Frugal Village Forums banner

Did you fill your empty nest with pets?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Pianolady 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone else had an urge to get a pet or two or three or.....
after their kids left the nest?

I'm really struggling, its the weirdest thing. I've always turned to animals for comfort.

I found myself in a pattern of getting a new pet when life situations changed. I'm not sure if its now related to empty nest or what.

One dd left the nest last year, I've gotten 4 small animals and 1 large animal since she left. The most recent one being within days of her leaving after a visit. Each time feeling sad, empty, then happy and elated with my new "friend".

This year I just have one dd at home, a senior in high school and she is NEVER home. I have a long-distance bf whom I only see 3 times a year. I really think I'm filling my life up with pets to stay busy and feel surrounded by something to care for and fuss over.

I care for them, but they are seriously jeopardizing my financial goals. And yet I don't care. I don't care at all about what my goals were, I just want to pay my bills, buy their food, make sure I have enough credit to cover their vet visits, you know? I just want my day to day world with them. I do spend time with them, my whole day is surrounded around them and work now.

Anyhow just thought I'd throw it out there.

See less See more
#2 ·
Same boat. I went through a period of this. Although I haven't gotten anymore I am held prisoner to a degree financially. They age from 14 down to 6 but I must take good care because they're still ticking along.
I feel I am slightly phobic about people and pets never criticize or reject you. My DH also has traveled a lot during our marriage. I have thought about this way too often.

#3 ·
Dd & ds went off on their own, dog and cat came in. We did have pets as the kids were growing up but didn't replace them when they died. Having a dog does limit us on where we go & how long we can be gone but he's a keeper. :paw:
Love when hubby and I are reading and the animals are curled up asleep near us. Cozy scene.

#4 ·
Yes, but just one small pet so he's not a big financial strain. The kids' childhood pet died our youngest's Senior year of high school, so we waited until she left home before getting another dog. He's plenty of company and I enjoy training him obedience commands and tricks, taking walks, etc. He's a keeper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.