Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else do diapercakes? Have you had success with selling them?
I really enjoy making them and want to see if I can make some extra money selling them. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I like diaper cakes. There seems to be plenty of websites that you can buy them off of so there must be a good market for them. As far as making a business doing it I think first you would have to research and see if there are any laws in your town that would prevent you from operating a business out of your home and find out what you need to do to get a tax id# so you can take care of sales tax. I would also be inclined to think you would need to find a supplier. Granted you can often get deals at Walmart or Target, even the dollar tree, I would think a supplier would be beneficial at keeping your costs down so you can offer your product at a competitive rate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply and advice. I'll talk to DH about where he thinks I should go in our county to find out about the business and tax stuff. His family (my in-laws) own a business, so they'd know. Can't believe I haven't thought to talk to them about it. (well, I mean, DH knows I want to but we've not discussed it seriously yet)
Thanks again!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Also you might want to look around and see if there is someone else in your area who does diaper cakes. If there is its not a problem you can always make yours special, AKA a selection of diapers to be in the cake like several disposible brands, prefolds, "green-solution" disposible diapers,cloth diapers, pocket diapers, ect.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I love making diaper cakes. I've made a few and given them as baby shower gifts. Never tried to sell them though. Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I don't have any advice for you except to say I think they are adorable. Good luck with your business!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if it's gonna be happening now.
*sigh*
Did a few for a charity event. Someone decided they could do it better. They actually did. Their cakes look much better than mine.
Oh well. So much for that. LOL Too small of a town for two people who live off the same highway to be competing.
I'll just continue to do them as a hobby I suppose.
Thanks for all the support and advice though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Diaper Cake Business

My wife and I make all of our diaper cakes together. Our style of cake takes four hands to make, besides, we just put on some rock and roll and get busy making them...we love it! The rolled diaper cake style as well as the theme style cakes can be made by one person but we wanted to offer something different and something we could do together. Keeps it from becoming a chore.

You do the math...$37,000 last 12 months of which about half is profit after supplies. Some times there are 6 - 7 cakes in a day and then we could get 2 - 3 in a week. Seems like the orders come in bunches. Your busy (baby season) months are April to October.

As soon as you possibly can, get an assembly line type work ethic built into your business. At first it takes anywhere from 1 - 3 hours to make one cake but as you get an assembly line going it will get alot faster. It takes my wife and I about 20 - 30 minutes to make a cake. Understand that the profit from our business is not enough to keep either of us from our 9 - 5 jobs. So we have to "fit" it in and have learned to get real fast at making them.
We carefully wrap every cake in tulle netting which does a better job of keeping the flowers and topper where they belong, besides, it's way better looking. We then put them in a 250 lb test cardboard box from ULine.com. Our 16" cake board fits snug. We then fill the rest of the box with ultra clean packing peanuts (we are working on a cardboard insert system because packing peanuts are extremely expensive). It's probably overkill though because our cakes are put together so well you can actually hang them upside down and they won't fall apart.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Regards,
Don Perreira
diapergifts.com
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts