Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember my mom using the bias tape when she made bibs for babies and the stretch lace when doing hems on delicate fabrics. I just don't see many people buying these things anymore when I make my rare visit to the fabric or craft store;) .

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I like to make bias tape so it matches and blends into the progest i am doing. but i have used them and i like stretch lace for Hannah's dresses

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I did use bias for bibs, back when my kids were babies, and all my friends were having babies (bibs were a great gift).

I used bias last by making my own, encasing it around some polar fleece for home made cording.

BTW if you are ever interested, cut polar fleece in strips, pull and it rolls up all nice and fat like the finest filler cord. And UNLIKE the filler cord, polar fleece wont shrink.

I haven't used stretch lace for hems since about 1972. I have used a bit of good stretch lace for waistbands of panties, but that was a few years back and it was a better quality than the stuff they used for hems.

If I remember correctly the stretch lace, you sort of used it to ease the hemline back in, because if a hem is on a skirt that flares out,

the bits under the hem have to "come in" in order to fit up under the hem neatly and stretch lace was a tidy way to hem.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I have lots of bias tape and stretch lace. I use (and make my own) bias tape for all sorts of things, mainly home decor projects. Stretch lace I use when making lingerie, it isn't scratchy like the other laces. :)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I use bias tape for binding quilts once in a while if I find some that matches well. If not, I just make my own.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
maybe i am thinking of the wrong thing when i have thought stretch lace...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts