Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you shop at different stores for different deals? Or do you try to keep it all at one store? I currently do Safeway, but I make sure that I am only buying things on sale, and for good prices. I do not buy anything if I know its not worth the price, or the price is simply too high. I also do Safeway because of the airmiles, and often the sale items come with airmiles.

I have recently also decided it may be in my best interest to start looking at Giant Tiger deals, as I hear they are pretty good at times. What are some stores you frequent for cheap product?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I live in a large suburban area; so I have access to a number of stores in close proximity to my house. I split my major grocery shopping between Kroger (rewards points for discount on gas) and HEB (lower prices for MANY items). I buy a few items from WalMart that I can't get at the other two stores. I also go to a salvage store every two weeks or so. I pay close attention to prices, sales, coupons, etc.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
we do Kroger and Meijers. I also do Big Lot and Aldis.
If you use the internet to comparison shop it saves $$.
I usually catch the 20% sales at Big Lot via email prog. w/ their BUZZ card. 10 purchases at $20 plus =20% off the 11th. But they have non prog. sales too.

Aldis is limited but cheaper on many things. All off brands but some are good/excellent produce deals.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I check all online flyers and make my list.I also check out regular prices on things I buy alot,just to know who is lower.If I am at WalMart I will get them to price match to save me a trip to another store.If there is something on a really good sale price I will always stock up so I don't have to worry about the up and down prices

Spiderland.You should check out Giant Tiger,they put on good sales and the regular prices a good too.Last week they had cans of coffee on for $3.88 half price so I stocked up.There was a limit of 4 but just went back 3 times.I also buy mik there as the regular price is the lowest in town.

Forgot to say I have nofrills, food basic,Sobeys,Zehrs that all put on some good sales,depending on the week and also Shoppers Drug Mart good sales and bonus points.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
spiderland, my experience is Safeway is one of the most expensive places, except for their loss leaders, and usually only if I have matching coupons.

Flyers are available online on Thursdays for the next weeks deals. Go through them. Walmart does price match, that can make it easier. I don't care to do it often as I always end up with a irritable cashier, but it can save time. That said, I am minutes from Sobey's Superstore, Safeway and Save On, all closer than Walmart, so it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm like mommy4ever, I only go to Safeway rarely. I have the 3 major stores (Safeway, Sobey's & Superstore) within minutes of my house, and I will go to all 3 in one day, if the sales are right. I've been getting into couponing more, and have learned to save the higher value ones to use at Sobey's on their 10% off days (usually the first Tuesday of the month). The Sobey's point program is pretty good, too. Giant Tiger can have some good sales, too, but you have to know your prices to know if something is a good deal. Same with Shopper's Drug Mart. I find they usually have the best price on eggs, and their 2 day sales are pretty good, too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I used to shop at a few different stores, but I find myself spending over an hour to do my weekly grocery shopping. I do not have the time to spend more time running around the city going to different stores.

I buy the basics and try and stock up when I find a good price.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Like the others I comparison shop the ads first and make a list of the deals I want. There are 6 stores (4 different chains) within a couple miles so it's not much of an effort to hit all of them. I usually pick the one with the longest list of deals first, and then one that has items I can't pass up, like eggs, chicken or ice cream, which aren't on sale often.

You have to decide if it is worth your time and effort to shop two or more stores. Is .15 off a can of beans worth an extra 45 minutes driving time? The hassle of going to that location? Do you really need to stock that item this week or can it wait?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I find Safeway ridiculously expensive. I haven't been there for years.

I shop superstore and Costco. Sometimes sobeys. I like no frills for price, but the store here is always crazy and its not worth my time to fight people.

My giant tiger closed! :( I did like it there for deals sometimes.

Look at flyers and match up with the things you need. Price match. Use coupons. Meal plan.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thats another thing is location.When I go to town,everything is fairly close,so not a big deal.Now a few times a year I will go to Costco,which is 45 min away,in the city.There are just some things that are always a better price there.I stock up on cat litter as it is so much cheaper and buying the larger packages lasts me so much longer.I really like their meat,so I break it all down into portion sizes before freezing.You have to know prices at all stores and if I get to Costco and something seems higher in price I use my calculator to figure it out.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I find stores that have that type of rewards program - aka air miles - jack up their prices so when they have a 'sale' its still a lot higher then the discount grocery stores.

The only beneficial rewards program for our household is the President's Choice Financial - if you use their virtual bank to debit or credit card, you accumulate points in which you can use right back in any their stores for free groceries and/or anything else they sell. I remember saving up my points from the credit card and cashing in $500 one Christmas for many groceries over the holiday season as well as gifts purchased at Superstore. To me, thats more valuable then any air mile.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I do shop at several stores that are close:

* I do the drugstore deals at Rite Aid
* Fred Meyer is my main grocery store
* Safeway and Albertsons if they have an awesome deal ~ got free Ken's ranch and OJ at Albies yesterday
* Costco for bulk purchases

·
Registered
378 Posts
Libby,I see what your saying,and I don't get alot of AM points as I usually just get them for gas,and when I deal with participating merchants on things I have to buy anyway.I did however cash my miles in for 2 $20.00 gift cards at Rona.It was nice because I got to buy $40.00 worth of plants this Spring,which I will collect seed from and grow more for next year.That what I call "free" lol

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
The only beneficial rewards program for our household is the President's Choice Financial - if you use their virtual bank to debit or credit card, you accumulate points in which you can use right back in any their stores for free groceries and/or anything else they sell. I remember saving up my points from the credit card and cashing in $500 one Christmas for many groceries over the holiday season as well as gifts purchased at Superstore. To me, thats more valuable then any air mile.
I don't find their program benefits us, other than gas purchases. Sobey's has a better poinrs program for our family. I can get $45 every couple months due to bonus coupons, where with Superstore it takes me a year to get $20. But it does depend on everyone's family purchase habits and what they need.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have several stores w/in a few miles of me. Bashas (local), Safeway, Fry's (a Kroger branch), Albertson's, Winco and Fresh and Easy (UK branch). There is also a Walmart nearby that I LOATH to shop at. I will only go there for very specific items. There is always a long line (even at 5am, as there are never enough cashiers) and it's filthy. There's also a Costco nearby as well that I hit up once every couple of months. I'm very fanatical about pricing and will comparison shop everything. It is worth my time but depending on work hours (if I'm working more than 70 hours in the week) will determine how much effort I put into it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This has been a little bit of an eye opener. Thank you to everyone who posted!

My girlfriend does superstore all the time, and claims it is much cheaper than most stores. I will be looking for deals I cannot pass up, and may still go to safeway for their hard to pass up weekend sale items - otherwise I think its time for me to start going to different stores to see what options I have for prices. I want to be able to goto one or two stores to buy my food, as I will not have hours available during the school year to run around the city.

Close to me will be a safeway, wal mart, and superstore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts