Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started making my own veg burgers, soy "lunch meat" (from the Vegandad Blog), soysages (also VeganDad).. and chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon. I am amazed at how much cheaper it is to make them at home. Does anyone have any recipes to share for other stuff? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
From a VERY OLD PA State Grange cookbook. They really do taste like sausage.

Mock Sausage

1 cup dried lima beans or 3 cups cooked beans
2/3 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 tablespoon sage

Force cooked beans through a strainer. Add remaining ingredients. Shape into the form of sausages. Saute in butter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking for a vegan recipe, but I am going to try this one with flaxseed meal and water in place of the eggs. I will report back on how they come out using the substitution. Thank you!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You're welcome. I hope they come out for you. I would think the biggest challenge would be them holding together. I would turn them infrequently and carefully.

Reactions: Maisiedotes

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bake sausage patties in cupcake tins rather than trying to fry them in a pan, then freeze them for later use. Sorry, I don't follow a recipe, just cook them until they are done. 350 seems to be what I tend to cook on. I have silicon cupcake tins.

Kate

·
Registered
19 Posts
maybe someone can help me out, i had some garden burgers at a cafeteria once that tasted somewhat like fish with barbecue sauce. im pretty sure it was soy based but it was so good i could barely tell that i wasn't eating meat.

i'd totally cook it myself if i knew how they make it, anyone have any idea what i'm taking about?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts