Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our house is 1980 construction and still contains the original countertops. flooring, fixtures, etc. We redid the master bath in Oct 2010. The original plan was to tackle the hall bath last fall but due to some issues with the MIL's health we were unable too.

So, the wife made a deal with me, agree to do it as soon as hunting season is over and she wouldnt mention it again until then. well, hunting season ended last Thursday - I was out of town anyway - so Saturday 2/2/13 started Demo.

So far, tub / shower is demolished, faucets are out, drywall is gone, toilet is gone. Sunday was spent gathering supplies.

I had originally been optomistic about bringing this entire project in at $1000, sadly it looks like I'm going to miss that by a few hundred after giving in on form vs necessity for a few items. (the wife says the upgrades are well worth it so I guess I wont argue). Looks like revised budget will be around $1300 total.

Right now, I have spent about $950 and have all supplies except new countertop, paint and grout for the tile plus new quarter round.

Game plan is to have the entire project done by the end of the month (last one took right at a month with one weekend out of town)

I'll try to get pictures up soon of the "Before"

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All of the items recently purchased were from Lowes, bought using a Lowes CC - to get 5% off. We also went to the Lowes in the next town over because of lower sales tax (actually closer drivewise, slightly smaller store)

The major hitters to the original budget were Tub upgrade - went with deep gerden style $250 vs contractor grade $150. And upgraded toilet handle and tub trim to match Oil Rubbed Bronze coloring of faucets. - about another $50 total. Now that I have part #'s though, I'll see if I can find the same online for cheaper and return the store boughts if possible.

What we already had aquired:

Tile - bought closeout stock listed at 19 cents / sqft - asked for additional discount for buying all remaining stock and got another 10% off. Have enough to do both bathrooms, and might have enough left to do the sunroom at my mothers house.

Cabinet hardware - drawer pulls and handles bought on clearance at Walmart of all places - again Oil rubbed Bronze. Matching hinges were found on EBAY for 1/10 th of cost of the same items at local stores - again oil rubbed bronze.

Specialty tools ( tile saw, trowels, etc) were bought during last reno.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Can you come do my bathroom when you're done? I would love to have something as new as 1980 to look at. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ya I have a bathroom like that too. Our budget was 1500, so good to know we're are pretty close to yours.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you come do my bathroom when you're done? I would love to have something as new as 1980 to look at. :)
Well the Chocolate swirl countertop from the master bath was repurposed as a outdoor cleanup / fish cleaning sink down near the lake. So the 70's vibe is still strong with that one.

This one is Orange Cream swirl - with double built in sinks, not going to be much use for it when I'm done. Will probably get busted up for rubble / fill for some low spots in the driveway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK - More glue under this linoleum than I thought...... break time to post some pics.

Starting Point - The towel racks, light fixture and cabinet hardware is being reused.
DSCF4205 (Small).JPG

Cutting out the old tub surround
DSCF4229 (Small).JPG

DSCF4243 (Small).JPG

DSCF4245 (Small).JPG

My helper - He wasnt so sure he could actually hit it with the hammer without getting in trouble but he got over that
DSCF4221 (Small).JPG

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
OMG!! I would NOT be able to handle a renno like that. Nope. it would freak me out.

Nice job clearing it out! kinda scary that it's all gone now. But with tile and a new tub- it's going to look fabulous! I can't WAIT to see what it looks like.

and thats a great price for a renovation.

I paid like $~8000 for mine. Wasn't too happy with the price. I expected marble walls for that rate. I think I got ripped off. sheesh!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Congrats on the renovation! We upgraded some of our accessories to Oil Rubbed bronze by spray painting them! Krylon sells it for $8 a bottle and we were able to spray paint everything to match....you can also spray paint faucets...just google it for tips :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Citrine - Very true. We have used the spray paint in the past on Light fixtures and some other odds and ends. As I was taking things apart last night, I noticed that the door hinges and knob will need some sprucing up as well. The ORB spraypaint will be just the thing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One other "design element" I need to point out....

Notice the half wall and small columns in the first pic? Those are gone. The half wall is staying (toilet is on the other side) But instead of the columns, we are taking an old window and suspending it by chain in that space. Still trying to decide what to do to the window itself, but I'm leaning toward frosted glass panes - we are looking into an acid etch treatment to give it the frosted look.

And now I think I'll probaly use the ORB spray paint on the chains and hooks as well so they match everything else.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Notice that the tub drain is not aligned with the main pipe. The new tub is 3" wider than the old so the drain had to be moved 1 1/2" over. The bottom tub drain was easy, just extended and rotate to the correct spot. The overflow drain is trickier and caused a redesign of the drain plug. I used a piece of flex tubing to get it to align - wich means i cant use a standard plunger style drain plug (the one with the little lever). Easy fix was to swap to a foot press style - wich is more reliable anyway. I have no worries using the flex pipe since this is only an overflow that "shouldnt" be used. Plus I have full access to the back side of it and its a screw in fitting so its easy to replace if needed - although I dont expect ot ever have to.

20130209_130047 (Small).jpg

And here is the new tub all in place.

20130210_090341 (Small).jpg

You can also see the water cut off valves I added. I add them anytime I take a pipe apart. Plus I can work without having to cut water to the rest of the house.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Looks amazing! As for the window....you can modge podge photos, vinyl lettering, or get an oversize print at Staples and add that, or fake stained glass....again, Pinterest has LOTS of great ideas :)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Looks like you know what you are doing :). We completely finished all of the main living remodeling in our house a few years ago. Now, we are starting over...amazing how that happens LOL! We are redoing the downstairs bath, which will require some redoing of our bedroom and the area that is currently between our bedroom door and the existing bathroom door.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This stuff has a big learning curve to it, but once you figure it out most of it is a cake walk. Just takes time and patience to do it right. When doing the first bath, I spent alot of hours on plumbing and tile forums, reading how to books and watching youtube.

So far this one has gone quicker and smoother to this point in the rebuild - i can see a few challenges coming up though when I have to work around corner at the shower / counter top area.

i'm tied up after work most of this week, so will probably be next friday before I get back to it.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Great job so far Chris. I can't wait to see the finished project. I have a half bathroom upstairs similiar to you.
Except I don't have a bathtub but we do have the half wall with the columns! Wish we had a shower upstairs or a skylight too that would be nice. It's just a small bath room in our bedroom above the other bathroom. Dh is going to repaint it this spring it's a raspberry color w/ white crown molding.

·
Registered
581 Posts
What are you putting on the shower walls? The tile you got the great deal on?

I want to take out my shower/tub combo and put in a "real" bathtub, too. But I can't decide on the walls.
Tile is great, but I hate the idea of cleaning grout. But if I used really big tiles, there wouldn't be quite as many lines to clean.
I might have to check into the price for cultured marble.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, The wall will be tiled.

They are 12x12 tiles with 1/8" grout. I am using grey grout.

I have the same setup in the other bath we did a while back, it is not a chore to keep clean. Key is to seal the grout well. I use a mild bleach / water solution to spray down the walls every month or so and just wipe down. No issues with mold or discoloration in the grout or tiles.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
WTG! Looking forward to the end pics!

I have just started giving thought to mine and taking measurements.....hope to gut the whole room and replace everything........WHITE APPLIANCES or I will just leave a hole in the floor!!! Hope I can find a tub...........

1 - 20 of 47 Posts