Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, in the winter, it's easy to get bummed out from having to be indoors all the time, and it's easy to let things slide a little because you aren't feeling on top of your game.

So, I'm challenging everyone to do one extra frugal thing that they either a)don't normally do, or b)used to do, but for one reason or another, have fallen away from.

Post what you've decided to do here, and then let us know when you've done it!

As for myself, I haven't been using my laundry line over the past few months. This week, I'm hanging as much as possible, and drying less in the dryer, hopefully taming the gas bill this month.

Next?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
This sounds great! I will have to think about it. I just started considering real frugality a few months ago and therefore have changed many little ways of life recently. Let's see what I can add.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'll be in on this too but let me think on what I can do. I will post what I decide on.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Well, last night I made Potato Soup, and I was so proud of myself :clap: I've been busy redoing two rooms and hadn't made a meal plan or gone for groceries this week. I've never made (or eaten) Potato Soup, and I've never been good at just throwing a meal together out of nothing. I went through a couple of recipes here and on allrecipes, and actually ended up making one up that used the stuff I had on hand. And the best part - it was actually good!! I almost posted in the success stories because it was such a huge step for me.

Today I attempted to make a homemade version of KD for lunch, but it tasted terrible. We ate it anyway, so I guess it was frugal ;)

I've gone through all the online tips, etc. that I can find and I'm running out of new ideas for 'little' frugal things. Hopefully, someone posts something new and exciting.

·
Registered
663 Posts
OK - I'll Bite

What's "KD" for lunch?

Here's my "Frugality"

Made dinner last nite out of soon to be too old potatoes and shreds of ham. Scalloped potatoes and ham and it turned out delisioso if I do say so myself . . .ilo going out or ordering out.

Refused to turn on the heater (I live in Southern AZ and yes, anything <80 degrees is cold for me) and piled on the sweats . . .

YEAH FOR ME!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I'm going to try and cook at home every night this week! That'll be a big one in itself, for us. ;) Also, back to line drying... it's been awhile. I may just try and lure DS2 back to cloth dipes again, too! I'll also vote potluck for my lunch playdate later this week. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have never line dried clothes but I'm going to start to! I ordered a 60foot retractable clothes line and it should be here later this week. After that, I'm not going to use my dryer except for when I need something quick. :)

I'm actually really excited about it although DH is like "We paid for the dryer so we should use it.". He doesn't do the laundry so he doesn't get a say. :p

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
This sounds like fun:cutie: I'm going to make more meals from scratch now that I have so many recipes to try and things that I just seem to come up with lately & this isn't something that I do regularly so it's going to be fun to see what turns out & what doesn't :rolleyes: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I really have been trying to make the extra effort to cook from scratch too. I've made up some freezer stuff and have been baking goodies. We haven't eaten out (except for a pizza) in weeks! It's amazing how much we spend on eating out!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have started 2 for one nights.

If I cook meat loaf and mashed potatoes I cook twicw the amount and freeze one and we eat the other.

Kind of a save time and save energy, save money win win win situation.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I will try to bake bisquits or pan bread from scratch this week

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good idea Amy. I have had the winter blahs and am quite sick of the cold temps so have been slacking off. After much thought, mine is also using the clothes dryer. I have a drying rack, but last week slacked off and used the dryer as I was lazy. So today I have a load of laundry drying on the rack and will get back to just using the rack.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Great idea, Amy. I'm going to make up some mixes for muffins, hot rolls, etc. to put in the freezer. I used to do this all the time, but have slacked off.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good idea Autumn, I forgot I had some bread and muffin mixes I stocked up on at a $$ Store, so will do some baking and freeze them!

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I've been being very lax with not turning off the lights all the time, so I'll try to do better with that. I'm also going to make all my meals this week at home!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Great thread! I'm going to force myself to eat out of my pantry for awhile instead of buying groceries. I've run out of cupboard space! :yikes: I bought some groceries today and ended up piling some of them on the counter until I can clear some cupboard space.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I stopped adding the border on my ebay listing. Sure they only cost 10 cents but it adds up!

My stuff is pretty enough not to need all that fancy stuff.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ok I have been thinking long and hard about a serious challenge for myself. When we move I will be buying a drying rack to put on the sun porch for laundry, but until then I want to challenge myself in the way of eating out and buying food out. I want to go a whole week without purchasing drinks, burritos, anything out...eating what I have at home. This is like fast food or fountain drinks (my weakness). The only exception to my rule will be if I get a crisis call and have to go out unexpectedly for a long period of time.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
we have already decided to give up our debit cards (except for gas) for the period of Lent. It starts tomorrow thats gonna make a huge difference in our frugality i hate to let go of cash. i ll let you allknow how it goes. i am afraid DH will empty his account so he can have a ton of cash LOL

also more homemade cleaners

1 - 20 of 46 Posts