Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Enteresting Libby... Wonder if I could clone my International ' Southern Butter Pecan '. I'm addicted to that. Hmmm

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I make my own creamer. I do it really simple with half sweetened condensed milk and half regular milk. I add vanilla or cinnamon. Mmm

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Wow.. thanks for this. looks very yummy and much better for you.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If I was going to try to make hazelnut creamer would I still add the maple syrup?

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you could add 1-3 tsp of hazelnut extract (to taste) instead of vanilla to turn it into hazelnut vs vanilla which was the original recipe posted.

Perhaps you could reduce the maple syrup or use a different sweetener of your choice instead?

There are other flavours one could make as well. Omit the vanilla & reduce the maple syrup:

* toasted almond - use 2 tsp almond extract
* cocoa - add 1 tbsp cocoa powder
* peppermint mocha - add 1 tbsp cocoa powder + 1/4-1/2tsp peppermint extract

The possibilities are endless! I like this recipe b/c its not as processed as the commercial stuff and doesn't call for the use of condensed sweetened milk - which I'm not fond of.

I bought my lil 500ml carton of 5% cream vs using milk + heavy cream. Will prob try my hand at this recipe this week! :)

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - Finally Tried It!

I figured I had enough time to zip into the kitchen to try my hand at this.

What I did:
* heated up 1 sm carton (500ml) of 10% half & half cream. You're just warming it slowly. DO NOT BRING TO A BOIL
* added in: 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract, 4 tbsp pure maple syrup, 2 tsp instant espresso powder
* gently whisk or stir constantly for a couple of minutes until heated through
* pour into pyrex measuring cup to let cool on counter (will cover with plastic wrap and finish chilling in fridge shortly)

I cheated and poured a lil into my coffee b/c I couldn't wait. The flavorued cream tasted great - to my taste buds - while warm so I can't wait to try it when its cold. (especially in iced coffee!)

My coffee tastes extra 'coffeeish' if that's possible. Its like putting a shot of espresso syrup into a cup of coffee. Only me right? :laugh: The maple is very subtle, I don't really taste it but the cream does have a slight sweetness to it. The vanilla isn't very noticeable, very subtle. I think it add's a fullness to the entire concoction :)

This recipe made 2c so I think this will last me 1-2 weeks depending on how many coffee's I consume. I will use this in both hot & cold coffee so it may not even last that long ;) Normally I use 5% cream in my coffee especially b/c I pour freehand but decided to use 10% to see if that helps emulate the store bought creamer texture. (vs suggested whole milk + 35% cream)

Will report back with findings on how it tastes once cooled and how long it lasts for me.

If you've tried your hand at this, please share your findings :)

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've tried this twice so far with both 5% + 10% cream. One batch was maple/espresso flavoured and the other was maple/almond. I need to make more and am contemplating maple/coconut or maple/rum. :scratch:

I'll admit, the texture isn't nearly close to the store bought creamers but I'm not willing to go up to 18% or use 35% whipping cream so I'm ok with a thinner texture/body.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts