Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thrift bakeries, stale stores, etc. Everyone calls them something different but I swear I am never buying bread at the regular grocery store prices again! I found the whole grain, HFCS free bread we eat regularly for 1.39 a loaf today. Within it's sell by date. The cheapest I've ever found it at the reg store is 2.99, up to 3.99! The cinnamon raisin bagels my son loves were 1.29 instead of 2.99-3.99, and I also picked up some sandwich wraps and pita pockets for cheap. Half gallons of a local brand of OJ were only 99 cents each. I think the store is run by the bread company itself, so that's where the discounts comes from. Any other bread store devotees?

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Used to go all the time but our raised the price and can't get as much. I do better certain days at Kroger.
I miss the .39 pita pkg. we used to make pizzas and cheap mini muffins for $1.00. I used to go every 2wks- a month and freeze a bunch. Ours now has a card to purchase for $5. to get deeper discounts. That just irritated me.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
All of ours closed up about 4 years ago. I really miss them and the prices.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ours now has a card to purchase for $5. to get deeper discounts. That just irritated me.
That would irritate me too, it's almost like buying a membership. My store gave me a punch card that's good for 5 dollars off when filled. It takes 10 purchases of $5 each to fill, so I try to keep my total near a multiple of 5 to maximize the discount lol :)

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
They used to have all that. Huge hawaiia rolls like the kind from chinese restaurants. .39 table. You could get free stuff off their if you spent a certain amt.
First, Farmer Jacks went out, then they hired a nasty girl,then they couldn't get product. You would drive all the way out and the tables were empty. It was only that way before on senior day wed.
I will check them again this year .
they are near Salv.A. but I am doubtful.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
We have one. I used to go a long time ago. Quit for some reason. Went about 3 months ago and man had the prices went up. I wasn't impressed. There were a few things cheaper but since it was in the next town over the gas wasn't worth it. I might go one more time just to check it out again but it's just not what it used to be.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
There are a few here. The one that is close by had brown and serve rolls for 10 cents a pack after Thanksgiving and I put them in the freezer for Christmas. Awesome!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our bread store. I used to shop at Wonder then their prices raised up. We went to cut down a Christmas tree one year and passed by Aunt Millies outlet. On Wednesday if you are 50 you get most bread, english muffins, bagels, hot dog and hamburger buns for $.59 and specialty bread for $.79. We also have an entemanns and you get 12 for $12. I don't like going there because there is too much fat food and when you have to buy 12 its too tempting although I love their bagel bread

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
We have a couple different ones, run by different bread companies. Love shopping at them!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Oh yeah, I love our discount bakeries. I don't even go down the bread aisle in the groc. store.

We have Franz (which just bought out Snyders) and Orowheat........love them both and their bread. About half price of what the groc. store price is......and for the multi-seed breads that is a great discount.

I have to be really careful that I don't get my freezer full of bread though!! No room for anything else!

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have one here too and I used to love it. I too hadn't been in awhile and went back and they raised the prices. Almost as much as it would cost at the grocery store. Crazy I tell you!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
We have a few in surrounding cities. I really like them. I only buy from them if I'm already in those cities for something else. It's not worth a special trip.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
We have several, but the best is Sara Lee. I don't go as often as I used to because I bake most of my bread products. Their prices are EXCELLENT. Starting in April I can go on Wednesdays and get the senior citizens discount - LOL!

My salvage store also has bread and I never checked the prices or varieties because I make my own. I checked not long ago just out of curiosity. All bread is 50 cents a loaf - from plain white sandwich bread to Orowheat 12 grain!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I used to purchase bread at a discount store years ago, before I started making all our own breads. The problem with these stores are all the other things you tend to purchase that could be made for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
904 Posts
ok, anyone know of any near Raleigh, NC?

I just moved here and haven't found one yet. I loved the ones back home, but didn't let myself go often as I would get loads of junk food and then make myself beleive I had to eat it before it went bad.

When I go to Myrtle Beach love the Pepperidge Farms store, but I think that shut down.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love going to the Wonder bread store near me. My husband really likes Home Pride wheat bread and sometimes it is 99 cents a loaf so I buy 3 or 4 loaves at a time. It depends on what day of the week you go there how good their sales are.Snack things are kinda high,though.

·
2,688 Posts
We had a bread store quite a few years ago in the city closest to me, about 6 miles one way. I used to go there often. It's no longer there and I miss it.
Cheapest bread I can find now is Aldi's.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Making bread would certainly be cheaper... I'm not that hardcore yet lol :) I do enjoy baking bread occasionally, but not for everyday use.

·
Registered
860 Posts
We go to a salvage grocery that carried Pepperidge Farm bread. It's .79 per loaf, even double french loaves, and sometimes it's .69 on Tuesdays. We buy several loaves and freeze it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts