·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to think about this. LOL

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Sometimes they have to, kwim!!!! When we lived in the city, everyone had a fence. Mostly for privacy but often to keep the neighbours away!!!!!

Out in our little town, there isn't a fence to be seen and I love it. Were also not so close to each other that our roof is practically touching like in the city.

Sara, I hope it can all work out for you soon. There is nothing like having a neighbour that isn't agreeable or friendly.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sometimes, I think that is the case, but currently I am having a bit of a fence dispute with our "new" neighbors. They are renters and have decided to take it upon them to put up a fence. Now, I do not have a problem with them putting up a fence as we have part of our back yard fenced ourselves.
My problem is that they ran the fence starting on their side of the house and coming all the way across to our side of our house, which clearly crosses onto our property. :fuming: To make a long story short, the city has no interest in helping us, we have retained a lawyer, and it is the biggest headache trying to get this thing resolved :soapbox:
and i hope it goes away soon!!! :mad:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kills me is that she is working on a lovely yard except for the property line. She is actually now planting in front of all her section that is overgrown and ugly.
I am thinking a fence would be great for so many reasons. I have never been the type to want a fence, but puppy, kids, eyesores......I don't know...it's beginning to sound good to me.
I trimmed that gigantic bush a bit, but not anything that makes it look nice. I will have to take a picture....lmao

There used to be a website called "My Redneck Neighbors". I might have to create my own version of it. LOL

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Sara, I remember that web site! I am stuck between 2 rednecks!
Junk all over the proch on 1 and the yard on the other!
YUCK!!!!
Good luck hiding that eyesore!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sara,

I do believe that I have saw that Redneck Neighbors website that you are talking about.
It does seem that a fence may be the only solution. I don't understand why she even would want to keep that massive ugly bush around. I saw the photo that you posted and totally agree that it is an eyesore. Maybe it has some type of sentimental value to her as I cannot think of any other reason she would want to keep it.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
It depends on the neighbour!!;) And in your case I might be going to the local lumber yard and checking out prices!!:D

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Heh Sara, I got to thinking about this. I know you mentioned that the people who had your place before you purchased it just left it run down and didn't take care of the yard.

I'm wondering if she is afraid this may happen again and she is using the ugliest bush I've seen in a long time, to hide from that.

Just a thought.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually the reason isn't because of the previous owners here. She just moved into her home last December. Go figure.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Maybe if you told her that unless she lets you trim up the bush some more you are going to put up a fence she will finally see the light! But then again she may be one of those people who just don't care so the fence may be the only solution.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think fences can make good neighbors..
We have a fence and it keeps our kids and our dog out of the neighbors yard, we put the fence far away from their property line (mostly because it is a hill) and the other side is a road so they have their perfect grass without any of our creatures on it.... We didn't have a problem before the fence but the fence was to keep the triplets in our yard and safe..

Eileen

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
We changed our fence last year with our neighbour. Before it was falling in ruins, it had a door, between our yards which neither of us wanted. Our old fence was 4 feet high. We had no privacy. Now we have a 6 feet fence and we both love it. Our backyard doors are practically side by side, but this way, we can have privacy. So yes, I think a fence can make good neigbhours.:)

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
couponchic said:
My problem is that they ran the fence starting on their side of the house and coming all the way across to our side of our house, which clearly crosses onto our property. :fuming: To make a long story short, the city has no interest in helping us, we have retained a lawyer, and it is the biggest headache trying to get this thing resolved :soapbox:
and i hope it goes away soon!!! :mad:

Do you not have to get a permit and a final inspection from the city where you live when a fence is put up? That's the way it works here so if someone does put their fence on another's property it is clearly an issue that the city must handle. (((((HUGS)))))

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
QuilterMom, Yes you are supposed to get a permit here, but the city did not seem to care one bit that the neighbors did not get the permit. The city gladly checked to see whether or not a permit was issued and determined there was no permit, but did not seem too upset about losing that permit money. It makes no sense to me but evidently, it must not be that big of a deal in the city's eyes.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
We had a GOOD FENCE that made BAD NIEGHTBORS !!!!!!
The previous neighbors had a son that did 100's of dollars of damage to our fence...... They moved and never fixed it ...:mad:
Good luck with your nutty neighbor..........

·
Registered
269 Posts
I never thought I would want a fence but our neighbors had an obnoxious son, hated our dogs (who never left our yard but they would stand and stare at them daring them to cross one paw into their yard), and we wanted my son to be safe when he started walking. It has been the best thing we ever did!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i think fences are good. we have a weird landlord to the neighboring property. her property is higher than ours and her retaining wall that keeps her yard up out of ours is falling to ruin, but she refuses to fix it. It is a huge mess and we expect to soon be going to court about it. It is with in her property but the rocks from it are fallin in to our property (and previous tenants of hers burried trash in her yard, so we are finding more trash in our yard as her retaining wall crumbles. we found a oven grate sticking partially out of the dirt that had previously been hidded behind a rock that had fallen off) Any how... i am for fences.

·
Registered
312 Posts
After chasing a bull, two cows, and three goats out of my garden *after* they had eaten half the spinach and traipsed over a good part of the rest of it, I'm all for fences.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
We are glad we put up our fence. It keeps our kids and dog in and the neighborhood kids from cutting through our yard to go to the park.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts