Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local church giveaway. I was only able to pick up a sweater, shirt, top and two scarfs. I stopped by the local Goodwill and they were having a $1.00 sale. I picked up 5 jackets and 3 tops. I expected to find more, but was disappointed that they were not refilling the racks like they use. Still it was a good day.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
My Goodwill hardly ever has anything in it...I really don't think people are donating as much anymore.
I have always done better at yard sales last year yard sales were all children's clothes...I don't happen to need children's clothing.. so I think adults may be hanging on to their clothes a little longer than 1 or 2 seasons....

sorry

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
At this time of year, I think people are hanging on to their stuff since it's almost garage sale time. Once they've had their sales, then they donate what's left over.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Thats 13 pieces of clothing. Thats a lot to me. You really have to keep going. Our S.A. is 5/$5. on the color tag designated for that day. Ours does Fri and Sat. Then the other day it was ALL clothing 50%off.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I usually buy all my books at the thrift store...today I visited one that I usually don't go to because of the high prices but I picked up two books for .50 each....Unheard of at this store...the prices are so high...and no rhyme or reason and crazy prices likes $1.91; 7.32...just crazy....this is the same store where I saw a women spend $700!!!!! today the lady in front of me spent $108.00.....I don't think I've ever spent that much at a thrift store.....

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I've probably spent over $100 in a thrift store, back when we adopted five kids all at once and needed a ton of furniture. Not these days though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
People are catching on to Goodwill. I know a manager that works for one local store. She gets payed alot. Each store manager get between $48 and $56k a year. District gets between $60k and $75k a year. This is off of donations we give to help the disabled and other to support other needed areas like vets .The local ones around here have cut back on programs because donations are down, Many people are now donating to Salvation Army or a church thrift shop. Over the last few years goodwill have tripled there prices. Books are now $2.49 no matter age or condition. I remember when jeans were $1.99 a pair. They are now $5.99 a pair no matter condition.It's gotten crazy.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Well here it not just donations are down but shoppers are up. Our S.A. was very busy w/ 5/$5. but cart were pretty full w/ lots of things. The young guys putting out were saying that it was gone as soon as it went out. I know I grabbed a swing arm lamp for $10. for sewing. He set it down,I picked it up and he filled the space w/ something else. There were long lines in all 3 we hit today.
I spent almost $100. replacing kitchen ware and DH got a few electronics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I usually go to our local all volunteer run shops including our fantastic PAWS shop who I buy from and have donated to. I find the best stuff and prices at those shops.

And I especially support our PAWS shop for the cause.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
It seems to be the 'in' thing - you know...spruce up your home decor and DIY fashions via the daily tv talk shows all suggesting that we go to the thrift shops for base items to be tweaked. So with everyone wanting to be 'chic' they pop into the thrift stores.

What I'm waiting for is next month when the college/uni kids leave the residences and instead of taking things with them, they donate it all. For me, this is a great time to buy current but used books *thumbs up*

·
Registered
7 Posts
The news always talks about how the economy is improving ... but it makes me wander if it really is?

The local salvation army here doesn't have as much high stock as it used to too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts