Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
We don't plan on buying another car for at least 3 years (hopefully more like 4 or 5), but we are considering a diesel. When we purchased our last car, we almost went with a hybrid, but they were too new and the added cost didn't seem worth it (we were considering a brand new Civic Hybrid vs. a 3 year old regular Civic). With the advances being made in making diesel a clean burning fuel, we'll be considering a (2 or 3 year old) VW diesel sedan next time.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I, on the other hand, bought TWO Hybrids.

They weren't worth it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
We had a diesel car years ago, and they have greatly improved them since then. We put up with having to carry an extension cord so we could plug it in to keep the engine block warm in cold weather. It's expensive to have them towed in when a fuel line freezes.... Our car was smelly and noisy, but I think that has been a big improvement in the newer models.

No UMPH when driving through hills/mountains. And the poor folks who got caught behind you when the thing shifted into over-drive on a steep incline, and a big blast of black smoke enveloped them!!! Hubby had a diesel pick-up and I drove a diesel car at the time.

Back then, diesel was always lower in price than gas, but that's not always true now. Diesel cars are generally more expensive than the same gas-powered model.

Our gas-powered 2003 Toyota Matrix (45,000 miles on it) makes 30 mpg in town and 35-38 highway. There aren't many vehicles out there that can beat that, and still squeeze in 5 adults, or haul an 8-foot 4x4" post in it.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had a diesel car years ago, and they have greatly improved them since then. We put up with having to carry an extension cord so we could plug it in to keep the engine block warm in cold weather.

It's expensive to have them towed in when a fuel line freezes.... Our car was smelly and noisy, but I think that has been a big improvement in the newer models.
I've been driving diesel pickups since 1997 and have never plugged in or had my lines freeze.

No UMPH when driving through hills/mountains. And the poor folks who got caught behind you when the thing shifted into over-drive on a steep incline, and a big blast of black smoke enveloped them!!! Hubby had a diesel pick-up and I drove a diesel car at the time.
As you said, very different cars and trucks now a days. No longer the smoke belching vehicles they are thought to be. The turbo charged diesels of today are being turned into hot rods by car and TRUCK enthusiasts. Yes, nearly 2 tons of pickup truck being raced at local tracks.

Back then, diesel was always lower in price than gas, but that's not always true now. Diesel cars are generally more expensive than the same gas-powered model.
True on both counts. But diesels will outlive the gas counterpart in the long run.

Our gas-powered 2003 Toyota Matrix (45,000 miles on it) makes 30 mpg in town and 35-38 highway. There aren't many vehicles out there that can beat that, and still squeeze in 5 adults, or haul an 8-foot 4x4" post in it.
The VW Jetta can regularly get 45mpgs although published reports only say 42. I know guys from the diesel communities are getting 50 on the open highway if driven conservatively.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a diesel pick up 3/4 ton and towing my travel trailer I get 23 +..I plan to keep it and it is a 1990..and has almost 100,000 miles on it and still got a lot of life in it...

·
Registered
157 Posts
If I were in the market right now, I would get a hybrid. There aren't a lot of diesel stations around where I live.

I have always liked VW's clean diesel engines, but their reliability has been horrendous.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts