Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in Nov. I found a job online that I was interested in. We were going to be relocating from Maine to Mass. I emailed my resume and when I heard back, lo and behold it was someone I had occasionally done catering with several years ago. I met with him- he has a deli, catering company, and is starting to get into corporate foodservice (like, in case you are not familiar with it, if there is a large company that wants to offer their employees lunch, we would be the contracted kitchen). He had a corporate account in the works- just waiting on the finalized contract. The gig was supposed to start Jan 5. Our conversation went like this:
him: I want you to run the account.
me: OK, I really need $35,000/yr
him: if you can give me 40 hrs a week, I can do that.
Me: DEAL!

$35,000/yr at 40 hrs a week is almost $17/hr.

ETA: I should mention, I am always keeping an eye out for a better job, but there seems to be nothing much out there in my field for decent money. I saw an overnight bakery job (foodservice is my industry) that pays $9/hr... everything is in that ballpark.

Thanks for any advice.

Now, a month later, we still don't have the final word on the contract. I have been working at the deli in the meantime, helping him out, but he is only giving me $12/hr. I am paying approx. $3 of that in taxes, $1.50/day in tolls, $5/hr in daycare, plus gas (it is a 45 min ride each way) and wear and tear on the car.

I have nothing in writing. I confronted him about it and he said "Jan and Feb are tough since we don't have the corporate account yet". The company that was going to sign us is putting us off... "we should know by next week", yadda yadda. I feel like he pulled a bait and switch on me. I make a small salary each day at $12/hr at the deli, aand I work 18-30 hrs a week, which is more than alot of places are paying for the same job.

I don't know what to do. The job is better than nothing and maybe it will turn into something more... but maybe not. I was hired to do one thing and it has turned into another, at much less pay. We are wayyyyy behind on our bills because I was banking on a certain amount of money each month and it is much less.

What woudl you do?

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I bet he's feeling the same pinch everyone else is. Those accounts he was betting on are probably blowing him off. For what it's worth, I don't think he's trying to be a pain. I would stick it out, keep in contact, and keep your eyes peeled for something closer to home as a back up plan. I am sure it's frustrating as all get out.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Ooooh, that's a tough one. Don't know what to say but sending you good wishes. :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
That is a tough situation. I don't think he played a bait and switch on you. I'm sure he was expecting the contract to have gone through by now, and had intended on having you take on that account.

Keep an eye out for something better, but stick with it until you find something better, and hopefully, the corporate accounts will come through and you'll get your better position!

Hang in there!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
It's a rough situation, and sadly, a verbal contract is only worth the paper it's printed upon. I think you'ld be justified in telling him, "Look, the deal was $17/hr, 40 hours. I know its rough for you too, but if you can't meet that deal, then I'll have to start looking for a job that meets my needs. "

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Sorry the job didn't turn out to be what you thought you were getting. But, in this economy I don't find it hard to believe that the contracts your boss was expecting haven't came through yet.

If you decide to strong arm your boss like Greebo suggested, be prepared to hit the door. Another words have another job lined up just in case he tells you he can't pay you $17.00 an hour. If other jobs in your field are paying an average of $9.00 an hour, I think $12.00 an hour to start isn't unreasonable. My dh worked for almost 16 years at the same company to make it to $17.00 an hour and was making almost $20 per/hr when he was injured. My point is that $12 an hour to start isn't anything to sneeze at.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I just want to be clear, I don't think you should try to *strong arm* him. I'm suggesting saying something with the message, 'Listen, I like this job, I want to be here, but when I came it was with the expectation of $17/hr and 40 hour weeks. I appreciate you have it tough too right now, but I have bills to pay, so if you can't meet your end of the bargain, I'm going to have to change something. I'd rather not have to.'

I definitely do NOT recommend being beligerant about it. I just suck at phrasing that. ;)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
At $12 an hour in this economy, I suggest sucking it up and looking while holding onto the job you have. I know how deeply disappointed you must feel and frustrated too; but since we are but a few days out of January maybe the account may still come through.
Also maybe you can find some side jobs, I am sure lots of people getting married would appreciate a better price for their weddings.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would say to you that a job in the hand is worth two in the bush so to speak.

You have to look out for you and your best interests, no one else is going to do it for you.

If it were me I would keep working as 12 hour is better then nothing but I would also be keeping my eye out for anything that paid more/ moved me in a direction I really wanted to go.

I would also approach him gently, I would have the courtesy to tell him I was looking for another job if I started to look that is...

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i would LOVE to get $12 an hr, i am only getting $7.50. i know it isn't much but where i live there are not many job choices. i would keep the job and continue to look for something better in your spare time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with the others, I don't believe this was a bait and switch. You can keep looking for other jobs, but if it is as you say with what you are finding being in the $9/hr range, where you are now is your best bet. Find a way to make that $12/hr work for you. Rearrange your budget. You said "We are wayyyyy behind on our bills because I was banking on a certain amount of money each month and it is much less." The 'don't count your chickens before they hatch' phrase didn't come from nowhere. You spent money you didn't have?
I would say stay where you are. I am sure it wasn't his intention to be making less money, and when those contracts come in you'll probably be very glad you stuck it out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I never was good at math, but I am having a hard time with your numbers. $12 an hour with $5 an hour and $3 of the $12 in taxes, that leaves you with $4 an hour? You say you work 18 - 30 hours a week, going on an about average of 25 hours a week you would get $100 a week. Take out of that your tolls and gas and you are left with a little over half that right? So after all that, a 25 hour week you make less than $2.50 an hour? Why work? I have definitely rethought my previous answer and would say, stay home and be mom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts