Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a while I buy lottery tickets, just to test my luck, but I certainly don't do it every week, maybe once every month or two when I have some extra change.

I really disagree with the people who spend $40 a week, if not more, just to win nothing. It actually kinda makes me a little angry. I don't see why its necessary, I mean, most people complain about having to pay taxes but they have no problems giving the government $500+ a year on a hope that they might "win it big". Most people will never see that money again. Its really sad.

So, do you buy lottery?

·
27,948 Posts
I don't, but I like receiving scratch off tickets as a nice surprise on my b'day. I hate standing behind those that play this that & the other thing at the store. Wish they had a separate gambling lane. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Once in awhile I do..
We get a mega ticket if its a big amount. need to dream once in awhile.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I buy mega millions or a regular lotto ticket if it gets to a high amount. I only ever spend $1 at a time though. I also like to receive lotto scratchers for my birthday or Christmas. I will buy one for myself every once and awhile too. They are $2 each, so I won't buy them for myself very often.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I never have... I'm afraid to.

When I was 19 we went to Montana --where you can gamble at 19. And I spent close to $300. on the nickle games. After that I told myself "never again."

My husband, thankfully, thinks that there is no point in gambling. He says, "I have better things to spend my money on."

But twice-- in our married life-- he bought me scratch cards. They were my first, and only, form of over 21 gambling.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
We buy them occassionally. I know that the odds of winning are slim but what the heck, it is fun and does not cost much. I think if people are not using government money like welfare to purchase them that it is none of my business if they are buying them or not. If they are using my tax dollars to purchase them, that irritates me.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I don't buy them. I just feel the odds are too great against any significant winning.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
We buy the Powerball or Mega Millions when the amounts get way up there, and the times that I get gas at the gas station vs the grocery store I'll get a scratch off that I've never played before when I go in to pay for my gas.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I don't buy them. DH buys them occasionally with his spending allowance

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm like those that play once in a while. Only when it is like $200 million. I only buy 1-but I enjoy dreaming about everything that money could do.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We buy them occassionally. I know that the odds of winning are slim but what the heck, it is fun and does not cost much. I think if people are not using government money like welfare to purchase them that it is none of my business if they are buying them or not. If they are using my tax dollars to purchase them, that irritates me.
True Story here: Went to grocery store, saw woman pushing cart with scads of unruly kids, all reeked of cigarette smoke. Woman was actually SORTING through all of those WIC vouchers, holding them with hands that sported 5 inch false nails while barking at her kids to get the various items.She then proceeded to throw a couple of cartons, cases, whatever they are called, of Corona Beer in the second cart. Along with scads, and I mean scads of JUNK food.I went on and finished my shopping(OK, Ok, I did get a bottle of Boones Farm cause I was a little miffed by gosh.Cost me two bucks.)Saw same woman at gas station in her res runner buyin fifty, yes fifty dollars worth of LOTTO TICKETS. I say to myself, WTH??????So, do I buy lotto tickets. Hell no.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
No. Too cheap. I figure if I'm supposed to win the lottery, the winning ticket will blow in my car window while I'm driving down the street. Hasn't happened yet, but, who knows?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Once in awhile when the jackpot gets big. Dh buys scratch tickets sometimes and we have won $200. But not every week or even every other.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
There is a pool at work for the powerball. I throw in a dollar a week. Whenever there is a small win, the boss will roll that over into buying additional tickets. Other than that, I don't.

·
Registered
491 Posts
No. Too cheap. I figure if I'm supposed to win the lottery, the winning ticket will blow in my car window while I'm driving down the street. Hasn't happened yet, but, who knows?
HAHAHA I love this mentality! I think you have about the same chance of winning that way as you would if you actually bought the ticket. I think that will be my new philosophy too.

And as you may have guessed from my above response, no, I do not buy lotto tickets. Never have, never will.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Once in a very very rare while.
Dh has an affinity for them, but I think I've weaned him off them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
The lottery is against the law in our state.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts