Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were you as disappointed as I was with the Black Friday sales ads? There is really nothing at all that I plan to wake up at 4 am to go and get. I did see the jeans at Walmart for $8, but I think I can still get there around 9 am and get those. I also plan on picking up some jeans for DS#3 at JCPenneys for $11.99, but like I mentioned before, I do not think I will have to fight the crowd for those either.

I did some searching online at a black friday site and you can actually buy a lot of the items online already. Here is the link if you are interested in searching for something you saw, but didn't want to get up at 4 am. http://www.blackfriday.info/online/ Click on the link that reads *** Other Black Friday Items Available To Purchase Online Right Now! Click here for details! ***
and scroll down through all the available items and stores.

I did find DS#1 and DS#2 new MP3 players since both had their ipods stolen. I also bought DS#1 a GPS because he will be traveling in January. I did not have to fight for it and I was able to do it in the comfort of my home and the best part is that now I can sleep late. BUT, I am still disappointed at the sales prices of other items. I really thought that the retailers would really lower their prices to attract consumers.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I kept hearing that tv's would be dirt cheap...... I am not finding that to be the case. i did see a few things, but nothing to wake up at 3am for.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I was really disappointed as well. I won't be dragging my butt up to stand in the dark this year either. When I get up I'll go out and hit a store or two because I like the thrum of the crowd. I'll probably hit JCPenny's myself and maybe Best Buy or Target just to see thier small stuff.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't see much either. This is the first year I've really paid attention to Black Friday though, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I hate crowds with a passion - think claustrophobia, but with crowds. It just freaks me out. But if I can make my kids' Christmas that much better, then I can do it. It just doesn't seem like the deals are that good though. I thought maybe it was just me and I've gotten to be such a tightwad frugal person that even these fantastic deals I always hear about are just going over my head.

My kids are still young enough that they don't have a list of must have toys. Like my son wants a race car track but not a specific one. It doesn't matter if I get one from Toys R Us or Big Lots or Goodwill. Same with my daughter. She wants a music/jewelry box, but nothing more specific than that.

I do have a couple friends who have very specific requests from their kids AND some extra breathing room in their budgets are finding some deals that they are going out for, but they aren't going on a shopping spree for all sorts of stuff this year. They have a list of specific things and that's it.

I'm just counting myself lucky that my kids are more vague in their requests. It also helps that I don't take them shopping with me, so they don't see the specific toys that are out there. They're also stuck with PBS as far as any cartoons most days because we have bare-bones basic cable now.

As far as any expensive electronic things like game systems, TVs or GPS units, those things are so beyond anything we are even looking at this year it's not even funny. They may as well be telling me that they have an awesome 60% off sale on transatlantic cruises. It's not even on our radar.

It's going to be interesting to see how Black Friday turns out for the retailers this year.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I for one was very excited to see about the Black Friday ad's and last night I was working the overnight shift and we get a free paper everyday for the front desk staff. When the delivery guy left I tore open the plastic holding the paper together to dig through the ads while everyone was sleeping. I was so competely let down, I convinced myself that after dinner on Thanksgiving I would borrow my aunt's paper and re-read the ads-- I mean there HAD to be some good deals in there right? NOPE! I am very disappointed. *sigh* But the good news is.. DD's xmas is done already so it wasn't like I *had* to go shopping for xmas presents or anything.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I'm not even going this year. We usually only go to the PX anyway because they give out $20 gift cards per person to the first 100. But we haven't even gone there the last couple of years. Last year they opened at midnight and this year they opened at 4am. Nothankyouverymuch. That's just too damn early.

The $8 jeans at Walmart was all my mom wanted to get too. And you know what? She's at work right now and was able to go online and get them without standing in line or braving the crowds. So be sure to check online before going out into the wild lol. Walmart.com even has free shipping to your local WM store.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I didn't even look at the adds.. But my favorite clothing store is doing Buy1 get1 on anything so I got on line to check it out. My lucky day they are offering free shipping. So I never even left the house..

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Dh had to be at work at 5:00 (he works for a large retailer) So I went to get a few things. (store is 5 minutes from home) I bought a 60.00 kids coat (for a adopt-a- family child) for 13.50. I bought a TON of socks...1/2 price - goes to the local rescue mission. A weather station 1/2 price for SIL and a Christmas tablecloth for me. That's about it. I was there for about 2 hours (dd2 met me there) and it wasn't bad. As long as you stayed away from the electronics department!!! Mostly we just wandered around....

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I went to Kmart... doors opened at 6am... at 6:15, there was an announcement that they were out of tv's :lol:

It was pretty good... unless you ventured near the toys & electronics... then it was hold your head up or someone would try stepping on it to get to what they wanted... :nerv2:

People were not happy that Kmart didn't get a shipment truck... I guess a lot of 'sale stuff' was on there...

I bought a few things -- but honestly, if I was able to get the pj's in our sizes online, I would have stayed home.

I popped over to Walgreens and bought a wii-like game... that WAS something I was willing to get up early for, luckily, the store didn't open until 7 and it was completely empty.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I'm glad they don't have Black Friday here in Canada. I still wouldn't drag my butt out of bed at 3am to go to the stores. Some of the stories I hear on the news about people being trampled and/or getting into fights where someone gets stabbed or shot is not my idea of being in the "holiday spirit".

Canada runs their holiday sales from the day after Halloween until well beyond New Years Day. Boxing Day sales are being applied to Christmas sales this year, which is a huge bonus. I <3 Boxing Day sales but the stores are just as crazy then as they are in the US on Black Friday.

I think I'd rather do my shopping online and take advantage of free shipping. :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i did go out and was very disapointed... wasgoing to get 2 tvs.. saved most of my tax refund to pay for them and nothing. they were only 200 and 100 dollars off.. thats a regular sale.. but i got a new bed that i really need. its a queen size and i can pay it off in 1 year...no interest.. the best thing is that i have the money saved incase something happens to my job..

i did go to target and got sweats and sleeping pants(bottom half of pj), 3 pr of sweat pants that i really need.i also went to bed bath and beyond.. got more candles off clearance...

oh and i got a printer on line for 20.00

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I never shop black friday.

My Mom and DD went to the thrift store just in time to miss the half -off sale until noon. While they were there and the crowd was gone, the employees brought out a boat load of new stuff and my DD was in hog heaven! She kept phoning me asking me about stuff new in the box that they were bringing out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wisconsin has a law that requires retailers to have a set markup on all products.....Black Friday is not worth getting out of bed for here.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I did a little Black Friday, but got out late which was just as well because I have most of my shopping done. Enjoyed it as a girly thing but didn't spend too much money. There weren't many great deals by the time I did get out but enough to make me happy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts