Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading several articles and in every one, a gun has been mentioned. I haven't even thought about this. I don't know what to do or even how to decide if my home would need a gun.
The articles were referring to protecting yourself in the event of a disaster. Would I have the heart to use it if I caught someone stealing my water? I guess if I was put in that situation......
This is a serious situation.
Please FV family........do you or know of people having a gun for the sake of disasters?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me add: I am an ER nurse and most of the time, I deal with idiots that have gotten hurt because of playing with a gun or the lack of knowledge of using a gun. Plus, I grew up in the city where guns was also a bad thing. So, I haven't thought of anything positive about guns.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
We have guns because we hunt deer. Those are the only guns we have.

·
Registered
708 Posts
yes but

i wouldnt use it because someone stole some water...it would be used if someone was trying to harm my family....i would always be willing to share what i had with anyone who needed it....however you lay a finger on someone in my family then you gots to do whats you gots to do...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wouldnt use it because someone stole some water...it would be used if someone was trying to harm my family....i would always be willing to share what i had with anyone who needed it....however you lay a finger on someone in my family then you gots to do whats you gots to do...
I hear ya!!!!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Cea and I both own 9mm's that we each purchased before we knew each other.

Reactions: mh3rdwheel

·
Registered
708 Posts
I also wanted to add...

that we didnt go out and buy a gun for when the shtf scenario...we have them because dh and son go hunting...they can just serve both purposes....

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I am in the midst of getting my concealed pistol license right now. I hope I never need it.

Read some of the posts on here regarding the possible collapse of the US government and how people are stockpiling because of that thinking. Is it possible? Anything is, so it's better to have and not need vs need and not have?

Well, maybe I feel the same way with the concealed pistol. Though, there have been a few times around the house I wish I had it... rabid coons, a wounded groundhog, etc.

I also have shotguns and rifles for hunting.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
We have quite a few guns. The guys hunt and a few are old collectables. Dh wants a handgun just for the heck of it not to defend ourselves.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
We have guns, will use them!

T

·
0 Posts
DH was a big into handguns before we got married, so we do have some, however it's a hobby he really hasn't persued recently. I did take a class last year to get my permit, but that's more because we have a child, and I want to be able to safely handle them if I have to since they are in the house. Getting my permit is still on the to-do list for me, partly because its $100. I don't plan on going out and getting my own gun, though.

·
27,948 Posts
We have guns for a variety of reasons and that includes defending what we hold dear, whether that means our water supply or our lives. Having a gun means we have choices we can make and not be at the mercy of others.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Dh has hunting rifles, but I have been wanting to learn to shoot and get my own so I can protect myself as well as feed myself if I ever had too. Oh and the guns are kept safely locked up away from little hands.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Personally, I own no gun, but my husband does (for work). I live with well-trained dogs as a crime deterrent. I have no problem with responsible people owning guns, though. I just am not one to be interested in that type of protection. Maybe I'll change my mind someday. . .

Reactions: sinopa27

·
8,714 Posts
~Many people have guns(35-50% of Americans) and most are good gun owners. You don't hear a lot about them because they are responsible and safe and don't feel they need to prove how awesome or tough they are by brandishing them about. They have them for work, hunting, protection or sport shooting.
The criminals get all the interest of the media and Government. They like highlighting the bad news because that's what sells.~

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I agree with nuisance. I know many people who own firearms, and who keep and use them responsibly and have never been to the ER for being stupid. I don't know anyone who has had to shoot anyone (except in times of war) but I do know of some cases where intruders were scared off.

Whether or not I'd use a gun in some post apocalypse Mad Max scenario.... well I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I have been reading several articles and in every one, a gun has been mentioned. I haven't even thought about this. I don't know what to do or even how to decide if my home would need a gun.
Let me assist you with this.

You should not own a gun. If you're at all uncertain about gun ownership, you certainly should not own one.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We own multiple weapons. At least two of them are required for my husband's line of work. Some are purely recreational. Others are for defense purposes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
myself,my son and my brother all have guns-pistols and rifles and we have all been taught since we were very young on gun safety-we will not be victims in any form -everyone has time to prepare if they wanted to-i will not share with someone that is to dumb to expect a handout from someone that has the will to prepare and they didn't prepare----yes we have guns and they are for hunting and defense and i have a ccl too

1 - 20 of 183 Posts