Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I think his comments shouldn't be tolerated on the other I think but the man lost his job.

How do you all feel about this??

·
Registered
820 Posts
I do not condone what he said, but I don't believe that he should have been fired. For one thing we are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country. And for another, if everyone got fired for doing something stupid at their job, we would all be unemployed.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I think that his termination was absolutely the right thing to do. I am very proud of the sponsors, who are actually the parties that were ultimately responsible for his termination, that they realized that there should be no tolerance for his type of rhetoric. I heard Nancy Pelosi on Leno last night and she made a comment about not mistaking cruelty for humor. I think that she was so correct in that assessment. It was not humorous to hear a group of fine young women referred to in such a vile derogatory manner, it was cruel and disgusting.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I also do not agree with what he said....he did apologize...I don't think he should have lost his job...other journalists have said stupid things as have actors, politicians etc.....but what ever happened to freedom of speech? are we all so "PC" that we have lost this basic right????..imho....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think that if it had been Imus's first offense he should not have lost his job, but this has all happened with him before. Unfortunately I think this country has become so politically correct that freedom of speech has been damaged as a result. I also think that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson should also have to apologize to the Duke La Crosse players for the things they said too. It's a two way street and there are racists on every side. It seems that whenever someone says something that is not in agreement with the world a witch hunt ensues. It's sad really. JMHO

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I agree that he should not have been fired. It is ashame that being politically correct is overriding freedom of speech.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My 2 cents

A black woman attorney and civil activist wrote an editorial that I agree with - She said that Imus was and always will be rude and disrespectful to a lot of people. She also said that his apology for his remarks was appropriate. In addition - black men, actors, songwriters, rappers, etc. should also get in line and start their apologies too.

To that end - I do appreciate some of the views and a lot of the guests he has had on his show. I has assisted some amazing talent that I will miss.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I completely disagree with the decision to fire Imus. Yes, his comments were rude, stupid and generally horrendous, but one of the basic human rights in this country is FREE SPEECH. Just because he's a moron doesn't mean he should be fired. He did apologize, and he certainly didn't say anything that the black rappers don't say, and do we hear any of them apologizing? And anyway, who hasn't said something stupid that they regret?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I can't blame MSNBC and CBS for firing him. Like the Rutgers' basketball coach said, it's time for society to return to decency.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This is all I can say if you don't Imus then change the channel, this is America and we should have the freedom of speech, so if you don't like him you don't have to listen to him. So he is a jerk I don't like him I don't lsiten to him but I don't think he should have been fired. I feel the same way about Bill O'Reiley I hate him so I don't watch him.

I hate the idea that in this country we have to be politically correct.
I hate the idea that in school they can't have a christmas party only a holiday party because saying christmas might offened someone, I hate that you can't make a statement and say what you think without getting fired,
I hate political correctness!!!

Just my opinion,
Eileen

·
Registered
966 Posts
We DO have free speech in this country.... which is why he wasn't arrested.

I saw democracy in action. Many in the general public threatened to boycott the sponsors who stayed on, so they jumped ship... in response, his employers really had no choice but to fire him.

I'd love to see this reaction to some of the others mentioned above.... (especially the rappers). If the general public would boycott MORE offensive things, the nonsense would stop & we could have a return to decency.

It seems the only way to get the message across is to hit them where it hurts -- in the wallet!!!

But don't be surprised to see satellite radio pick him now, just like they did with Howard Stern :rolleyes:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Freedom of speech is for your private life. What you say on the job is up to your employer. If his employer does not wish to be associated with people who use that type of language, then absolutely he should be fired.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Gotta add... political correctness drives me crazy, too. But there is a difference between making an opinion or statement about a certain group of people, and flat-out name calling!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I felt so sorry for those girls!

They were totally innocent, and wanted to celebrate a job well done, and this guy goes and ruins it! What a jerk! I must say, though, that they are TRUE ladies! They handled themselves with such dignity and poise. Any idiot can see that they are not "ho's." They have shown themselves to be above him, and is loud mouth, and I hope he was put to shame.

I agree that free speech is for your private life. Imus was at work. If my husband said that about anyone at work, or even remotely used a term like that, he would be fired. These celebrities have got to learn that just because they are on tv/radio that they cannot just go spouting off their mouth when ever they see fit. This wasn't another celeb he was talking about, but innocent "civilians" if you will.

I am not that crazy about all the PC stuff either (i.e. no Christmas, etc), but imo, this was different.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I don't agree that with him being fired. Look at all the rappers that say the exact same thing and profit from it!

I don't agree that it's the right thing to say, or that it's funny---in fact, I think it's rude, but I don't think he should have lost his job when it's acceptable for other men to say the same thing.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Maybe they need a rehab for saying the wrong thing.........I don't listen or watch people I don't like
Fern

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I absolutely agree with the decision to fire him. Freedom of speech carries responsibility, and his comments were racist and degrading to women. He crossed the line from being politically incorrect to offensive and inflammatory.

I am happy to see that the fan base was outraged, the sponsors withdrew their financial support, and justice was swift.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Al Sharpton is a joke to me......... he is so worried about what Imus said but fails to look into his own black community. There are rappers, actors, and sports figures that degrade their own culture. Especially the rappers, every other lyric downgrades women. They call them B's, Ho's, and are very sexual explicit.

I can say I am the first who is not prejudice, it is not a race thing.......(I am married to a wonderful black man)

Imus was wrong..... but why is it he cant say "nappy headed ho's" when on millions of stations across the country you hear worse in music. Like I said, Sharpton is a joke, so is Jessee Jackson.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think Imus was used as an example to all shock jocks, and anyone else that uses derogatory language. It is just not acceptable and I don't condone it. I also believe in free speech and I don't agree with him being fired anymore than I agree with how the dixie chicks were treated after they exercised their freedom of speech. If you don't like what they said don't buy their CD's but no one has the right to give death threats.
If people don't like Imus or his comments don't watch or listen to him. I personally don't like him and have never watched or listened to him. But others do and that is also their right.
I think Imus was right in apologizing, but when do we hear apologies from the rappers or anyone else that uses derogatory language? The leader of the New Black Panthers was on the news last night and refused to apologize to the Duke LaCrosse Men who were cleared of charges. Refusal based on race.
Isn't that racism?
It seems to me we all just muddle through and learn. But if I would close my heart and mind how do I learn.
Ok now I will stop ranting.....lol. Thanks all for the comments I was wondering what others felt.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I was listening to To the Point on NPR on the way to work, and someone, I thought made a good point. It is not a first amendment issue until the government, the FCC, gets involved.

It seems to me, as someone else said, that this is pretty much an economic scenario. He is working for a company that depends on sponsorships, and the sponsors have no obligation to support programming they dislike -- or that their customers, in sufficient numbers -- dislike. It is also true that the guy was at work, and the employer can determine what is appropriate or inappropriate behavior while on the job. If he had said it on the street corner after his show, then they would have no right to say or do anything.

Like all of you, I am not very happy with PC, and I am altogether in favor of free speech. But... I am also very unhappy with the general loss of civility in our society. So I would support his firing. Should we not stop one thief because others get away with petty theft? I don't think this will be the end of it however. He will easily find another venue if he wants it. And now he can be not just a premier shock jock, but the martyred one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts