Frugal Village Forums banner

do people really have a gun?

Tags
gun people
15K views 182 replies 89 participants last post by  khaski 
#1 ·
I have been reading several articles and in every one, a gun has been mentioned. I haven't even thought about this. I don't know what to do or even how to decide if my home would need a gun.
The articles were referring to protecting yourself in the event of a disaster. Would I have the heart to use it if I caught someone stealing my water? I guess if I was put in that situation......
This is a serious situation.
Please FV family........do you or know of people having a gun for the sake of disasters?

#2 ·
Let me add: I am an ER nurse and most of the time, I deal with idiots that have gotten hurt because of playing with a gun or the lack of knowledge of using a gun. Plus, I grew up in the city where guns was also a bad thing. So, I haven't thought of anything positive about guns.

#3 ·
We have guns because we hunt deer. Those are the only guns we have.

#4 ·
yes but

i wouldnt use it because someone stole some water...it would be used if someone was trying to harm my family....i would always be willing to share what i had with anyone who needed it....however you lay a finger on someone in my family then you gots to do whats you gots to do...

#5 ·
i wouldnt use it because someone stole some water...it would be used if someone was trying to harm my family....i would always be willing to share what i had with anyone who needed it....however you lay a finger on someone in my family then you gots to do whats you gots to do...
I hear ya!!!!

#6 ·
Cea and I both own 9mm's that we each purchased before we knew each other.

Reactions: mh3rdwheel
#7 ·
I also wanted to add...

that we didnt go out and buy a gun for when the shtf scenario...we have them because dh and son go hunting...they can just serve both purposes....

#8 ·
I am in the midst of getting my concealed pistol license right now. I hope I never need it.

Read some of the posts on here regarding the possible collapse of the US government and how people are stockpiling because of that thinking. Is it possible? Anything is, so it's better to have and not need vs need and not have?

Well, maybe I feel the same way with the concealed pistol. Though, there have been a few times around the house I wish I had it... rabid coons, a wounded groundhog, etc.

I also have shotguns and rifles for hunting.

G
#11 ·
DH was a big into handguns before we got married, so we do have some, however it's a hobby he really hasn't persued recently. I did take a class last year to get my permit, but that's more because we have a child, and I want to be able to safely handle them if I have to since they are in the house. Getting my permit is still on the to-do list for me, partly because its $100. I don't plan on going out and getting my own gun, though.

#12 ·
We have guns for a variety of reasons and that includes defending what we hold dear, whether that means our water supply or our lives. Having a gun means we have choices we can make and not be at the mercy of others.

#14 ·
Personally, I own no gun, but my husband does (for work). I live with well-trained dogs as a crime deterrent. I have no problem with responsible people owning guns, though. I just am not one to be interested in that type of protection. Maybe I'll change my mind someday. . .

Reactions: sinopa27
#15 ·
~Many people have guns(35-50% of Americans) and most are good gun owners. You don't hear a lot about them because they are responsible and safe and don't feel they need to prove how awesome or tough they are by brandishing them about. They have them for work, hunting, protection or sport shooting.
The criminals get all the interest of the media and Government. They like highlighting the bad news because that's what sells.~

#146 ·
I second this...well said!

Growing up and living in Alaska, guns are VERY common... I started shooting when I was 5...taught safely and responsibly. Yes, Dh and I have guns...several...and we can both shoot and reload all of them. We've both also had formal training.

We're one of the most dangerous cities per capita...really high rape rates. I either carry concealed...or don't go to certain areas at certain times of day. It is what it is...I'm not paranoid, the statistics are there for all to see. Yes, I know women who've been raped.

Would I use a gun if I had to? Yes, to save my life, my Dh's, etc. Without a doubt. Do I want to? NO...I hope it never happens. Better safe than sorry.

Along with people...very large animals are another factor up here. It's not safe to go on most trails without a weapon (moose, bears, wolves, etc.). Again...open carry or concealed carry...you just assume everyone is carrying.

I will point out - one of the highest rates of rape by area of town is the college campus area - where carrying a gun is *NOT* permitted. I don't take classes that go very late because of this fact...and carry a knife on me when I am there (yes, that's allowed). It's usually 3 or more rapes per week in that area (that are actually reported - many aren't up here - don't know why).

Now, if there was only a way to keep my 2nd amendment rights *and* get a college education at the same time...

#16 ·
I agree with nuisance. I know many people who own firearms, and who keep and use them responsibly and have never been to the ER for being stupid. I don't know anyone who has had to shoot anyone (except in times of war) but I do know of some cases where intruders were scared off.

Whether or not I'd use a gun in some post apocalypse Mad Max scenario.... well I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

#17 ·
I have been reading several articles and in every one, a gun has been mentioned. I haven't even thought about this. I don't know what to do or even how to decide if my home would need a gun.
Let me assist you with this.

You should not own a gun. If you're at all uncertain about gun ownership, you certainly should not own one.

#19 ·
myself,my son and my brother all have guns-pistols and rifles and we have all been taught since we were very young on gun safety-we will not be victims in any form -everyone has time to prepare if they wanted to-i will not share with someone that is to dumb to expect a handout from someone that has the will to prepare and they didn't prepare----yes we have guns and they are for hunting and defense and i have a ccl too

#53 ·
ha!! I like the baseball bat! I have gotten into much trouble with my dogs biting someone on my land than anything!

#21 ·
We have guns- but they're in the states with my dad. It's too expensive and time-consuming to have guns in Europe.

We have them for a mixture of home-defense and hunting. I've used guns since I was little- my dad taught me how to use them responsibly. DH also has used guns since he was little.

#23 ·
Give or take, once a year, yeah.

#24 ·
We don't have any guns unless you count a Nerf gun and a bubble blowing one.

My parents never had one growing up and I haven't ever wanted one. I wouldn't use it if I had one and would be uncomfortable with one in the house.

Plus, in 2007 my mom's husband at the time (now her convicted ex) put a cocked and loaded gun down her throat and told her he was going to blow her head off. So much for being a pillar of the community, respected business owner and responsible gun owner.

Pretty much everyone else in my extended family has a gun though. My mom has some kind of permit to keep hers on her person in part because of the ex-hubby incident.

#29 ·
Yep. We have guns! Big black SCARY guns!!! OMG!!! We will use said guns without a thought. It's my right as an AMERICAN and a believer in the CONSTITUTION to own guns.
Since the OP already has a preconcieved notion against guns , then whats the point of asking? When you or your child is being raped by intruders, then you'll wish you had a gun. *shrugs*
But, since they're so nasty and scary and .....icky....don't get one.
Don't worry. Everything is just fine. Nothing will ever happen. Just keep watching American Idol, nothing to see here.

#54 ·
I understand you 100%!! I know what you mean! I was just referring to a time of a disaster. Could you kill to protect your water or just share? I am sure in a break down of systems and catastrophe, everyone could be viewed as an intruder and you would have to protect your family and what belongs to you.

My preconcieve notion wasn't against guns or the right to bear arms. I am proud to have that right!

#30 ·
No, I have no guns nor will I ever own a gun.
People have them to hunt, okay fine but Im not a hunter
People who have them for protection primarily (but not exclusively) fall into two categories , criminals or paranoid. I find neither of those to be people who should have a gun.

#33 ·
You don't think that last bit is perhaps just a BIT of an over-generalization?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.