Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Not exactly a recipe, but dishwasher detergent often does the job. It is at least less expensive than drain cleaner.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I run a coffee pot of vinigar in my coffee pot every month or so to clean it...while it is going through the coffee pot I place a cup of bakeing soda into my kitchen sink...when the vinigar is run through my coffee pot I pour it over the bakeing soda..it will bubble up good..fill the coffee pot with clear water and run it to rinse the coffee pot and each pot of hot water runs down the drain...when we did some redoing the drains when we moved a sink this spring my drains were all clean that we cut into...You want to make sure that your run a good sink of hot water down behind the soda vinigar it all...I have been using this for 10 years now..

·
Registered
74 Posts
My DH kept pouring this chemical laden dangerous drain opener down the drain until we disovered the Zip It! Baking soda and vinegar does not clean the wads and wads of hair out of our bathroom tub drain.

But Zip it does. You can re-use it over and over again, and it cleans it out in a minute or so. So easy and only around 2 dollars at Walmart!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
we spent 10$ on a mini snake to pull any hair out and we use the baking soda and vinegar method we use white vinegar and it bubbles all up and drains it well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
How much baking soda/vinegar?? We don't do coffee pots..

·
Registered
81 Posts
For sink/tub we use a plastic tool we found at Wal Mart. We found it near the toilet supplies. It is very long about 2-3 ft long, thin & white. On the edges there are little teeth sticking out. You push it into the sink drain. When you pull it out, the teeth grab hair and remove it. yuck...but it works like a charm. Best of all, it's reusable, doesn't hurt your pipes and it was about $3.00.

·
Registered
831 Posts
In my kitchen I use soda crystals flushed down with hot water or the well loved vinegar and soda bicarb.

In the bathroom shower drain I use HAIR REMOVER CREAM! yes, I got a cheap tube of regular hair remover ( from our £1 shop, pretty much like your dollar stores) poked half a tube down the plug hole and left it for about 20 mins, then flushed it down with boliing water.

Works great, because of course it melts the hair stuck in the plug hole:wink:

I only need to do it every few months, which good:)

Of course you might not want to do this if you have a septic tank, best stick to natural soloutions in these circumstances.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I live in an old house - built in 1917 - with a lot of issues. I needed to get the plumber in to unclog drains. He gave me the very best advice that I have followed for at least ten years, probably longer, and have not had the plumber back for drains since then.

Once a month I pour a bottle of bleach down the tub drain (my main problem, every six weeks down the bathroom sink). I do this in the evening. In the morning, I heat up my tea kettle and pour a gallon of boiling water down the drain. I need to heat my kettle twice to do this. Aim for the drain - you do NOT want to crack the porcelain.

The plumber explained that the bleach will dissolve the organic matter = the hair, the soap scum, the sloughed off skin cells, etc. - that collect in the pipes, on the sides.

This will not work on something totally stopped up, but it will work on slow drains.

I have not had to have the plumber in for clogged drains since at least ten years. Absolutely worth it to me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My daughter was givin one of those wire type drain cleaners (it unrolls and has a velcro type square at the end) from a friend and gave it to me.. I use it to clean out my dryer filter works great..

Reactions: momof2boys2005

·
Registered
256 Posts
These all sound great for sinks and tubs where the product can get right down the drain but what about toilets?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Toilets? Other than turning your h20 off @ the stool & pouring something down? No, never done that. We've "snaked" a stool before tho. For my sinks, 1st of every month, I dump in some baking soda, vinegar, let it sit & then I pour in an eight qt pot of boiling h20. Like above ^ be careful about NOT cracking your sink & burning yourself!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
For toilets we find snaking the drain is what worked for us. Our kids are grown so we don't have issues with tons of toilet paper or items being flushed. Now, if need be, a plunger works fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts