Frugal Village Forums banner

41 - 60 of 183 Posts

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I wouldn't say that we are criminal or paranoid. Hubby is in law enforcement. His weapon is a job requirement.

Hubby has had someone he has had dealings with in his career threaten our family. So no, I wouldn't say we are paranoid. I would say that we are vigilant and prepared for something that is a real threat in our life. To us, it's no different than having a stockpile ready in the event of a job loss.

Besides, we love shooting. It's fun to us. I told hubby that I want a pretty pink AR-15. sigh.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I don't have one, won't have one, wouldn't use it if I did. If the world truly devolves into such violent chaos, I'm not particularly interested in sticking around anyway.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
We have several. My Dh has a CPL. We belong to a sportsmans club snd have for yrs. We are not criminals or paranoid and that is a VERY ignorant veiw.
Both my kids,now adults were trained by professionals at the club and DD was in the venturing pistol club. Both know gun safety and can clean and load guns. When they are of age they will take their CPL requirements. FYI shooting is a sport like any other. Hunting can bring in food.
Russ they shoot regularly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Been in Corrections as an officer for over ten years. We have guns. I consider it essential in our career considering people have been assaulted away from work by ex-clients. I live far enough away that I don't worry about it to much, but it is always a thought in my mind.

You have to do what to have to do to protect your family. I pray to god that is never taken away from us Americans.

Reactions: Luv2BeFrugal

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The range that DH belongs to has sent several people to the Olympics for shooting.

I don't really think that we are paranoid but more just plain old prepared. Before they cut the LEOs for the county back (we used to have 14 officers), it took a half hour for them to respond to an emergency. The reality is that this is a very rural county.

The LEOs don't have to respond to your emergency calls. They aren't required to protect you as per several court cases. I have never figured out how come they are still allowed to have "To Protect and Serve" on their cars when it has been decided more than once in court that they aren't required to "protect" a citizen. It is false advertisement.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Dh inherited a couple of guns when his Dad passed away several years ago. He hasn't brought them to our home, they are still locked away in a gun safe in my Inlaws home.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have done target shooting, VERY badly! I don't own a gun now, because I'd probably miss the bad guy and hit the cat. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Wow, criminal or paranoid. I am not paranoid nor am I silly enough to think that when someone is breaking in when I am alone that the police will swoop in and save the day! Learning to shot and load properly will take away the fear you have of a gun.

My dh's widowed aunt years ago kept 2 escaped convicts at bay until the sheriff arrived with her 20 gauge shotgun! Shot through door when the guy was busting it down with his wooden leg, he recovered from his wounds the other guy was caught walking along the highway after running from the scene! When the sheriff got there 20 minutes after she called by the way, he yelled out "Mina? Mina? It's so-so, I'm coming up to the door!". 20 minutes would have been more than enough to kill her or rape/beat her.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
We have a hand gun. Dh took the class when he got it. We also have an alarm system, 4 dogs, and I have a baseball bat!
ha!! I like the baseball bat! I have gotten into much trouble with my dogs biting someone on my land than anything!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yep. We have guns! Big black SCARY guns!!! OMG!!! We will use said guns without a thought. It's my right as an AMERICAN and a believer in the CONSTITUTION to own guns.
Since the OP already has a preconcieved notion against guns , then whats the point of asking? When you or your child is being raped by intruders, then you'll wish you had a gun. *shrugs*
But, since they're so nasty and scary and .....icky....don't get one.
Don't worry. Everything is just fine. Nothing will ever happen. Just keep watching American Idol, nothing to see here.
I understand you 100%!! I know what you mean! I was just referring to a time of a disaster. Could you kill to protect your water or just share? I am sure in a break down of systems and catastrophe, everyone could be viewed as an intruder and you would have to protect your family and what belongs to you.

My preconcieve notion wasn't against guns or the right to bear arms. I am proud to have that right!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I must admit.....that pink gun is cute!!!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I really appreciate everyone's honesty. I like it when we can have pros and cons on delicate subjects like this and still be family. That is why I come to you, FV family, with questions regarding this.
I can't base my decisions on the idiots that come to the ER that have done something stupid with a gun. Just like I don't decide on how I care for myself and family based on some patients that come in. I get upset when a parent lets their child run a high fever and don't give the child anything to reduce the fever. So, I need to overlook the craziness and make a sound decision.
Thank you.
P.S. I have fired a gun several times in my life. (U.S.Air Force) and my mom's shotgun.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I don't have one, won't have one, wouldn't use it if I did. If the world truly devolves into such violent chaos, I'm not particularly interested in sticking around anyway.
Watch the news. As much as we may wish otherwise, there are people out there willing to use force, and even to kill, to take from those of us who wish to live in peace.

If one is not willing to fight back against those who would do such harm, one makes oneself a victim - a slave to the short term whim of the brutish thug.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Watch the news. As much as we may wish otherwise, there are people out there willing to use force, and even to kill, to take from those of us who wish to live in peace.

If one is not willing to fight back against those who would do such harm, one makes oneself a victim - a slave to the short term whim of the brutish thug.
I see what you mean. I have made my decision. It's time to get protection and proper training and educating my family.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
We have guns (secured I might add) for hunting and target shooting. As others have said, I would never harm anyone unless they threatened my kids. Then the mama bear comes out.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I see what you mean. I have made my decision. It's time to get protection and proper training and educating my family.
Thanks!
It is by no means necessary for every citizen to be armed.

If you're not comfortable with the idea of guns, you should NOT have them in you house.

41 - 60 of 183 Posts