Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice? Can't afford a new one, can't afford a repairman. I've run vinegar through it. It isn't getting the dishes very clean. I'm using powdered cascade soap, could that be the problem? It's not really even dissolving the soap very good, there is still some left in there after the cycle is done.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have you checked in the bottom to be sure nothing is blocking the drain, and also check the arm thingys that spin where the water shoots out. I have had to clean mine every couple of months because no matter how many times I tell everyone to rinse their stuff off, pieces of food end up clogging the holes and consequently nothing comes clean. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
JetDry also makes a little bottle of cleaner that is supposed to help with calcium buildup inside the mechanisms. It has been working for us.

Reactions: vlmurray and baxjul

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran a cycle with vinegar through it, and it didn't seem to help. I'll look for the jet dry cleaner, I've seen that before. ugh.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would not run bleach through it, supposed to not be good for it.

I could not run powder thought mine, I had to use the liquid stuff.

I just found this, might be worth trying

What You’ll Need:

* 1/2 cup of white vinegar
* 2 tablespoons of baking soda

Directions:Simply pour the white vinegar and baking soda into your empty dishwasher. Next, start the dishwasher and allow it to run through a complete cycle. Repeat this process once a month to remove hard water buildup, stains, grime, and odor.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Being that there is powder left after it cycles, it really sounds to me like it is a water flow problem. The powder soap not getting the dishes clean is one problem and could be the soap itself, but the fact that it is not dissolving or at least rinsing away makes me think water flow issue.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
defintely try the vinegar bkng soda. solves a multitude of problems. i am a fan of liquid detergent.

also, try a load of CLR (no dishes of course) that helps to clean out "gunk"

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is your hot water tank set with hot water temp high enough or did this just start happening?
It just started happening.

defintely try the vinegar bkng soda. solves a multitude of problems. i am a fan of liquid detergent.

also, try a load of CLR (no dishes of course) that helps to clean out "gunk"
I have some CLR! I'll try that tomorrow!!!

I'll also try the baking soda, vinegar!!

Thanks ladies!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Do you clean your filter monthly?? (I just learned that dw have a filter that you are supposed to clean monthly and have found most people don't know its in there). Mine is close to the drain. It was amazing the difference.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm at a loss. I have hard water so I use powder detergent but pour 1/4 cup of white vinegar in the bottom before I run my dishwasher. I don't like the gel detergents. Check your hot water heater temp just to be sure.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have you checked in the bottom to be sure nothing is blocking the drain, and also check the arm thingys that spin where the water shoots out. I have had to clean mine every couple of months because no matter how many times I tell everyone to rinse their stuff off, pieces of food end up clogging the holes and consequently nothing comes clean. Good Luck!
Same here. GE. Tweezers to pull the particles out of the jets, and I have to clean the filter too. Both have to be done several times per year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts