Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I'm jumpy enough when he is gone, so is the dog. So, last night I was sound asleep at 1am, and someone knocks on the door. Naturally the dog freaked out, I got up and peeked out the window, and someone was looking in at me!:surprise: I amost had a heart attack! I opened the door a crack, it was a woman around 30ish, and she opened the screen door, so I put my foot against the door, she asked for $10 then started going on about her friend got her teeth knocked out, etc... I said "I don't have any cash." I think that she was drunk, I went back to bed double checking all of the doors,but couldn't sleep thinking that she was going to come back and try to break in. OMG there are alot of wierdos in this world! Thank goodness dh comes home today!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I would have so freaked out!!! My dh travels out of town sometimes too - I freak out enough when the phone rings in the middle of the night! (wrong number, hang up, or fax) But the door - how did you ever go back to bed!?!?!?!? I would have NEVER opened the dooor! Glad your dh comes back today!!!!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
That would have scared me too, I though would have peeked out the door without opening it and told them I couldnt help. Glad you DH comes back soon. :)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That would have freaked me out also. Glad to hear your hubby is coming home today!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
oh wow, how scary! glad you are ok

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I would have called the police! They don't mind especially if you've been distrubed or awoken by someone. They can come out go around home, tour neighborhood and find this person and haul them off. Your not being a "penny panic" just a good neighbor. Pick up the phone the nexttime and get the police out there. You may be protecting someone other than yourself like an elderly neighbor.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
:yikes: I would have been scared too. It is amazing to me how people have the audacity to come to peoples doors and panhandle. I agree with Laurie, if it happens again call the police and let them know and they will send someone out to patrol the neighborhood. A drunken person out knockng on strangers doors in the middle night is not up to anything good.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I had a similar experience with a young woman at the door with no shoes on (right after I had moved into this house). She asked if I could give her a ride home because she had been abandoned at a party and thought she needed to leave it. I gave her a ride without even thinking, and then spent the next day freaked out about what "might have happened".

Glad you're ok. Might want to start locking the screen door.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
hmmmmmm i dont think i would of opened the door. Their alot of people who also pretend theirs something wrong, have partner around the house just to get in. Not trying to scare you, just be careful if u dont know them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That would so freak me out. I'm so glad it didn't turn into anything else!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
dont open the door at all in the middle of the night. thats what i would say. you cant trust people she could have pushed her way in. if i were you and DH goes out of town regularly i would get a cheapo alarm from the hardware store. the noise will at least let you know if something is amiss and you can call the police and if you must answer, answer with phone in hand and 911 dialed jsut waiting for you to hit talk

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I would have answered the door holding my rifle..LOL I think that might get my point across.

Seriously though, I think I would have stayed awake for a while and maybe called the police if needed.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My husband travels on a regular basis. I don't even open the door in the middle of the day!!! I live right outside of the city, so I'm accustomed to freaks and weirdos :screwy: .

I would have called the police immediately. After she wandered away from your door, she probably knocked on more...

Having a dog is a good deterrent... what kind of dog is he?

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I'd have let my dog answer the door. He's cranky.

LOL< i called the cops when my fil showed up drunk at my house, when dh was out of town. I don't play around with ppl showing up in the middle of the night drunk or not. (for the record fil was drunk outta his mind and had DRIVEN here, bad idea, called the cops he got in trouble for dui and disturbing the peace)

·
Registered
579 Posts
You never know if it someone acting as a decoy and pretending to be drunk, in need, etc...so I always keep my storm doors locked as well. Personal safety aside, I would be calling the police to make sure a drunk person does not injure someone else or get themselves injured. Glad nothing came of it and you are ok.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That is so scary, I agree that I probably wouldn't have opened the door. I would call the cops and then let them handle the situation. I had a weird neighbor in my last apt. building that knocked on the door at 12am, she had found my name on the row of mail boxes (I didn't even know her name) she wanted to borrow money. My fiance was thankfully with me and he talked to her through the door with the chain lock in place. I would never have answered the door if I had been home alone. I didn't have any cash, but wondered why she needed money so late at night and how many other neighbors she was pan handling in the wee hours of the morning.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know I shouldn't have opened the door. I was half asleep and not really thinking.:rest: Next time I'll just call the cops, and let them deal with it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I would have called the police! They don't mind especially if you've been distrubed or awoken by someone. They can come out go around home, tour neighborhood and find this person and haul them off. Your not being a "penny panic" just a good neighbor. Pick up the phone the nexttime and get the police out there. You may be protecting someone other than yourself like an elderly neighbor.

Laurie in Bradenton

I agree!!!! I've done it before. I'm Miss Nosey-Neighbor. If someone is roaming the neighborhood and I don't like the looks of it, I call the police. I've done it before, and I'd do it again.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Julie,

If you were one of my kids, I would have given you a stern talking to for opening the door!! If you ever do that again, I will personally come over to your house and give you a time out!! lol

I'm serious though, since I'm alone now with just my kids, I will never open the door, not even in the day time much less at night. I just yell through the door who are they and what do they want.

Laurie gave you good advice about calling the police. They will patrol by your house off and on all night as they are cruising around.

Glad DH is coming home. (Yours, not mine LOL)!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts