Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleared a lot off the floor today, in no way like Kondomari, she would not have approved of just shoving stuff in the place they belong without folding or making sure the item was in the right bin. It's fine for now. All the laundry is in piled up baskets. The bought Christmas presents are out of the room for my dad to take to the basement.

There are still two boxes from work when my friend packed up my desk, I have not had the heart to even look at that stuff. I look at my college diploma sticking out in its frame and cry. Those will be boxes that get done last. I hate seeing them and am very tempted to just toss all of it except my diploma but that would not be a good decision. Since DDad is having back surgery, I'm not going to have him take them to the basement just because I can't deal. DD is primarily at her dad's, I might slide them into her room so I can easily get to them but don't have to look at them all the time. she'll have a fit, but these days she has a fit over nothing so she can suck this up. I looked in her linen closet, practically empty! So I'm taking that over. there's a laundry basket of magazines that I like and haven't decided to send to the library yet, already got rid of a ton.

I stripped the bed, too much bending so asked cleaning lady to please make it and change the duvet cover. I love clean sheets more than anything! I have to talk to her after I get back from an MD appt about hiring her. Today was pretty tough because of the bending, for some reason that makes my pulse race and my BP drop and I am very uncomfortable. So my strategy was to sit on the floor sort things into piles on the floor. Then get up, trying to hold that pile so no bending, put it away and sit and rest, then repeat.

I hate this because the little I did made me happy and I want to organize everything and not live like this. If Konomari , or whatever her name is, works, supposedly you only have to discard, totally organize her way and then you never have to do it again. Ever. That's appealing, but she also believes socks have feelings and she applauds discarded clothes for the work they did. I think Kondomari may be mentally ill but she seems to work for others so on harm, no foul.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Yes, she thinks socks work hard and shouldn't be folded or rolled; instead they should be laid flat in the drawer so they can rest and relax.

And we're supposed to thank our used clothes for whatever they've done for us when we do decide to let them go. Example: "Thank you for showing me what I'm not comfortable in" or "Thank you for bringing me joy."

HMMMMMMMMM........

But hey, if it helps folks clean up and feel better about their surroundings, then whatever.

Anyway Bernice, you should feel very good about the progress you're making. And put that stuff in your DD's closet! She doesn't pay the mortgage so she doesn't have too much say in the issue IMO.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
ILC-DD and I had that discussion in high school. Along w/ why should i get a job?
And its your house clean it.

Bernice take pride where you can And if "Calamari" does it for ya Y not. I like fly lady.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the sock thing cracked me up. The things she says like that make me wonder how she has done so well with this book. I think a lot of people would read about the socks' feelings and think she's nuts, and not finish the book. If I didn't know a bunch of people who did it and love her and their lives are better, I would've stopped at the sock point, lol

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ILC-DD and I had that discussion in high school. Along w/ why should i get a job?
And its your house clean it.

Bernice take pride where you can And if "Calamari" does it for ya Y not. I like fly lady.
DD was easy about cleaning, her goal was that her room should look like a store, loved to organize, did her own laundry. I thought if I paid her, she would help me over the summer, she looked at me like I have 2 heads and said, "no, thanks". Twerp.

I have heard several people call Fly Lady the Devil, lol. So I haven't taken a serious look but I think her thing is do a certain thing each day, right? So if they were small things, that could work.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
fly lady-start you out cleaning the sink. Shes if you accomplish something small you feel more motivated. That part was no go for me. I need bigger payout.
I did the pick up 15 things and toss them. And I did clean hard in an area for 20 min. I think that was her. Either that or my adaptation from her. IDK maybe i was asleep dreaming~.

OK what does this really mean ~. I like it and intend to use it correctly or otherwise.~ ~ ~ ~.yep. I've lost it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fw, FlyLady was the first to really give the kind of advice and strategies that worked with me. I especially like, "You're not behind! Just jump in where you are."
do you have to pay to use her? I'm gonna finish the Life Changing Magic book, see if that's a way that would work for me. I already know, I will never fold my clothes like that unless she convinces me harder, it sounds like a PITA. And if it's not a good fit, maybe try Fly Lady, especially if it's free.

·
Registered
628 Posts
do you have to pay to use her?
Hi Bernice, no she is free, like some of the others here her style suits me & while I don't do 100% of what she says I have found quite a lot of her has crept into my life eg
I don't feel dressed unless I have runners on,
27 fling boogie happens once a week as well as her house blessing hour (most weeks :witless: )
Myself and the kids often do a 5min whirlwind in the sitting room of an evening
Like ILC I love the whole concept of "You're not behind! Just jump in where you are."
Timers are now an integral part of my life ;)

You've made me laugh about the socks that need to relax in a drawer, I'm going to have to find a copy of that book to read if only for the giggles :D

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Thanks Rona-I was trying to go on memory-better learn i went too far over that hill sometimes. I do use timers to measure time to clean. I'll say to myself "OK,at least do an hour in the bedroom". Otherwise sometimes I don't want to even start.

ILC-I dont even remember that part. BUT I often take what I can use whether its her or Ramsey or Orman. Unfortunately dieting too.lol sigh.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You've made me laugh about the socks that need to relax in a drawer, I'm going to have to find a copy of that book to read if only for the giggles :D
oh, glad Fly Lady is free, thanks. I would recommend that book to anyone, it's short, there are good ideas in there, a lot of it makes sense. But the weird stuff is really weird and even if you are already organized, I'd still read it. Her childhood was funny. I have to read up on her because she seems unhealthily into this, I want to know if she has a family, friends and does anything outside of organizing, lol

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Re: Konmarie...yeah, I've heard she's a bit weird. I just watch the videos people post on YouTube. I liked the way the clothes were folded in the drawers so you can see everything. So I took that idea from her. Haven't read the book yet. Sounds like it might be a hoot!

Re: Flylady. Followed her for years, but the constant barrage of emails was too much for me. So I canceled. I needed to start with 15 minutes a day. But after I could see progress and wasn't so depressed about things, then I would go for a long time, in 15 minute spurts with 5 minute breaks to regroup and refocus. Hubby used to laugh, but for me it worked. I'd make notes of what I wanted to go where in the 5 minute breaks, and ask him his opinion on stuff I was de-cluttering or planning on getting rid of. By the time my 5 minute 'break' was up, I could attack the piles with renewed vigour. :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Flylady. Followed her for years, but the constant barrage of emails was too much for me. So I canceled. I needed to start with 15 minutes a day. But after I could see progress and wasn't so depressed about things, then I would go for a long time, in 15 minute spurts with 5 minute breaks to regroup and refocus. Hubby used to laugh, but for me it worked. I'd make notes of what I wanted to go where in the 5 minute breaks, and ask him his opinion on stuff I was de-cluttering or planning on getting rid of. By the time my 5 minute 'break' was up, I could attack the piles with renewed vigour. :)
this sounds good. I have to watch those videos because I cannot picture what she is saying about how to fold properly

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
:lol3: So am I, to be truthful frugalwarrior2. But the hold list for her book is almost 70 people long here in my community! I'll wait till the furor dies down and it's easier to get the book. For now YouTube will have to do for me. :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yup, you probably will. I read it right before I fall asleep, so I'm more forgetful and foggy. I'll pick it up the next day, and think, "I must have dreamed that socks need to rest and rolling them into balls cause them distress. I figure it has to be my brain and I'm dreaming about the book. I look back at what I read and crack up again because for once, it is not me!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I peeked on Amazon and they have it used as low as $7. plus the standard $3.99 shipping hit. IDK it didnt seem that kooky from the blurbs. 50% of my issue is me but unfortunately I also deal w/ 2 not 1 but 2 ADHDers. I need to reframe this to they cant help it. But I can always tell when stress is up around here. I dont like her clean by category not room thing. I must think on this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts