Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one when I was a teenager. My parents purchased me a beautiful hope chest and we filled it with items for me for when I left home.

I worked at a freight company when I was in high school and often things got broken in the boxes. There might only be one glass broke or a couple items broke, so I was able to add to my collection in that way. I would get the items that weren't broken for very low $$ and often my boss would give it to me for nothing.

We had a hope chest for our oldest dd when she left home and I'm planning on starting one for our youngest dd.

I never did anything quite like it for the boys, but I have heard of parents having a hope chest for boys. And IMO, why not. Many of them go out on their own and remain on their own for quite some time before they get married nowadays.

How about you? Did you have one and are you creating one for your kids for when they leave home?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
No formal "chest" for me, but mom helped me collect and make things for my future home. She taught me to knit, crochet and embroider- then helped me make doilies, table runners, afghans and so on.

I collected dishes from some of her fellow teachers that were moving and gave them to me (I've since had one set appraised at over $5000).

For my kids- again, not a formal chest container. But. . . . I collect inexpensive dishes, tools, linens, household needs- including books on repairs, finances, sewing and the frugal life!

And yes- I have 2 sons who are included in getting dishes and such. I fully anticipate that they will live on their own for a bit, before getting married.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I was just talking to dd a couple days ago about starting a hope chest for her. She's started "planning" her dream wedding (she's only 14 but full of dreams for the future) and I said she should start a hope chest, she had no idea what I was talking about, apparently not many people do this anymore. I never had a hope chest but think it's a wonderful idea and we are going to start one, we even have an old antique cedar chest to do it. I told her we could start picking out some things that she really liked and some practical things and then she wouldn't have to buy so much when she got married or just moved out on her own. I really think it is a lovely idea :) and dd thought it was neat.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I had one and I bought a cedar chest for dd a year or so ago, for $3.00 at a yard sale (It a lane) it needs a new lock and hinges but lane is sending them free of charge....

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
No, and I've always wanted one. :( I've never heard of a hope chest being purchased by parents either--around here, it's a gift from a boyfriend before he proposes. Maybe it's a regional difference?

I would love for Dave to get me one now...:)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I didn't have a "chest" but I did have a huge 'hope box' full of uselful items that I was able to pick up here and there. I didn't call it a hopechest for my dk's but I did help them out a lot by buying from garage sales the useful things that they'd need for a start in an apt. on their own. I had to smile inwardly when we moved dd into her own apt. with a roommate. I had tallied up what I had spent on her kitchen items - about $12. Her roommate brought in a laundry basket full of new things and I noticed that one thing had a $14 price tag on it. Much of the same stuff I had bought. We did this for all 3 of the dk's-girl, boy, girl.

·
DebbieBob
1,692 Posts
I was given a lane cedar chest on my 16th birthday, and both my daughters received the same on their 16th. They both cherish them.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes I had a small Hope Chest for me before I got Married..
I had my China in there and some glasses and some Pillow Cases..
I want to start a Hope Chest for DD as well to help Prepare her for her Future years out on her own..

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I didn't but I would love to have one for DD. I have been watching the thrift shops and garage sales for ceder chest but I guess that people like to hang on to them because I never see any of them. :D

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Yes I had one, it was a wicker chest. Once I got to about age 16 my aunts would buy me placemats, glasses, teacups, things like that for Christmas which was awesome! I also have a good china set that I collected piece by piece (still not done!) and I would add to the chest as I got each piece. I can remember just sitting on my bedroom floor opening up the chest and unwrapping everything and looking at it and then put it back. I would love to do this for Delaney as well. I think it is a tradition that should go on. I am going to do one for the boys as well....fill it with dishes, tool box, tools, dish towels and such....I have actually started but the goodies are in a large rubbermaid container in my closet.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I did have one with practical things for the home and my mothers wedding things and I had to watch it float away in a flood:( I will purchase them for my dds when they get older.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
My mom worked on a Hope Chest for me... mostly we collected Betty Crocker points and sent for silverware and china before I got married.

My parents got me a Cedar chest as a high school graduation gift, but I actually stored sweaters in it and kept my "hope chest" items in the closet! :D

I will do the same for DD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts