Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what the difference is when the ground beef says: ground from chuck, ground from round, hamburger...I know it has to do with percentages of fat. Is there one that is good for everything I want to do with my ground beef? I usually use it in spagetti, for burgers and hamburger helper. I didn't know what one on sale I should buy. I have bought really cheap beef before that was packaged in a roll and it had nasty gristle like stuff in it when we ate it... so I don't want to buy something like that... Please help.. sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure where it fit best. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I think a chuck as more fat in it. Though I am basing my opinion on the fact that if I look at a chuck roast there is more fat than a round roast. We prefer ground sirloin because that has less fat, what we buy is 93/7. The closer the top number is to 100 means less fat in the groundbeef.

·
Registered
419 Posts
the difference between the grades of ground beef is fat content.
Ground chuck has a higher fat content. The Percentage on the label gives the amount if fat.
I always buy 85% ground beef. That has the 15 percent fat content
the fat cooks out and it is not dry when you make a burger or meatballs.
I was told buy an old fashioned butcher who worked at a wholefoods marketI shop at occasionally that spending money on the ground beef with lower fat contents is a waste of money, since cooking remove most of the fat.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know if its a canadian thing, but I've never seem ground chuck in the gocery store. All I've seen is Ground Beef Regular, Lean, or Extra Lean so it probably is the fat content in different parts of the cow. Thats a guess though...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I always buy lean. I find the regular hamburger reduces way down when you cook it and there is a ton of fat to drain off.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Fat is flavor. I prefer 80% beef. I go to a nutritionist for my diabetes and she says not to spend on the leaner beef. As long as I cook the fat off and paper towel any remaining fat, it will not make a difference in my diet.

Funny story here. My dd's soon to be mil ate at least 4 leftover hamburgers from my daughters camping trip. She just loved them and thought we did something special to them. Imagine her surprise when I told her they were handmade out of 80% beef with salt, pepper and garlic powder sprinkled on top.

Here is also an interesting fact. Unless you are eating ground turkey breast, you could be eating just as much fat as you would if you were eating hamburger.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
You can reduce the fat content by draining the meat and then rinsing it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't know about other parts of the country... but here I've noticed that ground turkey is cheaper, by the pound, than ground beef. I've completely switched over. I'd rather pay $1.36/lb for ground turkey than $4.99lb for beef. It's much healthier and the taste is cleaner. It's not like eating a roast turkey (like my brother-in-law thought). I made hamburger helper one night with the turkey and nobody could tell the difference. My husband was the first to notice that I switched when I made BBQ burgers and he asked what I did differently. When I asked him if it was a good or a bad different he said it was definitely good.

If anyone is trying to get healthier and save a few bucks that might be a dooable option for you.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
In Canada, at least where I'm at, ground beef is ALWAYS cheaper than ground chicken or turkey. Last time I looked I believe it was$5.99/lb if not more for ground poultry.

I buy beef a side at a time, so all cuts are $1.95/lb. Steaks, roast, ground beef, etc. I've tried doing the same bulk buy with chicken or turkey, and there is no savings.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I buy 85% lean amd spice it up my way. Yes the fat is what gives it flavor.
I had ground turkey given to us and I chucked it to the animals.
That stuff tastes terrible. (jmho ) None of us liked it....

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
All I know is, my step-daughters fiance works at a supermarket, told me that 80% and below is actually ground up fat instead of the meat that's why it's got a higher fat percentage, he said your best bet is to buy the 80% and above meat because you get less fat and more meat, resulting in more food for the family.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Canadian and American beef is rated/labeled differently. Here in Canada we have a choice between regular, lean, extra lean and ground sirloin (what we all should be buying for heart health). Regular is really high fat. We don't get to know the actual percentage of fat in the beef. The government likes to change that without us knowing (regular beef has been getting fattier as the years go by).

I buy lean and drain it. Or, alternatively, I simmer it and drain fat and liquid off. I crumble the beef for spaghetti etc. and freeze in 2 c. (~1 lb.) amounts. I save the liquid in gallon ice-cream containers and put them in the fridge overnight so the fat hardens. I toss the fat in the morning and keep the liquid to use as broth in soups, etc. I can freeze the broth too.

Because of the high fat content of ground beef up here, and the high cost associated with the low fat options, we rarely have hamburgers any more. Most all our menus use the 'beef crumbles' I describe above, which I believe were first posted by Canadian Gardener.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't know about other parts of the country... but here I've noticed that ground turkey is cheaper, by the pound, than ground beef. I've completely switched over. I'd rather pay $1.36/lb for ground turkey than $4.99lb for beef. It's much healthier and the taste is cleaner. It's not like eating a roast turkey (like my brother-in-law thought). I made hamburger helper one night with the turkey and nobody could tell the difference. My husband was the first to notice that I switched when I made BBQ burgers and he asked what I did differently. When I asked him if it was a good or a bad different he said it was definitely good.

If anyone is trying to get healthier and save a few bucks that might be a dooable option for you.
:yeah:

We have switched completely to ground turkey, it is cheap and better for you as well. I can't tell the difference in taste at all. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I can only do ground turkey with tacos. I prefer the leaner meat, ground sirloin on sale. All of the grease that pours off of the fattier ground beef just gags me, I do understand rinsing and blotting it would work, though.
I refuse to buy meat in a tube.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help. I will look for 80% or more for the meat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts