Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!!! My Dh is at the end of his rope with me and I can't stop myself.....We have been spending so much money on dining out, that it has gotten ridiculous...I use the excuse that I don't like to cook for just the two of us, but that is what it is an excuse.for being lazy.....

We can't afford to do this and I am also spending lots at the grocery store, most of which ends up in the trash cause it goes bad....I'm so disgusted with myself....I am wrecking our finances as well as my health( I need to be eating a good diet for my diabetes)......any Ideas on how to get a handle on this?:confused:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Have you tried menu planning? Do it now, while it's a priority!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I used to spend a lot of money eating meals out, we seldom go now, I worked all of the time and I was just plain tired.. I found that if I planned ahead and do a little OAMC.... You are more likely to cook it, if it's easy or already started.....

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Can you recreated some of those meals you enjoy when you dine out at home and make them more healthy for you? I know I'm always trying to recreated recipes that I have tried at restaurants. I've finally gotten to the point that there are some places I won't eat because I know I can make the same meal at home for a small percentage of the cost of it in the restaurant.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
make your own tv dinners from left overs..just use containers and then freez.this way when u dont want to cook u can still eat healthy

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm...Good ideas ladies:cool: ....Thanks, I'm gonna try harder with the meal planning, I tried once or twice and it seemed to get knocked off course by unexpected events and guests...Just gotta make eating at home more interesting;)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
look on the internet and try searching copycat recipes. Who knows you may have most of the itmes already in your shelves!

·
27,948 Posts
Meal planning will definately take the pressure off.
I've got to make some changes in the way I eat too. How about we bounce some ideas off each other? I am so much better off if I have things planned out, have grabbed something out of the freezer & it's defrosting with a plan in mind. Then I am not using my thoughts on whats for dinner but something else.:heartsm:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Crockpots are wonderful! Just throw the ingredients in it and forget it for a couple hours, you don't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, kitchen doesn't get all hot, easy on electricity, and you can cook a wide range of dishes. Just add a nice salad or veggie or bread and presto-dinner! I saw several threads in the cooking section here at the village for lots of recipe ideas, I'm sure you could find lots of dishes that would be appropriate for diabetes.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did it, I fought the urge and cooked last night....and I am making Italian sausage in the crockpot for dinner tonight......:clap:.......I can do this

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
WTG! Think of all the money you saved last night by eating in and not out and tonight too.:D

I do Once a Month Cooking and if you are just cooking for 2 it will last a lot longer than a month. I spend one day in the kitchen and make a months worth of freezer meals and it is so wonderful to just pull one out of the freezer and not have to do anything else but make a quick side dish or salad and I am done. It really saves lots of money in the long run.

Good luck!:D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I am having the same problem lately with clothes shopping so I know how you feel.

The idea's of copy cat recipes is what we do with a few things, like the cheesy garlic biscuits from Red Lobster, and I make my own version of my favorite mexian meal and save about 20$ each time I do that. I make 'little pizza's' instead of doing takeout pizza every once in a while.

Also maybe some nights you could buy an already cooked rotissirie chicken from the supermarket for 2.50$ (sale prices I see around here at least) and then just fix your own salad and other quick side dishes... Or just something else relatively cheap but already pre made...

good luck with your new challenge :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
DH and I had a similar problem after the baby was born-- we ate out frequently, but then I cut my work hours way down, and we needed to save more $$.

I agree with the idea of freezing some meals ahead-- it's actually faster to defrost something from the freezer than to get cleaned up and go out to eat. DH and I used that (laziness on our part, LOL!) to get ourselves to eat out less.

It's also easier to figure out your sugar and carbs if you cook at home-- that helped me a lot when I had gestational diabetes. Restaurant portions often shot my sugar level way up, but if I made the same thing at home, I knew exactly how much I could eat.

Would it help you to watch the money you save add up for something else? Every time you stay home when you wanted to go out, put the amount you would have spent down on paper, maybe minus what you spent at home. At the end of a month, you'll be amazed how much you saved! And if it's not needed for bills, use that money to buy something you've been wanting.

One last thought.... if nothing else, grab a few frozen entrees at the grocery store. There's no "cooking" involved, just pop it in the oven, and it's still cheaper than going out. There are some pretty healthy ones, too. Before I started freezer cooking I tried to keep one or two frozen entrees on hand for just that reason.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Dh and I used to be really bad before we had kids. But what got us to stop was I just got sick of paying top dollar for crappy meals I can make better at home. And another gripe is that we put $50.00 down on a meal, and dh still leaves hungry. I hate going into a seafood restaurant, pay $15.00 for a plate of fries with a few pieces of fish scattered on top. I honestly believe sometimes I should open my own restaurant.

Crock pots are the greatest invention for "lazy" cooks, or those that doesn't have the time to slave over the stove all day.

Good for you on resisting the tempation last night! Just take it one night at a time- you can do it!!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Menu planning and the crockpot really have helped me stay on track most of the time. There are times, though, when it's hard to not want to go out and eat. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts