Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
iPod is just one brand of MP3 player, and obviously the most popular. Aside from brands and different designs, I think the most important consideration is what programs you'll be using the MP3 with to transfer music to it. For instance, iPod doesn't work with music services like Napster. My school provides us with Ruckus (another [legal] music downloading program) for free, but I can only transfer to certain devices that are compatible with the program so I own a Zen MP3 player rather than an iPod.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
an Ipod uses a totally different format for their downloads than an mp3. Mp3 is more compatible to more programs.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
IPod is brand specific, what I mean is you have to use their program to download/upload music and can be a pain in the butt.
That being said I have an IPod and LOVE it!!!!!!! wouldn't trade it for anything else except a new ipod or maybe an iphone

·
Registered
679 Posts
thanks for the ? and good answer acid. i always kinda wondered that myself. i have been thinking of getting one if i saw a good deal.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Yes, thanks for the question. I can't believe how much I don't know about all the electronics out there. I almost bought an MP3 player. But think I will wait til I have a better computer.

Thanks for all the great info.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I need to find out what format dh would be downloading to make a decision I guess. LOL I can see his face if I ask that question. There is no sly way of asking that, given he knows how little I know about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ipod uses mp3 files. We have downloaded music from many sources, and as long as they are in mp3 format, they will load onto the ipod. You can even have your music on records, etc., converted to mp3 files. It is true that you load the ipod thru itunes, but it comes with the ipod, and is no big deal. You can also download itunes from the internet. Basically, any mp3 files that will go on any mp3 player will play on an ipod.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wanted to clarify that any music downloaded in mp3 format can be put on your computer, then itunes searches your computer for it (for all mp3 files). The music can come from itunes, walmart music, bearshare, limewire, and any other illegal file sharing programs. lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am also on the lookout for a deal on an MP3 player this season. I have been researching them a bit. I just want a small simple 1GB flash drive model, and I only want to pay $20 tops. I noticed that the models will say it takes such a number of songs in mp3 format, and a larger number songs in mpa (?) format. Is there a quality difference between the two?

I also want to be able use the MP3 player in the car, so I have been looking at devices that will enable that use.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Ipod uses mp3 files. We have downloaded music from many sources, and as long as they are in mp3 format, they will load onto the ipod. You can even have your music on records, etc., converted to mp3 files. It is true that you load the ipod thru itunes, but it comes with the ipod, and is no big deal. You can also download itunes from the internet. Basically, any mp3 files that will go on any mp3 player will play on an ipod.
Our library (where I work) has downloadable book in the MP3 format that will NOT work with ipods. It has to do with some sort of Microsoft vs. Apple thing. So, if you plan to use it for this, check with your library first!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
another thing to think about, if you buy a non-iPod MP3 player and then try to use iTunes to buy/download music, you will have to jump through hoops of fire (practically) to get the format from iTunes (m4p) to play on a non-iPod player. The old m4a format that iTunes used to use wasn't too bad to configure into an MP3, but with the m4p's it's practically impossible :angry:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i just got one.. it was 29.99 but only because i wanted fm radio on it.. in case im walking and a talk show i like comes on. i also go a universal adaptor, one for car and home(charger).

i cant wait to down load music..i have a free trial service i have been saving for just this..
it was sooo funny in circut city today.. i got to the sale guy(no more than 23) i have a really dumb question and he likes those lol.. i needed to know if the mp3 player came with a recharger.. but i dont think mine does..

got it online.. thats how im going from now on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts