Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
I make a variety of seasoning mixes. What I've found is, no matter what claims are made, it's best to approach a homemade mix without any expectation it's going to taste exactly like a store blend. Most likely it won't, but different isn't necessarily the same as bad.

Make very small trial batches to try seasoning mixes out, in case you don't like them. It's usually pretty easy to scale down a full recipe to make a couple tablespoons.

If you try a recipe and don't like it, try a different one for the same type. There are often differences in recipes with the same titles. If you don't like a particular ingredient, leave it out if it's not a main ingredient. It's taken me years to find some of our favorite recipes. Ramen noodle seasoning and a good onion soup mix substitute were especially problematic.

If you have a source for inexpensive herbs and spices, it's generally lots cheaper to DIY. HM seasonings are also easier to adjust to accommodate health needs, such as lower sodium, avoiding MSG, allergies, etc.

Pinterest is a wonderful source for almost any seasoning mix recipe.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've made my own taco seasoning before. It was good. Like you said it didn't taste like the package. Comes in handy when you need gluten or salt free. I made my own chicken seasoning. Just mixed some of the spices I usually use when I cook chicken. Much easier than pulling out all the different bottles.

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
Taco seasoning was the first mix I ever made 30+ yrs ago. The recipe was in the Make A Mix Cookery cookbook. I've used it ever since. I didn't really get into making lots of seasoning mixes until about 20 yrs ago, when we got internet. It ramped up even more when I discovered Pinterest. That's my go-to now if I need seasoning mixes. I've copied dozens into a binder I keep.

Oddly enough, I found good, cheap spices and herbs at a fleet supply store.

I hate that salt-free seasonings like Mrs. Dash are so expensive.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it is good to test out any recipes. plus for controlling salt. Because of fundraisers I have a collection of epicure mixes which I like plus have the separate spices. I just don't tend to measure spices just throw them into what ever I am making but there are people who are new to cooking or need recipes. Plus you can make them for gifts.

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
Mrs. Dash has lots of varieties. I think the lack of salt makes them underwhelming. We've all been trained to like salty foods in this country.

I throw in lots of seasonings, too, Martha. That's about the only thing left I can cook with and not have to measure to the nth degree. It's why I store stuff like oregano, basil, and chili powder in pint jars! Especially since Husby's heart attack when Doc said cut the salt. I've been fighting that battle much longer than that, but of course the heart attack was a big wakeup call to do better. We've been backsliding lately but will eventually get back into better habits, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sugar is the big thing in this house lol if I tried to get dh off of that... Wasn't raised on a lot of salt so I don't even have salt shakers on table. I do use it just not making it snow like mil lol But yes there is a lot of processed stuff around ..salt is the cheapest spice for that and don't cook everyday. Here we don't get a lot of Mrs Dash stuff but Epicure does have great mixes.

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
Sugar does a lot of damage. Heart patients, even those at a normal weight like Husby, are supposed to avoid it as much as possible. He's a sugar addict, so it's not easy, but making my own cake and brownie mixes helps with that, too. I can just reduce the sugar in them or leave it out altogether like in Bisquick mix I've used since the 1980s. Or I can use whole grain flours to make pancake mixes. I love finding new ways to eat better and save money and avoid some of the additives in commercially prepared mixes.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes but he has come a long way over the decades...he lived off burgers ..I mean to be graphic ..got the runs if he ate jam once in a while cus that was his only fruit. So work in progress lol Partly cus his mom wasn't an inventive cook back then (way different when older) and his allergies and texture issues. only white flour etc. so somethings he has gotten better with cus found out things like real mac n cheese or certain veggies don't have to cooked that way. sometimes I think are genetic lol when we started hanging out with his cousins daughter and was at a restaurant..they both were no mixing foods eat one type at a time. I was so it is genetic lol

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
Thanks for the handy chart, M. I find it useful to know what seasonings go with certain foods, even if I don't use spice mixes that often. With DH's allergy to all kinds of pepper there's almost nothing pre-made he can have, so I just got used to adding flavors on the fly. Plus we've decided to go lower salt. Since I make large batches of things like taco filling and chili, then portion and freeze, there's little point in keeping taco or chili seasoning around for months, I just add spices as I make it. The one exception is bbq rub, because that has a lot of ingredients and I use it throughout the year.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
yes but he has come a long way over the decades...he lived off burgers ..I mean to be graphic ..got the runs if he ate jam once in a while cus that was his only fruit. So work in progress lol Partly cus his mom wasn't an inventive cook back then (way different when older) and his allergies and texture issues. only white flour etc. so somethings he has gotten better with cus found out things like real mac n cheese or certain veggies don't have to cooked that way. sometimes I think are genetic lol when we started hanging out with his cousins daughter and was at a restaurant..they both were no mixing foods eat one type at a time. I was so it is genetic lol
I do think there might be something genetic to food quirks and dislikes. Of course all sorts of factors are at play like what you grew up with or eating a bad version of a food that turned you off a food.

I have a relative with an incredibly severe revulsion to mustard. Not only does she not eat it herself, she can't eat if someone else at the table has mustard on her food. I feel like that has to be some genetic quirk.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
totally cus I don't like mangoes and my mom doesn't either. but not like I ate them growing up but now they are around a lot. Everyone loves them not me! No allergy and my mom and dad were good cooks plus we were exposed to lots of good food and cuisines. I know mustard is a common allergy but guess her nose was sensitive! I mean I know if you are sick etc and there was something that reminds you of it..nope. Like my friend and kraft dinner after being pregnant. or store baked potato soup and then I got hit w norwalk.

dh I think bad cooking plus his allergies which I think mostly cus his parents were really heavy smokers. Cus ds takes after me...has all the hayfever ones from me and my side and dd takes after him and has the egg one. in small amounts in stuff like a cake mix it is ok. With her not as bad but then not really other allergies. so think you trigger and other allergies get worse. he has asthma too. One visit to his aunt and she was saying something doctor saying to eat more eggs for protein and she was just can't unless egg salad and limited. I was hey that is a real family allergy not random. some things didn't matter cus everything was processed and white flour but now you have to see if a burger bun is white bread or what.. and gluten free isn't the same either. cus he is allergic all grains nuts and seeds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts