Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD texted a friend on Friday, "I'm home with a cold; get any homework in algebra for me."

She re-texted today -- and found out that the teacher wouldn't send home a blank worksheet.

I think it's a power trip.

Anyway, I got the blank worksheet from the friend; ran it to the libary; xerox'd it; returned it to the friend's house; and now DD can do her homework.

I hope DD gets a chance to write a class critique for THAT teacher!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
What??? That's crazy! The only thing I can think of is that perhaps she needed that days lesson to complete the worksheet, but at least send it home and let her give it a try!

Have dd go to www.ratemyteacher.com She can write a critique right there.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Personally, I'd be calling the principal to ask the teacher. Is that their usual policy?

I'd like to know how that teacher ever gets all the grades in her gradebook? Kids are sick often! How does she keep up? Holy gradebook batman, what a nightmare!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I had the opposite problem with Kathryn's teacher who insisted on sending work home for 1 day of absence. Most of the time when they're home sick, they are too sick to be concentrating on work, and I don't think it's fair that the teacher expect the work to be completed the very next day.

I don't understand why your dd's teacher wouldn't send home her worksheet though. That does seem a bit off to me.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I believe it. I also believe that her reasoning may be because even if she sent it home, it might not get done. What would be the point, if the child is too sick to do work from home?

It could very well be a way to prevent any cheating. Some kids may have done it in the past and that's not to say your DD would do something like that. However, it may be an experience of the teacher's past that one or two of her students were cheating while they were home sick.

If I was the teacher, I'd probably not have sent home the work. I would, in turn, have her come in after school during the week before the material was done being reviewed to make sure that she got a good lesson that she had missed out on before.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It might depend on the teacher's philosophies, and she may not have been doing it to be mean.

My second grader's teacher, doesn't send home homework when kids are sick. They are given time in class when they return to school to complete the homework for short absences. They have "free periods" to catch up on work, and that is when they are expected to complete any late or missing homework, so she just has them do it then.

So maybe, she has a policy on that. I also know that some teachers won't send homework home with friends. My son's school will only send homework home for sick days, if the parent comes and picks it up. Even siblings in the same school can't pick it up for them! I think it has to do with the fact that the other kids, might not get the homework to the students. So at least if they give it to the parent, then they know it went home and can be expected to come back to school.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Some teachers have different policies concerning "make-up" work than others. Maybe this teacher gives students who miss class different work to do other than what was given in class. I had a teacher who did that, to keep kids from copying off of other students work.

Generally, when a child is sick the parent calls in and makes arrangements to pickup the school work the child will be missing...maybe the teacher would have given you the work.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Where we live homework is almost never sent home for a sick child, I don't know if it is the policy or what but most teacher here frown on sending home work to a sick child. We have triplets who are in different classes but all share the same teacher so I always get the work one way or another :~)

Eileen

·
Registered
193 Posts
Maybe the teacher didn't want to burden your daughter with homework, since she was too sick to come to class. If I was in your situation, I wouldn't jump to negative conclusions about the teacher's actions, or be quick to blast her with a negative critique. I'd politely ask her about her policy. She actually may have had your daughter's best interests in mind.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Does the school have a handbook that you daughter brought home at the beginning ot the year? If so, just browse through it and see if there is a standard shcool policy about how missed homework is handled when a child is ill and who the teacher will release it to, some schools are stricter than others.

If there isn't one then I would either call the teacher or principal and just get a clarification, perhaps there was no malice intended and if you find out opposite, you can get it cleared up in a jif.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just thought I'd share that a lot of times I don't send homework home for my Chem. students when parents call in for it. My reasoning is that the kids need to see me work the problems and have the notes first before working on the homework. If they aren't in class, then I feel all it would do for them is frustrate them prior to me even going over it with the student. Then they come in all worked up with this pre-conceived notion that what we are doing is hard and this makes it difficult to show them it isn't that bad...so I am one of those teachers. Now, if I am pushed to send it I will copy another child's notes and send it on....but typically the child won't have it done and I still have to go over it with them. It ends up I do double the work. Please, find out her reasoning before you become frustrated. It may not be what you think.
Dawn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts