOVE babysitting. My two hooligans are 14 and 11(12 next month) and our babysitting venture has been wonderful.

We started by deciding to do it, putting an ad in the local paper and mentioning it at the library lol. Where we live, the response was more than I could take on, so getting the kids wasn't a problem. I hope it'll be easy for you as well.

Call a few area daycares/babysitters to find out what they charge and set your rate just a bit below theirs ;) If you don't want to call, ask around to see what folks are paying.

Choose your folks wisely, ideally set something like a 2 week or month trial period for each new family--that way if they're going to be late alot or not pay on time, you can usually see that in a couple weeks and either address it or choose not to take them on.

There's a few tips to get your thinkin' started! Feel free to ask anything else you can think of and I hope you get to do this and enjoy it!!

~~

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I found my in-home daycare through an online ad on desmoinesregister.com. It was the first day Breanne had even advertised her daycare. Her prices were extremely low (125$ a week no matter the age) compared to local prices (upwards of 175$ a week for an infant). I talked with her on the phone, my husband and I took Wesley to meet her. For Wesley, it was love at first site. He adores her and she adores him.

I would consider getting registered by your state. As a momma, I would never ever put my child in a daycare that wasn't registered. It provides another system of checks and balance. I'm not saying anything bad against sitters that aren't registered with the state, but that is just my own personal preference.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I know in our county, for licensed day care homes, they have a "list" of the licensed homes and the providers keep the county updated when they have openings. Around here, there is always a need for day care and the "empty slots" fill immediately - most providers have a waiting list of potential clients! I would check with your county licensor - you might be pleasantly suprised!

Day care is something that I would definitely consider doing also - I did it when my children were young. However, we are now a licensed foster home and our county does not dual license for both foster and day care.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
great idea if u got the patience. I tried years ago and I know once my kids were in school full time, thats when i knew i didnt have the patience anymore.
Good luck dear, go for it.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
It's a great way for a supplemental income. There are lots of write offs that are beneficial as well.

Advertise at local schools, i put up flyers at the local grocery stores as well. I have a website that I refer people to, and it works great. I always have a waiting list. I can only take on 3. Our regs here are no more than 6 under the age of 12 including your own. I have 4 of my own and 3 are under 12. But I make a decent wage, well a phenomenal wage if you factor in the $900+ savings on childcare for my own if I was working, the savings on groceries, wear and tear on vehicles, gas savings, clothing savings.

I'm hoping to retire in 18 mo when we are debt free except for mortgage. I've been doing it a long time and want to be only mom to my own for awhile..lol

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have an AWESOME website for you to check out! www.123child.com there are some wonderful women on there! There is a special section in the "chat" area for home care--highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I also watch children in my home. It has been a great experience. My own children have learned to help and to be a working part of the childcare. I find that not only is it a way to stay home and make money. I feel that my children have learned alot about other people, likes, dislikes, you know it takes all types to make the world turn. So my kids have turned out to be more tolerant, more kind and love to pitch in more. I recommend it to anyone that has patience. I always say the more the merrier...
Ms Louise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts